Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 linebackers in on 3rd down??

jivelikenice

One of the criticisms of this trade has been that fact they we wouldn't be able to play all three linebackers on 3 downs and basically Briggs would be coming to play one 1st and 2nd down.....

My question for the football minds out there is in a 3-4, do they will have 3 linebackers in on 3rd down and passing situtations?? On 3rd down is it possible for the Redskins to send out 3 lineman and 3 linebackers (with the 5 in the secondary) and then rush either Briggs off the weakside of Washington off the strong side while keeping the o-line guessing on who's coming in?? Is that realistic and a true reflection of what 3-4 teams do on passing downs. I just haven't paid enough attention myself. I just think that it could be an interesting way to keep all 3 linebackers on the field together and could throw opposing offenses off.

I just don't see this as a concern because of this defensive coachign staff had three linebackers they were confident in I just don't see how they would take one out on critical 3rd downs....I mena look at the Ravens, they had Scott, Thomas, and Lewis in all game....

On 3rd down is it possible for the Redskins to send out 3 lineman and 3 linebackers (with the 5 in the secondary) and then rush either Briggs off the weakside of Washington off the strong side while keeping the o-line guessing on who's coming in??

I'm pretty sure Williams did quite a bit in '04 and '05, and probably some last year as well. He seems to like to use packages instead of single-player replacements, and I remember Washington grabbing a couple sacks in '05 off 3rd-down blitzes, so it's definitely an option.

I don't think it really matters. Even if he plays 3 downs....no weakside linebacker is worth 20 million in guaranteed money. It's absolutely ludicrous. Especially given Greg Williams propensity for getting great production out of relatively unknown linebackers (Pierce, Marshall)....this is insanity.

ravens dont have good CB's

only their starting CB's are good their 3rd and 4th suck

thats why they leave their LB's on

yeah, i would like to think if acquiring briggs, that we would do something similar because i'd rather have briggs and washington in coverage than mr. cushion and jimoh honestly

We are NOT going to install the 3-4 - we just do not have the D'Line people you need to run that system.

There is a way through you keep all 3 LB's on the field on 3rd down - you move Marcus Washington to a stand up DE role on 3rd down at LDE. He is a good rusher.

Briggs and Fletcher are good cover guys so could work the underneath coverages against the TE's and RB and maybe the odd slot guy as well. You could also run combination coverages with zone underneath man outside and up top etc.

All in all though I still think we are better off staying away from this potential trade - especially if the Bears want to sweeten the pot. They can take it or leave - and I hope they leave it.

Archived