Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#6 v. #31 (Based on recent history)

jivelikenice

Ok,

Instead of going over the numerous players who have been drafted around pick 6 and pick 31 and then debating on what we’re giving up, I went over the past 6 draft and looked who exactly went # 6, and who went #31…..You never know what will happen on any given draft BUT this is 6 years worth of picks and should at least give an idea of what has been happening with these selections and what we can expect:

2001:

• 6th pick- Richard Seymour (All Pro)

• 31st pick- Todd Heap (All Pro)

Comments- Advantage 6th pick but Heap is a great player too

2002:

• 6th Pick- Ryan Simms

• 31st pick- Robert Thomas

Comments- Both haven’t amounted to much in the league; Advantage Neither

2003:

• 6th Pick- Jonathan Sullivan

• 31st pick- Nnamdi Asomugha

Comments- Sullivan was cut and was a backup in New England/ Asomugha was a probowl corner last year; Advantage 31st overall

2004:

• 6th Pick- Kellen Winslow

• 31st pick- Rashaun Woods

Comments- Injuries aside this is advantage 6th pick bigtime; Woods has been a bust

2002:

• 6th Pick- Pac Man Jones

• 31st pick- Mike Patterson

Comments- Legal issues aside, both have been good players; Advantage slightly towards the 6th pick

2002:

• 6th Pick- Vernon Davis

• 31st pick- Kelly Jennings

Comments- Too early to tell. Both should be solid players

Only in one case was the 6th pick far superior to the player drafted at #31. To negate that there was one year where the 31st pick has clearly outperformed the 6th pick….In addition to #31, we would add Lance Briggs. I think history shows that on an average year the trade makes more sense……

Ok,

Instead of going over the numerous players who have been drafted around pick 6 and pick 31 and then debating on what we’re giving up, I went over the past 6 draft and looked who exactly went # 6, and who went #31…..You never know what will happen on any given draft BUT this is 6 years worth of picks and should at least give an idea of what has been happening with these selections and what we can expect:

2001:

• 6th pick- Richard Seymour (All Pro)

• 31st pick- Todd Heap (All Pro)

Comments- Advantage 6th pick but Heap is a great player too

2002:

• 6th Pick- Ryan Simms

• 31st pick- Robert Thomas

Comments- Both haven’t amounted to much in the league; Advantage Neither

2003:

• 6th Pick- Jonathan Sullivan

• 31st pick- Nnamdi Asomugha

Comments- Sullivan was cut and was a backup in New England/ Asomugha was a probowl corner last year; Advantage 31st overall

2004:

• 6th Pick- Kellen Winslow

• 31st pick- Rashaun Woods

Comments- Injuries aside this is advantage 6th pick bigtime; Woods has been a bust

2002:

• 6th Pick- Pac Man Jones

• 31st pick- Mike Patterson

Comments- Legal issues aside, both have been good players; Advantage slightly towards the 6th pick

2002:

• 6th Pick- Vernon Davis

• 31st pick- Kelly Jennings

Comments- Too early to tell. Both should be solid players

Only in one case was the 6th pick far superior to the player drafted at #31. To negate that there was one year where the 31st pick has clearly outperformed the 6th pick….In addition to #31, we would add Lance Briggs. I think history shows that on an average year the trade makes more sense……

great post! i don't think it is a bad trade...actually a really good one....I'd try to throw rocky in there for a secound round pick though

I don't believe in extrapolating results like this. There are so many issues to consider. For instance, couldn't you argue that the best teams (i.e. the ones the draft at #31) are the best teams for a reason, and the bad teams (i.e. those drafting at #6) are bad for a reason? Namely, good teams like the Pats know how to scout and pick players, and bad teams don't.

I don't believe in extrapolating results like this. There are so many issues to consider. For instance, couldn't you argue that the best teams (i.e. the ones the draft at #31) are the best teams for a reason, and the bad teams (i.e. those drafting at #6) are bad for a reason? Namely, good teams like the Pats know how to scout and pick players, and bad teams don't.

Now that is a good point! :applause:

It is not really apples to apples is it?

:helmet: The Rook

But it gives a good idea of what to expect. I understand the point about the qulaity of organizations but wouldn't you think the Chiefs are a good organization?? Well they had what I would call a bust in Ryan Simms. And again look at the Raiders....They get criticized almost as much as us and have made some very questionable decisions but they had a great pick at #31.....

Obvious not an exact science and the draft as a whole in any league isn't but I thought it was interesting to takle a step back and get an idea of what we're actually getting for what we've been giving up and was surpised at what I saw.....

Archived