Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FEELER / HYPOTHETICAL: Could Rogers Excel as Skins Free Safety

NattyLight

Please beg my pardon, the search feature was not functioning, thus the thread can be deleted at the discretion of the Mods.

This is a somewhat baseless suggestion, but a very old school, knowledgeable, realistic Redskins fan / co-worker suggested that with the acquisition of Smoot at CB, the retention of Prioleau (presumably a nickle back), and talk of either Springs for Bly or Springs retention, that Rogers may take up the FS spot.

I'm just curious regarding the fan bases opinion on this matter is.

My bad about the rumor deal. But I've been here long enough to know to use judgement when starting a thread, and if I thought this was completely baseless I wouldn't have started it.

So would the secondary look like this?

FS - Rogers

SS- Taylor

CB#1 - Springs/Bly (if we trade)

CB#2 - Smoot

Nickel - Prioleau

That is what I'm suggesting. Otherwise Prioleau would be a front runner for the FS position and in my opinion Rogers is more athletic than him.

I'm not sure how it would work, but I would like to see our DB's capable of playing multiple positions, and then let the coaches try out a few combos to see what works. The guys most capable of playing a few positions in my opinion are:

Taylor: FS or SS

Springs: CB, FS, maybe SS

Rogers: CB, FS, maybe SS

Any way you cut it, on paper, if you start 4 db's I'd rather see Taylor, Springs, Rogers, and Smoot on the field. I'm not sure how to shuffle them, but they are the best players. Preliou is the next best option, but he is a cover guy, and not a run stopper, plus it is yet to be seen if there are lasting injury affects. I know that everyone expects him to be better, but it is far from certain...

Prioleau is not going to be a nickle back he will be the starting safety with stoutmire being his back up. I believe our nickle will be Jimoh.

It's one thing to say that this is an option, but it's a whole different stance to assume that he will be fully recovered. By training camp this year, he will have only had 10 months to recover, which would be a quick recovery for an ACL injury, especially at a position that is all about quickness and cutting...

Prioleau is not going to be a nickle back he will be the starting safety with stoutmire being his back up. I believe our nickle will be Jimoh.

Nickle will be Smoot, with Rogers and Springs starting. I think there is a chance Smoot can jump Rogers for starting, but he would have to earn it big time. Jimoh will be our 4th.

I know the constant round these parts is depth, but there's just something about the signing of Smoot that confuses me. He's (was) an above average corner and a fan favorite...so...are you going to start him or not?

Carlos Rogers WILL play, but what about Springs (or replacement)? There just seems to be one too many corner's in the loop.

I'll go on record saying that Rogers at FS could be some nastiness.

Nickle will be Smoot.

^^^ This was my original hypothesis upon hearing that we acquired him and the position I took in the argument.

But then when the idea of Rogers at FS was presented, I thought "um, he's a little too small (light) to be play FS, but if he threw on 20lbs...he could be a beastmaster."

I haven't be able to shake the thought out of my head. I like this more than the ST at linebacker hypothetical.

First of all Shawn isn't going now where. And to be honest I really think Carlos can be the next Darrell Green. Maybe not as good as him but with a little practice and hardwork he will be great. Darrell Green maybe not, but a really good Cornerback yes.

^^^ This was my original hypothesis upon hearing that we acquired him and the position I took in the argument.

But then when the idea of Rogers at FS was presented, I thought "um, he's a little too small (light) to be play FS, but if he threw on 20lbs...he could be a beastmaster."

I haven't be able to shake the thought out of my head. I like this more than the ST at linebacker hypothetical.

I generally agree with you, except for the part about him being too small. I think he's listed at 6' 205 lb, which is maybe a little light for a FS, but FS's are usually cover guys, so I don't think weight would be an issue....

for reference, Reggie Nelson, and Micheal Griffin are 198 and 202 respectively...

All that being said, 10 more lbs wouldn't hurt...unless it really slowed him down...

At the very least, this idea is possible. If we can pick up another DB in the draft, we have enough players to compensate for an injury. But dont forget about Reed Doughty. I heard that the coaches love this kid and his potential.

What it all depends on is the draft. If we trade down and get Landry, this idea is bye-bye.

I generally agree with you, except for the part about him being too small. I think he's listed at 6' 205 lb, which is maybe a little light for a FS, but FS's are usually cover guys, so I don't think weight would be an issue....

All that being said, 10 more lbs wouldn't hurt...unless it really slowed him down...

Listed on NFL.com (quicksearch) at 195...so we're on the same page.

BTW, it should be noted some of the scouting reports on Carlos coming out of Auburn. He ran a 4.4 and had a 40" vertical and was touted as a pure athlete with better man to man skills than zone. Also, he won the Thorpe award as the best DB his senior year.

Anyway, basically I think he is capable of it but I'd just like to see him actually play man to man or bump and run for a full season instead of this "3rd down, 12 yards off the LOS stuff" that was so prevalent in GW's system all last season.

Carlos' scouting report out of Auburn:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/rogers_carlos

Positives: Well-built, strong athlete with good overall muscle tone, broad shoulders, thick chest, long, muscular arms, good bubble and a V-shaped torso … Tough, physical player who takes well to hard coaching … Showed great improvement in his play in 2004, as he no longer seemed hesitant in his reactionary skills or afraid of giving up the big play … Shows good acceleration to the ball and looks comfortable playing the wide corner position in a Cover-2 scheme, where he can sit and read underneath and break downhill … He has exceptional timed speed, but sometimes it does not translate to the field (takes extra steps in transition) … Has adequate body control to make adjustments on the move and shows urgency getting into position to defend the ball … Has the strength to challenge and press receivers at the line of scrimmage … Shows the speed to run and recover on deep routes … Does a good job of maintaining hand placement to reroute receivers and has the change-of-direction agility to stay on his man's hips, even when they execute double moves … Displayed better hand usage around the line of scrimmage in 2004, getting good leverage when he utilized his hands to stack and control … More of a drag-down type of tackler, but stays low in his pads and takes better angles to the ball than he did earlier in his career.

Negatives: Showed much more confidence in his athletic ability in 2004, but in the past he would struggle in off coverage and give up too much cushion on the ball. It looked like he was hesitant to give up the big play … Has improved his work habits, but will do his "own thing" at times and needs to work in a structured environment to get the best out of his skills … Played mostly in man coverage in 2004 and had good success there, but still does not show a good feel to anticipate routes and is late on his turn when he peeks into the backfield too long … Has the speed to run with the receivers, but shuffles his feet too much through routes and lacks ideal hip snap to turn and run in transition … Can locate the receivers in front of him in zone coverage, but gets up on his heels too much … Not a fan of run support, as he gets tied up by combo blocks and gets soft when he has to face up to offensive linemen … Lunges and leaves his feet too much when making open-field tackles … The staff calls him a "coach on the field," but he has only adequate field awareness, shows stiffness in his turns, still allows too much separation and needs several reps to retain plays … Strictly a boom-or-bust type that may be better served in a Cover-2 system.

Archived