Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CB Dre Bly Traded To Denver (merged)

BayouBrave86

Damn, guess that means the Skins won the trade. Denver will just have to be satisfied with their corner who has been 1st Team All-Pro all 3 years in Denver, including his unanimous selection this year. The next All-Pro vote Clinton receives will be his first as a Skin.

Ok, so champ doing good for the broncos negates the fact that Clinton Portis elevates this team by himself? Tell me who made the bigger impact on their team?

And you can have all-pro labels, I'll take a guy who sets franchise records at a position of some very notable lineage at his position on a team with the history of the Redskins..

Champ does not carry his team, and his effectiveness can be circumvented by throwing to the other side of the field. Never mind the fact that he gets beat just like every other corner. Granted, it's less than most, but he's not shutdown.

If Springs weren't hurt so often, we wouldn't be looking for another CB, but the broncos would still be looking for another RB to replace Portis.

Here are some numbers to chew on for you regarding the Portis/bailey trade:

in 2005/2006

the broncos were

2nd in offensive rushing

28th against the pass

the Redskins were

7th in offensive rushing

10th against the pass

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=7

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=8&_1:col_2=7

This is in a year where both teams went to and won a playoff game. You tell me who made the bigger difference for their team.

Here are some numbers to chew on for you regarding the Portis/bailey trade:

in 2005/2006

the broncos were

2nd in offensive rushing

28th against the pass

the Redskins were

7th in offensive rushing

10th against the pass

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RUSHING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=7

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2005/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=8&_1:col_2=7

This is in a year where both teams went to and won a playoff game. You tell me who made the bigger difference for their team.

It's funny to see these people that are still in denial about the Bailey for Portis trade. At best you can say both teams benefited if you ignore the injury history. At worst the Skins got a player that can't stay healthy and has made the pro bowl once for a three time all-pro corner and a running back they just traded for another good corner.

Those stats are funny too. One man runs the ball, while 11 people are responsible for the pass defense. Pointing at a number and pretending that proves that Champ is bad would work if Champ played all eleven positions, but it does not. You must be ten years old. Denver has a very weak pass rush and they've had troubles at the other corner spot. The past two times the Colts have played the Broncos Marvin Harrison has had four catches for thirty yards. The problem is the other receivers were lighting it up.

That's why this trade is so good for Denver. They give up a Tackle that was just awful, (He was directly responsible for Cutler getting a concussion in the Niners game) a change of pace back that can't stay healthy and has fumblitis, and they switch their fifth for Detroit's sixth which amounts to two points on the draft value chart.

Denver knows that they're doing.

I see so Clinton Portis also lines up at LT, RG, C, LG, RT and TE throws downfield blocks and provides the lead blocks for himself AND opens up the running game by adding a viable passing attack well I am glad we have that cleared up then.

The Broncos traded two starters (who had an up and down career in Denver) and a draft pick for an aging star yet that is a "great move". We trade a guy who wasn't even under contract (he had not signed his franchise offer at the time) for a guy who runs for 1300 yards in a down year and people hate on the FO all the time for it.

If Denver goes to the superbowl backed on the fact no one can pass on them then I take all this back. But look at Denver and you look at a slightly more sucessful AFC mirror of the Skins. They are always active in the FA, thier DL is mostly Cleavland Brown retreds, they don't trade picks away like us but they do trade young developmental players (Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Ashly Lelie) looking for that quick fix to get them over the hump .

That's why this trade is so good for Denver. They give up a Tackle that was just awful, (He was directly responsible for Cutler getting a concussion in the Niners game) a change of pace back that can't stay healthy and has fumblitis, and they switch their fifth for Detroit's sixth which amounts to two points on the draft value chart.

A starting RT is "just awful"...hmmm...He was definatly up and down but the guy started 40+ games in 3 years and was a 1st round pick and if he was "just awful" he wouldn't be a starter, there are always alternatives.

And a change of pace back that averaged 4.9 yards/carry has fumbled the ball 9 times in his career thats once every 53 carries. Yes he cannot stay healthy he has never played a 16 game season but he has averaged over three years 781 yards per season and that is not as a FT starter.

Yes Denver "knows" what it is doing...

Well, when a guy is 29 and not even 30 and you say 30 something... that is misrepresenting the truth... but slant away fellas.... what ever can make you feel better about your team.

Ermm th guy will be 30 this season...unless you know something else about unanounced games I was not aware the NFL played games in May though I may be wrong - So Bly will or will not be 30 or 30 something when season starts ..

It's funny to see these people that are still in denial about the Bailey for Portis trade. At best you can say both teams benefited if you ignore the injury history. At worst the Skins got a player that can't stay healthy and has made the pro bowl once for a three time all-pro corner and a running back they just traded for another good corner.

Those stats are funny too. One man runs the ball, while 11 people are responsible for the pass defense. Pointing at a number and pretending that proves that Champ is bad would work if Champ played all eleven positions, but it does not. You must be ten years old. Denver has a very weak pass rush and they've had troubles at the other corner spot. The past two times the Colts have played the Broncos Marvin Harrison has had four catches for thirty yards. The problem is the other receivers were lighting it up.

Nobody's in denial, you just seem to be unable to grasp a simple point. Champ is great, and I wish like hell we could have kept him. I still have Champ's jersey hanging in my closet.

But the simple fact is Clinton plays at a position that can elevate his whole team, while Champ can only take away one facet of another.

It certainly was not Champs fault that everyone could throw on the broncos by throwing against his fellow cover guys in 2005 who were weaker than him. So I do not blame him for the 28th ranking. But Portis most certainly was responsible for our # 7 ranking in rushing. And thats the point, you guys got a top player at his position and so did we, but your guy can be circumvented by simply throwing to the other reciever, while it takes 8 men or more to negate Portis.

And the fact remains that if Springs weren't injured, we wouldn't be possibly looking for an additional starting caliber CB like we are, but you would still most certainly be looking to replace what Portis did for you regardless.

In denver's system you can get a 1,000 back no problem, but you can't seem to find one that can dominate like Portis did.

You got Bailey and Bell, and we got Portis and the cap space to sign Springs. If we find a way to keep Springs in D.C and healthy, I like our side of the trade a whole lot more than I like yours.

Archived