Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Blog - Free Agent Update

D-Day

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Free Agent Update

Heard today that the Skins agreed to a one-year deal with Mike Pucillo, probably for close to the vet. min.

The Skins are also talking to Todd Yoder and that one could get done in a few days as well. From what I have heard, the team is not showing interest in many other tight ends.

I imagine Vernon Fox deal is something else that could get done by the end of the week as well, but haven't heard anything concrete on that one.

Still working on Dockery. Still looking at Flecher and Clements as the top targets in free agency.

Also, still trying to pin down precisely what the Skins most likely new MLB wants to be called. The NFLPA has him listed as London Fletcher. Many NFL periodicals do the same. So I figured, okay, let's just call his agent and find out for certain what to call the guy ... Problem is his agent is Drew "Next Question" Rosenhaus, so we'll see when he gets around to calling me back.

DCsween has a guest blog that I'll get up Wednesday morning. Skins will cut a few more players by Thursday's deadline, will likely get a restructuring or two done by then as well (sorry, Lisa, but highly unlikely to be Springs by then), and then we'll be off to the races come Friday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highlighted the interesting parts to me.

Newest entry by JLC:

Odds and Ends and Smoot and Brunell

Frost got tendered today (actually received the $850,000 contract). Boschetti did not but the Skins told his agent they would be interested in bringing him back at a lower salary this offseason. So he becomes a UFA. Can not say with complete certainty that Molinaro - the other restricted free agent on the roster - did not get tendered, but I would be stunned if he did.

Also, got off the phone with Smoot's agent about 2 minutes ago. He hasn't been cut yet. Will he be cut? Almost certainly. Could it happen later tonight? Sure?

Has he been informed of his release as of this minute - no.

When it does go down, as I have been saying, look for the Skins to be in the mix.

Okay, I think that's all I have for now. Want to sneak in a lil time with Chloe and give her a bath, then I'll be on the cell all night in the basement, so if I get anything else I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, shoot, the Brunell cap hit is now about $3.3 from what I hear, down from $6.7. he gets around the vet. min in base (820,000), and has a June roster bonus that kicks in after mini camp (I believe around $1 million). So, if for any reason the labrum is still a problem and he can't go, the Skins are off the hook if they want to get out; they would carry his camp number through the spring but will have paid him nothing.

Throw in the existing proration from his original signing bonus ($1.5) and, viola, there you have it for a new cap figure. Also, he would get some small roster bonuses just before the season, but no signing bonus and nothing guaranteed.

Springs remains the #1 question mark.

They must be waiting to see how the Clements negotiations shape up before making a move with him.

Springs over DOCK? Dock is one of our own and hes not that bad, hes gettin better, and O-Line played relly well toward the end of the season, why would we mess with it now?

Springs over DOCK? Dock is one of our own and hes not that bad, hes gettin better, and O-Line played relly well toward the end of the season, why would we mess with it now?

cause hes slow and clumsy and trips up our runningbacks and limits what our offense can do.

Archived