Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft and FA

CommDownMan

Option 2 is more up my Alley. I like Carriker, and while I don't think Guard is a crucial area at the moment if we were to have the option to grab a really quality guy in round 2 I would not be against it.

I mentioned this if we don't sign Dock...would you think its crucial then??

Round 2: Justin Harrell, DT, Tenesee. He a solid run stuffer who will drop due to a season ending injury. He will displace Golston as a starter almost immediately, allowing Golston to be used in a more suitable passing-down role.

will he be ready at season start, and is it a lingering issue??

Well, if the Skin's get a case of the trade downs ( which I hope ) how about this:

1. Trade our 1st to Miami for thier 1st, 2d, and 4th

2. Trade down again to a team needing a reciever or saftey for their 1st and 2d

3. Trade Betts to Detriot for the 2d ( Jones might not even play next year )

1. Carriker

Lions 2d rounder - Brian Leonard ( bigger than Betts, much stronger than Betts, better hands than Betts, and as fast as Betts - the big pounding back we need to finish games and out new 3d down back

Fins 2d rounder - Brandon Merriweather

last 2d rounder - Dan Bazuin - 6'3" DE, 35 sacks true force in the backfield

4th rounder - Josh Wilson

Sign Thomas, Hood, Sands

Think of the Dline possibilites, on running downs Carriker, Sands, Griff, Goldston

passing downs - Bazuin, Carriker, Goldston, Carter

( Rumor has it that Vinnie is looking for someone to play 2d base and makes a great martini )

Fletcher and Clements (pricey, but worth it) would be the two big FAs we get, and also some key players to fill in backup roles. Somebody is definitely going to want to trade w/ us with the number of good players that will be available in the draft. The problem is, will the Skins get the full worth from trading that 6th pick? I ouldn't be surprised if the Skins stayed put, drafted a D-lineman, and used '08 picks to obtain a 2nd rounder this year, and nabbed another D-lineman.

That being said, I really hope the Skins do trade down. They could always play it smart, and swap picks w/ someone who is desparate. Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Brady Quinn are the three guys that will inspire that desperation. One of those three will fall to us, and we will have a hell of a bargaining chip. The only problem is that other teams might try to stiff us knowing we won't pick that player, and they may feel they can wait on them, or trade w/ someone right below us.

Our best-case scenario would be to trade down only 4 spots, or so, and pick-up a 2nd rounder from that team as well. This would allow us to still grab either Branch, Anderson, Okoye, or Adams. The Skins could even have the chance to trade down another three or four spots, and still grab Okoye or Adams. It really depends on who exactly it is that the Skins are interested in. IMO, one of the D-lineman we grab will be one who impressed in the Senior Bowl. That seems to be the trend w/ most of Gibbs draft picks. The Skins could also use the new 2nd rounder to grab a position of need, or could use it w/ '08 picks to trade into the lower first, thus picking up two solid guys for the D-line. There are so many scenarios that could happen. I just hope the moves we make will be the right ones. So far, I think Gibbs has done well in the draft, and I hope that continues.

My ideal offseason would be to sign some FA backups for the offensive line, sign Fletcher and Clements. Trade down a few spots and draft Branch or Anderson, whichever is available still, and use the extra picks acquired to trade up and grab either a DT or DE, depending on which position was previously drafted. Then draft a corner and big, well-blocking TE. Not to mention cutting some of the "dead weight" currently on the roster. If Dock doesn't re-sign, then re-sign Wade (re-sign him anyway) and pick-up Pettigout also.

I mentioned this if we don't sign Dock...would you think its crucial then??

will he be ready at season start, and is it a lingering issue??

I honestly think we would be OK at Guard, even without Dock. Would I like to see someone else brought in? Sure, but we can't fix everything all at once and the de seems like the priority to me. Overall I am inclined to believe that what happened with our line towards then end of last season(them playing increbly well) had more to do with the new scheme clicking that it did with the individual talents on the line itself. As long as everyone knows their job and is pysically adequate to the task, we will be fine. This system simply works. I like Dock, and hope he stays here, but I suspect some other team might like him too and throw him big money just to rub it in our faces. If that is the case, then I think we can fill his shoes with a reasonably priced FA or promote from within with success. I actually think Todd Wade might make a decent Guard if we can hold onto him.

As for Harrell's injury, it was a ruptured biceps tendon and he is expected to be ready to work out at the combine so next season would not be a problem. He actually played through the injury the week after he got hurt in an effort to help his team beat Florida, a division rival. I don't think he's a world beater, but he looks like a better all around DT than Golston and could be a steal due to the fact that he might drop as a result of that injury.

The only reason I left LB out of the draft is a three year deal with Fletcher would make sense. His last season would be as backup to next years first rounder, and we would get sufficient production this year. Next year he would be rotated and training the rook.

Pit**** has been dropping and Mebane was listed a a hard worker (thinking he would be a good "true redskins")

I assumed Fletcher would be acquired. Even still, he is a stopgap and it would make sense to draft someone this year that could gradually become a force as Fletcher begins to fade. Trust me when I say that Fletcher is on the downside of his career.

Moreover, Waters is just a monster. I hate Clemson, but this guy was a true monster out on the field. If he hadn't gotten injured last season, he would be the top MLB in this draft. Waters would be a tremendous value in the third round. He would be great depth on a team that would have all 30+ year old starters should Fletcher join the team.

Also, Rory Johnson is my sleeper pick. I have a feeling that he would stick on our roster. After spending two years in JUCO, he really came on with Ole Miss last season. He kind of reminds me of Shawn Barber in build and athleticism. Again, we need some youth in our LB corps, so it would be nice to draft some depth.

Finally, Pit**** has first round talent, something that Mebane lacks. I don't know why Pit**** is falling in some scouts' eyes, but he was definately impressive on the field. Come draft day, I have a tough time seeing any DT surpassing him at that third spot (behind Branch and Okoye).

Archived