Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Norv Factor: Stars built by Norv Turner

Seabee1973

what a joke some of these players werew in the league a few years before norv coached them a few had good seasons before Norv came along.

The sickest thing is how could Norv had developed Doug flutie?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0702/gallery.nfl.NorvFactor/content.1.html

Sorry Mods Thought i was in the ATN thread could you please move?

Gus Frerotte? :laugh:

SI has a very loose definition of the word "star."

Yeah, there were a lot of really questionable calls on that there list. Frank Gore had a hell of a season, but a star? Ricky Williams? You really want to associate yourself with him (and invite comparisons between him and TO)? And taking credit for LT? And as the first poster said, Doug Flutie? Are you ****ing kidding me? Garbage garbage garbage

But whatever, let SI talk him up. Get all of Big D demanding him and getting their hopes up. And, God willing, the city will forget what a complete failure he is as a HC. That is, until this time next year...

Norv's a Great, Amazing OCoordinator, he just can not get it done at the highest level and never will. If they're gonna give him credit for Frerotte then they sure as hell better give him credit for Shuler. Flutie confuses me because Doug was Never a star in the NFL, and he played like 15 years before Norv even met him.

One by one.

Troy Aikman.

No question that I'll give Norv credit for developing Aikman. Troy was on his way to bustsville after two years before Norv got a hold of him.

Emmitt Smith

No. Emmitt was a fine runner who had a ton of heart (something you can't teach or even bring out in someone you either have it or you don't) and was lucky enough to play behind a great offensive line for the most productive part of his career. I don't see where Norv gets credit for developing Emmitt.

Terry Allen

No. Terry Allen was a 2 time 1000 yard runner for the Vikings by the time the Skins got him in 1995. Norv did not develop him.

Gus Frerotte

I give Norv credit for Gus. Yes Gus never became a star. But Norv did develop him into a solid starter.

Stephen Davis

Tough call. On the one hand Stephen was a potential 1st round talent coming out of Auburn who dropped to the 4th round. Tough to credit developing someone who has that kind of talent. Also, Norv didn't seem to keen on Stephen early on. He moved him to fullback and used Skip Hicks as our primary runner when Terry Allen got hurt in 98. But, I'll give Norv credit that Stephen Davis became a much better runner in 1999 than he was in 1997 when he got his shot after Allen went down early.

Ladanien Tomlinson

No. Tomlinson was a 1st round back. He already had the talent from day 1. In fact one could say that he's become a truly great back only after Norv left.

Brad Johnson

Are they high? Brad Johnson enjoyed a fine year in 1999 (best by a Skins QB since the Super Bowl season) but he was putting up good numbers in Minnesota. His problem was he was always getting hurt. In 1999, he finally stayed healthy. By the way, if Norv "developed" Brad then he deserves blame for Brad regressing badly in 2000. Denny Green or perhaps Brian Billick (but with his track record in Baltimore I'm now not so sure) deserves credit for Brad Johnson.

Doug Flutie

Give me a break. Flutie truly developed in the CFL. He was a marginal QB in Chicago and New England. He went to the CFL and prospered and when he came back (to Buffalo) he was a different QB and played pretty well. Norv gets no credit.

Ricky Williams

So now just because a player has his career year under Norv that Norv gets credit for that player? Ricky was an elite runner before Norv. Again, I don't see how Norv gets credit for this.

Lamont Jordan

Wow 1025 yards. Yeah, Norv really found a gem there. Also, perhaps Jordan's numbers fell because he had injuries in 2006 and also they regressed at the QB position so the passing game was no longer as big a threat? No, that would make too much sense....let's just credit good ole Norv.

Alex Smith

I'm going to give Norv credit for Alex. I really thought the 49ers blew it big time with Smith. He was a disaster in 05 and Norv really did turn that guy around last season. By the way SI, Alex Smith was drafted in 2005. What a joke that publication has become.

Frank Gore

Gore reminds me of the development of Stephen Davis. It's a tough call, but I think I'll go ahead and give Norv credit for Gore.

I think the guys that SI are leaving out are Jim Everett and Trent Green.

I believe Jim Everett exploded in 1988 under Norv after 2 years of mediocre play for the Rams.

Trent Green was a journeyman 3rd stringer and after being developed by Norv for 3 seasons, had a fine "debut" season in 1998 which led to a big contract from the Rams.

Trent Green was a journeyman 3rd stringer and after being developed by Norv for 3 seasons, had a fine "debut" season in 1998 which led to a big contract from the Rams.

Trent Green blossomed after being tutored for 2 years under our then QB coach, Mike Martz.

Trent Green blossomed after being tutored for 2 years under our then QB coach, Mike Martz.

You may be right, but the QB position is Norv's baby. That's where he spends most of his time. Martz was our QB coach for 2 years. It's certainly possible that he developed Trent in 97 and had him playing pretty well in 98. But Trent was here since 95. I think it was more than Martz.

But your point is well taken. Until a player tells us who he credits his development to (like Aikman has done with Norv) we all really don't know.

Was it the HC? Was it the coordinator? Was it the position coach?

Archived