Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let Al Do It, Joe

Oldfan

Best post in the tread, thanks!!!

Here's what I think you'll hear against you're point...the offense didn't give the Defense enought rest, and/or the D was hurt this year.

Neither points matter, it was what it was #1 as far as injuries. #2, Gibbs had plenty of 3 and outs or quick scoring drives that kept the D on the field as well.....The Tampa Playoff game??? He relied on his Defense to win that game and the Seattle game, :doh: ROGERS PLEASE LEARN TO CATCH!!!

But i can compare Saunders career vs Gibbs career. Saunders was fired as a head coach already. His offense put up numbers but got him no where in KC. NO WHERE.

And Gibbs was out of the league for 12 yrs. I THINK THAT COUNTS A LITTLE.

What team is going to come out of the gate rolling with a first year OC??? This O-line never bought into Al's system because they felt that they had a scheme/formula that worked at the end of last season.

The leadership on this team is so screwed up that they have allowed the players to revolt against a proven OC.

Although Al supposedly asked them (the OL) to do something that they were not used to, they still should have given 110% effort and at the very least be physical with the guy across from them. Football is football, where you have to beat the get across from you, period. They started doing that and attributed it to getting back to "Redskins Football" when all they did was just "Man-Up". They could have "Man'd-Up" in Al's scheme but they chose not to...

The Saints come to mind. As far as the rest of your post, I think you are DEAD ON. Our offense sucked at the end of last year and did need an infusion of modern style, the leadership was so stuck on one lucky playoff berth that they ignored the best O coordinator in the game. Extremely angering.

The Saints come to mind. As far as the rest of your post, I think you are DEAD ON. Our offense sucked at the end of last year and did need an infusion of modern style, the leadership was so stuck on one lucky playoff berth that they ignored the best O coordinator in the game. Extremely angering.

Saunders modern style got him fired as a head coach. And has never won anything as a cordinator.

Saunders should not be on this team. How you can not speak to the best player on your offense is beyond me. His ego hurt the team. Why was Portis not involved in the passing game?

But i can compare Saunders career vs Gibbs career. Saunders was fired as a head coach already. His offense put up numbers but got him no where in KC. NO WHERE.

So, you think Joe was stupid for bringing Al here.

I don't understand why people are hatin' on Joe like that.:laugh:

Uh, when was Saunders ever a head coach? Maybe you are confusing him with Williams....

Jason

Saunders was a head coach in the 1980s man.:doh:

I know Saunders fans do not want to hear that. But he has failed else where.

And i can see why he failed. You have a grudge vs Clinton Portis? Portis being involved in the passing game would of helped him in those road NFC east games.

Saunders modern style got him fired as a head coach. And has never won anything as a cordinator.

Saunders should not be on this team. How you can not speak to the best player on your offense is beyond me. His ego hurt the team. Why was Portis not involved in the passing game?

LET ME ASK YOU THIS Why did he need to talk to portis ???Portis was hurt the entire season and was never a factor in the success or failure of the team??

LET ME ASK YOU THIS Why did he need to talk to portis ???Portis was hurt the entire season and was never a factor in the success or failure of the team??

Listen to the Portis interview. Portis was not involved in the passing game at all.He was in 05.

So when Portis was in the game teams knew he would not get the ball.

That is important.

Listen to the Portis interview. Portis was not involved in the passing game at all.He was in 05.

So when Portis was in the game teams knew he would not get the ball.

That is important.

You are missing the point of all this How much did Portis play last year ANSWER Hardly at all TY

you mean Saunders 2 year head coaching stint 18 years ago? He inherited a bad team that had an aging Fouts his first year, and Pittsburg leftover Mark Malone his second year.

In KC, Saunders offenses were ranked 1, 1, 2, 6, in 2002- 2005 respectively. They were 16th in his first year with the benifit of a good QB.

In KC, the Cheifs defense in those same years were ranked 32, 29, 31, 25 respectively in those same years.

The Redskins in 2006 were 31st in defense.

Like Uno said, give Saunders Campbell, Portis and the a top 10 defense, you have a different story.

When Portis did play. He was not involved. It was mostly Betts.

Saunders ran the passing game and called all the plays.

And the few times Portis did play it was nothing more than a smoke screen to keep the other teams quessing because in reality Portis shoulder was never fully healed from the pre season injury and him using his other arm to help protect his bad shoulder is the reason he broke his hand

Saunders was a head coach in the 1980s man.:doh:

Sorry, but I forgot about the Chargers. As for KC, tho, it isn't because of the offense that those teams failed. It is because they never really got the defense to support the offense.

2005 16 16 30 216 7.2 23 0 2 0 13

2006 8 7 17 170 10.0 74 0 2 1 5

Well, it sure looks like he was on pace to receive the ball more than he was in 05. Nice for a guy not involved in the passing game. :doh: I know he'd like to get the ball more, but that's what happens when you are valuable as a blocker.

Jason

you mean Saunders 2 year head coaching stint 18 years ago? He inherited a bad team that had an aging Fouts his first year, and Pittsburg leftover Mark Malone his second year.

In KC, Saunders offenses were ranked 1, 1, 2, 6, in 2002- 2005 respectively. They were 16th in his first year with the benifit of a good QB.

In KC, the Cheifs defense in those same years were ranked 32, 29, 31, 25 respectively in those same years.

The Redskins in 2006 were 31st in defense.

Like Uno said, give Saunders Campbell, Portis and the a top 10 defense, you have a different story.

Saunders offense effects the defense. He does not really do well in down and distance. You should read the Parcells article in nytimes.

NFC east coaches were happy when Gibbs gave up the plays.

I have no idea why Gibbs brought Saunders in here.

Redskins vs Cheifs last year. The Redskins offense looked better than the Cheifs. They had more yards, first downs and explosive plays.

But Cartwright fumbled for a touchdown and Brunell fumbled in the red zone.

His modern day NFL record as an OC is better than Joe Gibbs so whats your point?

His modern day offense is better than Gibbs so whats your point?

Clinton is one of my favorite players but right now its Portis ego that is the problem...

he takes the same mentality that some of the fans have taken after that lightning in a bottle limited success we had in 05....

He feels he knows it all so he didnt by into the system...

Tell me how its good enought to make..

LJ

Preist Holmes

Marshall faulk

Break records and have probowl seasoms.... yet Gibbs has not sent portis to the pro bowl in his two season?...

If you add Betts and Portis numbers this season we have a NFC pro bowl starter....cant say the same for gibbs II and his 'smash mouth' running game can you?

I dont care how you look at it the numbers are consistant in 'modern day" for saunders.....cant say the same about ole Joe so can it..

add to that Uno, when Saunders offense at KC was supposely negatively effecting the defense, they still went 13-3, 10-6, 8-8 all while in the bottom 4 in defense in the NFL.

Give him a decent defense like we had in 2004/2005, healthy Portis, a QB that offers a deep threat, things will be different.

Gibbs forced Brunell on Saunders. If Saunders had any say Brunell would have bee sittin on the bench rather than tossing those weak 5 yard passes.

Before you can judge Saunders you have to let him have this offseason and next season with Campbell in the lineup.

add to that Uno, when Saunders offense at KC was supposely negatively effecting the defense, they still went 13-3, 10-6, 8-8 all while in the bottom 4 in defense in the NFL.

Give him a decent defense like we had in 2004/2005, healthy Portis, a QB that offers a deep threat, things will be different.

That whole he hurts the defense thing that some people are using is complete BS....

alot of the long drives the D gave up this season came on the first defensive series after half time...So who do you blame then? Joe gibbs for saying his speech too short...?

The bulk of the others came after we went on drives of 60+ yards or after we scored to take a lead and the d gave the lead right back....

Everyone knew our O would struggle some...

But now they are being blamed for how bad the D was?...

Thats the dumbest **** I have ever heard.....

I bet KC would have love to have an offense that scored too quickly last week against Indy...:doh:

What team is going to come out of the gate rolling with a first year OC???

I like the rest of your post, but your first question need only be answered with:

Brian Schottenheimer's 35 year old ass making the Jets respectable on offense - I mean - they did make the playoffs didn't they? With Chad Pennington and The Toe??? No running game outside of Leon Washington???

The Saints rolled out a completely new offensive system under Payton with rookies starting along the offensive line and a rookie WR and a QB coming off of surgery.

This offense is gonna be just fine. We were steamrolling people towards the end of the year WITHOUT Portis and with a raw QB who had zero chemistry with his WR's.

My concern is the defense, but I trust that Gibbs can get it done.

Let's assume that Brunell had an equal number of passing attempt for Saunders in 2006 as he had for Gibbs in 2005. Based on yards per completion, the numbers would look like this:

Brunell/Saunders = 3123

Brunell/Gibbs = 3050

Let's also assume that, if given the chance with Saunders, Portis would have matched Betts ypc average. Based on the same number of carries he had in 2005 for Gibbs the yardage numbers would look like this:

Portis/Saunders = 1654

Portis/Gibbs = 1516

Archived