Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flashes of the Future??

GOSKN5

Today I saw flashes of what I hope the future holds....I was very impressed with this team and their effort today... they are not playing for the playoffs... they are just playing for themselves, their team, and pride... i was very very pleased to see them out there hustling and giving it their all today...

i have always been impressed with a team that continues to fight when they are out of the running... think how we as the fans have a hard time getting motivated when our team is eliminated...>>??

the players are going to get paid either way... they are going to be on the field next week either way... so the fact that they came out and fought today really showed me some heart that this team has....

FLASHES OF THE FUTURE:

1. Andre Carter: has started to show up in the last few games and really broke out today.. he was in the Qbs face and making plays quite a bit, he had a sack and would have probably had a safety if not for two guys holding him that the officials overlooked.

2. Jason Campbell: doubters, na sayers, come on.. no way you didnt see the potential in this guy this week and in the past few weeks... he needs to work on mechanics some.. he needs to work on accuracy some... but his deep balls are gorgeous... simply gorgeous... and he has a cannon.. he can make all the throws necessary to lead a team to good good places...

3. Receivers: Lloyd had some catches today, Randle El had some touches, and both had some chances they missed, but they were active... And you have to love Randle El's attitude and enthusiasm...and Moss well he is a given... the guy just plays every week, with heart and passion.. we need to keep him in the B&G forever... he was blocking downfield and giving his all as always

4. Cooley: He had a great game today, he has had some drops this year and had one today, he is becoming active in the offense again and will continue to grow and flourish...

5. O-Line: Actually should be at the top, these guys are really coming together, even with Jansen out today they played an amazing game... if they can run block like they have been and can pass block like they did today Campbell, Betts, and Portis will pick teams apart....

6. Sean Taylor: This guy is a beast simply put... i think during the first of the season he was trying to do too much... trying to cover guys because he didnt think anyone else could... he was trying to lead this D and trying to shoulder the load... recently he has settled down and gotten back to roaming the field and making plays, we need to lock him up for his career in Washington

7. Carlos Rogers: The kid has struggled, a good bit. But he has started to be in better position slowly, he has knocked away a lot of passes this year, some of which he should have caught, but hey that means he has been in position alot, and hey he caught one today (barely, but he caught it)

8. Ladell Betts: Finally, I am very very happy that we signed this guy for 5 more years. He has a great heart, and loves Washington and the team. I think if we can keep him and Portis healthy next year they could possibly be one of the best if not the best 2 back tandem in the league.

Am i saying all is well, heck no. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed in the off season. Do we have holes??? O YEAH... We could very easily lose our last 2 games. But I think Joe Gibbs is stubborn enough to stick with this team and make them play to their potential. I also think he is smart enough to see what did and didnt work this season and fix it for the upcoming season. All I am saying is that I saw some things today that made me excited for the future of this team.

As Doc Walker said in the post-game, outside of the injuries, the biggest impediment to the Redskins being successful in 2006 was the confusion/egos among the coaching staff.

Who is going to really call the plays? Saunders evidently calls everything to the 30 and then Gibbs has 'input'. What does that mean?

On defense the secondary is a mess because you have a secondary coach, Jerry Gray, who is not being allowed to coach all the players. Steve Jackson is coaching the safeties separately.

The coaches needs to straighten out who is doing what OFF the field so the players know what to do ON the field :)

I wouldnt get too carried away - though I am very impressed with Campbell, the O still has problems scoring touchdowns. Field Goals wont get you far and against a good D. They have to quit making stupid, bonehead penalties and moving backward inside the 20.

The D finally is playing up to their potential.

I am not a big believer in momentum from year to year - (if so, where is the momentum from last year) but its a good start for a young QB.

I wouldnt get too carried away - though I am very impressed with Campbell, the O still has problems scoring touchdowns. Field Goals wont get you far and against a good D. They have to quit making stupid, bonehead penalties and moving backward inside the 20.

The D finally is playing up to their potential.

I am not a big believer in momentum from year to year - (if so, where is the momentum from last year) but its a good start for a young QB.

Nothing that is not fixable if the FO does not mess around with the roster too much.

I really hope this offseason and draft goes great for us. Regardless of what some may think I am starting to get a little confident about our front office. I think this season has been a huge smack in the face of all the problems they have created for this franchise and I think they will honestly analyze things much more when making decisions. At least if we just draft some defensive playmaker in the first and use some other drafts for depth this offseason, I will be extremely happy. Get something to build on.

Great post. This is exactly what I was hoping for in these last few games. That this team would just show promise, so that we can hopefully go into next season with something to look forward to. Saunders might actually be earning his check these days, the offense has been very good with at least 325 yards each game. Defense has been playing better as well.

NO NO NO NO - Don't you know anything?!?! This isn't a place to for positive sentiments. This is a place for doom, gloom, and most of all the blame game. There is nothing good happening in redskin-land. Our coaches can't coach, and every single one of our players is horrible so we should trade away Portis.

<Hope the sarcasm wasn't too strong>

Archived