Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Integrity and Coaching

LoyalSkinsFan

Yeah, you can get real loyal when someone slides you a pot of money and a piece of the pie. Spare me. He showed me the kind of class I didn't think he had over the Ramsey thing, in large part due to his need to prop up his boy (and his decision), Brunell. His press conference the other day, justifying the Free Agent path, is more of the same regarding the Big Bad of this season: an Off Year. What BS! And what should he be pissed off about? Unless he wants to spend some significant time looking in the mirror. It's his cake. He baked it, presumably with both eyes open.

Yeah, you can get real loyal when someone slides you a pot of money and a piece of the pie. Spare me. He showed me the kind of class I didn't think he had over the Ramsey thing, in large part due to his need to prop up his boy (and his decision), Brunell. His press conference the other day, justifying the Free Agent path, is more of the same regarding the Big Bad of this season: an Off Year. What BS! And what should he be pissed off about? Unless he wants to spend some significant time looking in the mirror. It's his cake. He baked it, presumably with both eyes open.

That's a pretty sour view of things. Gibbs has said, on numerous occasions, that he's ultimately in charge and as such is ultimately to blame. So, as you put it, the baker is apparently - and obviously - looking in the mirror.

You also mention money as a decidedly prevalent factor in determining Gibbs' loyalty. Well, I'd beg to differ. Money, as we've seen around the league and here with the Redskins (please refer to the Steve Spurrier years for this example) does not necessarily buy one's heart and mind. And, with Gibbs, a man with all the money he probably could ever need or use PRIOR to his return to the team, I certainly don't see that as a deciding factor. I will, of course, admit that the tempation to have a stake in ownership probably played a role in his return, ultimately, but at the core of his decision to come back, I believe, was his noble desire to play a part in the return of this franchise to respectablity. In his press conferences to date, I've seen a man who has been humbled...but in response has shown determination to not fail....and, most importantly, stay absorbed and committed until he has succeeded. You can gleem from those pressers whatever negative and/or passive spin you'd like, but I just don't see it. Joe Gibbs' track record, for me, stands for itself and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

HTTR

Brunell got us to the playoffs last year Hoss!! Right call. Pat's a great guy,

but you'll notice he's #2 in NY also.

If you recall Coach Gibbs said he returned to the Redskins because he had the itch and he wanted his grandkids to see him coach (it was something along those lines). He also said that he could not see himself coaching any other team, I believe he was courted by Atlanta but turned it down. He has a great history but since his return his team often plays like a poorly coached group of players. We will have to see how it works out, but so far I am not impressed. I would like to see him do well.

Funny that you guys mentioned Bill Cowher and Jeff Fisher, either one may be coaching here next year or the year after. Depending on their schedule and Dan Synder's not Joe Gibbs.

Joe Gibbs was a great coach but it's looking more and more like the game has passed him by. He has made one horrendous personnel move after another. He still hasn't mastered in game management vis-a-vis todays game.

He's 21-26 since his return and will be 21-27 when the Saints get done.

Hate too burst your Kool-Aid drinking bubble, but as Jerry Glanville once said, "NFL stands for, Not For Long."

Redskins:16

Saints: 10

OOOOPS! How does it feel to lose an argument with said coach who the game has passed by? Love this post! :cheers:

What I did want to add is my thought that perhaps the best thing to come out of the disappointment of 2006 is that I think he's embarrassed. And irritated. And maybe, in his own deeply private, smoldering way, pissed as hell.

That, my friends, intrigues me heading into 2007.

hehe..... I hear that. :cheers:

What I did want to add is my thought that perhaps the best thing to come out of the disappointment of 2006 is that I think he's embarrassed. And irritated. And maybe, in his own deeply private, smoldering way, pissed as hell.

Om, just when I thought the original poster had said it all you managed to find the words that really capped and summed up the situation

"pissed as hell" :laugh:

Guest Rafterman
Redskins:16

Saints: 10

OOOOPS! How does it feel to lose an argument with said coach who the game has passed by? Love this post! :cheers:

See how you feel about this one.

Gibbs II remains 22-26 and is responsible for this fiasco of a season. Being 5-9 is NOTHING to be proud of.

How many coaches in this current sports era go out of their way to take all the blame for a losing team on their own shoulders? Joe Gibbs has repeatedly said this team has what it takes and that the COACHES will get the ship righted for next year and beyond.

How many coaches would stick up for their players sitting at 4-9? I'll tell you...NONE (besides Joe).

The players know they haven't done a good job this year, and yet they see Joe on tv standing by them.

I can't wait for 2007. I believe we will have a bunch of embarrassed, hungry, warriors willing to take a bullet to win for this head coach.

That's the kind of man Joe always was, and for those of you too young to remember the glory years, take note. This man is not just a rare breed. He is truly one-of-a-kind and IMHO, the greatest coach in NFL history.

Mark my words...before he retires again, Joe Gibbs will lead the Washington Redskins to their 4th Superbowl victory.

We have by far the best head coach in football! He is a man of integrity,character,loyalty, and best of all, he is a REDSKIN, thru and thru. We are the luckiest fans in the NFL, to have Joe Gibbs as our coach!!! No matter what happens to the SKINS, I will always be a JOE GIBBS fan!!!:2cents:

Joe Gibbs was a great coach but it's looking more and more like the game has passed him by. He has made one horrendous personnel move after another. He still hasn't mastered in game management vis-a-vis todays game.

He's 21-26 since his return and will be 21-27 when the Saints get done.

Thus to prove the old maxim:

"Better to keep one's mouth shut, & have people think you're a fool..."

Guest Rafterman
Thus to prove the old maxim:

"Better to keep one's mouth shut, & have people think you're a fool..."

A stellar 22-26 since his return and 5-9 this season. The facts state that, the maxim applies TO YOU, YOU KOOL-AID DRINKING....

Guest Rafterman
Having a team that doesn't quit IS something to be proud of!!!

I'm especially proud of the guys on D yesterday, they never gave up. Greg Williams did a fine job.

I remain skeptical of Gibbs redux, he doesn't seem too grasp the fact that the game is much faster.

Joe Gibbs has shown conviction, committment and loyalty. I will show him the same.

I feel that probably the only reason why Coach Gibbs hung onto MB for as long as he did was because he wanted to know... without a shadow of a comeback doubt... that his days are truly over as a Redskin starting QB. And MB knows that at least he gave him every shot at it. That's why MB is acting with class and trying to help out as a mentor. No looking back... with full speed ahead.

I've never doubted or gave up on the Coach at any time because I have always felt that in ways that we don't know or see... he's up to something. ;)

I've never doubted or gave up on the Coach at any time because I have always felt that in ways that we don't know or see... he's up to something. ;)

He's always been up to something in the past.....I'm sure he is now as well.

Sometimes you go with what's in your gut, certainly...but at other times, a knee-jerk reaction to something is not always the best gauge. Those that doubt Gibbs' drive, committment....and more important even....his skill, no matter what era we're in, I think, have reacted prematurely. Undoing the last fifteen years isn't, obviously, an overnight thing.

HTTR

YES. Very very intriguing. He is the type of guy who learns from his mistakes, making adjustments that may even appear drastic to others. People paint him as conservative because he sticks with a quarterback and doesn't throw a deep pass every single play (though he would if he had a QB with more experience, or a QB who could do that anymore). But when things aren't working, Gibbs is not conservative. He will fire himself, he will change large portions of his game plan, and he will be creative in finding ways to change the situation. That is INTRIGUING.

The main difference from Gibbs 1.0 and Gibbs 2.0 is this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/gibbs/articles/jgbrnout.htm

He could adjust better in 1.0 because he spent HOURS figuring them out during the previous week. He simply CANNOT do that now... and not a single Redskin fan can blame him. So, he got Saunders to help him to do that weekly grind. And he is.

Now that both of them are on the same page (because of Campbell), they can both concentrate more in the offseason of putting together a more explosive in sync offense come '07. And hopefully be on the same page in every game.

I sorta saw that come together a little in the Saints game. After a series of passing, the O went back to the running game. Then they put them both together.

Archived