Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3rd and long......*the pass*......FIRST DOWN....WHY?

NoCalMike

I have noticed that not only in this game, but over the entire season so far, we have some uncanny problem with holding a team on 3rd and long. Now, what the hell is the deal? Is it the safeties? Is it the bend-don't-break defense scheme, or what? I don't know how many times it has been 3rd and long, and when Brunell goes back into formation and throws the ball, our CBs aren't even remotely on the recievers. What gives, and if it is a cut 'n dry issue, why is Marvin Lewis not adjusting this problem?

It was 3rd and 8 or so... I told the guy beside me, Jaguars fan, we were going to give up the conversion... #56 made a liar out of me and got a sack on Brunell. But I do agree with you. We seem to go to zone too much on 3rd down. A couple of times I watched to see if it was a zone or man coverage. Enjoyed the game... hated the results.

Peace

Hate to say it but that's exactly what Ravens fans (ie. Raven'snest.com) were saying the minute Lewis signed on with the Skins. I'll never forget it... "you guys will be beating your heads against the wall watching your defense force third and long and yet offenses will still consistently convert it because the defense played soft zone."

They were right.

you know , I hate to say this ...But I think he should go after the end of the season ...It took the Ravens 3 years to buy into what Lewis was saying ....not to mention the fact that he will most likly not be here for more then 2 years anyway ...I think Snyder should really sit down and think this one over ....Marvin is not making this defense the way most Skins envisioned it to be when Snyder hired him ....

It would be all good if he adjusted his defense to his players strength ...But it seems he forces his system on his players....Not a very good formula for a defense that is sopposed to be dominate....Adjust Marvin, please , or leave town on the first thing smokin !!!!!

I heard the same things Die Hard.

I was hoping that he just was compensating for Starks and McAllister, neither of whom are capable of playing consist man defense, and that he would realize that our corners are best suited to play man and adapt accordingly. I was wrong.

Archived