Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Selected the Coaches in Gibbs I?

radagast5

Much has been written (and rightly so) about Gibbs' shortcomings as a de facto GM, and that the coaching staff isn't gelling the way that people with such lengthy resumes should.

Brings me to my question: who selected the 1981 coaching staff? I believe it was Gibbs, and I don't think Beathard had any input, but does anyone recall?

Gibbs assembled a young, hungry coaching staff in 1981. Pretty much the opposite of what he did this time. Maybe that's what we need now instead of all of these Assistant Head Coaches and former Coordinators.

I don't know if it's a matter of age, but the angle I was trying to attack with my question was how good is Joe Gibbs at picking coaching talent.

It's been a mixed bag thus far. He should have brought back Bugel and that's it on offense, gone out and gotten some young offensive coaching talent.

I think Williams has been very good overall, but his downfall was believing too much in his system. The system itself is very good, as witnessed by the fact that he took most of Spurrier's defense and made it into the #2 defense in the NFL in one year.

Archived