Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

space heaters

Larry Brown #43

I'm hoping for some help here. Does anyone have a space heater they can recommend that really heats up a room? We have an older house with one room that's not vented at all, so it gets really cold. Yesterday we bought a Honeywell "low profile" electric heater that is long and sits low to the ground. It's designed to radiate heat. It cost about $60. Anyway, after plugging it in and running it for a couple hours, it generated almost no heat. You had to be a couple inches from it to feel anything. We're taking it back today.

But what should we buy? We need to heat that room up...what should we get and what should we expect to pay? Thanks in advance!!!

I live in an old house as well, circa 1870 or so. Here's a quartz heater we bought that kicks out the heat very nicely. Two different wattage settings, 1500 or 750, and a variable temperature setting. It is energy efficient too. The photo was taken with a wide angled lens, so it looks a little weird in the pic. It's comes up to about the top of your knee cap and fits in a corner nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/1500%252dWatt-Quartz-Power-Radiant-Heater/dp/B0002VM3IE/sr=8-32/qid=1165413929/ref=sr_1_32/102-1754877-5670534?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/space-heaters/index.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/good-questions/good-questions-best-space-heaters-004646

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/space-heaters/review.html

Oil Filled are the best to use IMO, especially if you have a ceiling fan. With Oil Filled heaters it is best if you put them next to a window so they can cancel out the cool air that comes in from the window. They heat the room evenly, rather than just blowing in a certain area. It does take about 3 hours before you will notice it thoughout the room.

I have bought both the DeLonghi & Bionaire. I prefer the DeLonghi Dragon, but both work well. The DeLonghi has a timer so you can set when you want it off, and when you want it to turn back on. You can get them at lowes or target.

I also use Aloha Oscillating Heater from walmart it is the best osicllating heater that i've found. It also comes with a remote control.

DeLonghi also has a small stationary heater that has a fan. I just bought it for $20 at lowes. It is great for bedrooms.

I have an old 1920's 2000 sft house and these pretty much allow me not to turn on my gas heat.

i wouldn't trust any type of oil or gas heaters indoors, too many things can go wrong. you hear plenty of times every year about people dying from fumes, and from houses burning down because of these. i'd go electric all the way. i think it's honeywell that makes one called the vortex. it heats up on multiple different levels, and has a blower on it so the heat circulates. great heating ability, rapidly heats an entire area, and only costs about $40.

i wouldn't trust any type of oil or gas heaters indoors, too many things can go wrong. you hear plenty of times every year about people dying from fumes, and from houses burning down because of these. i'd go electric all the way. i think it's honeywell that makes one called the vortex. it heats up on multiple different levels, and has a blower on it so the heat circulates. great heating ability, rapidly heats an entire area, and only costs about $40.

Agreed and Honeywell makes good heaters. When using electric, make sure to plug into an outlet that can handle the amount of power the heater is going to pull, ( yeah I know. Duh. But there's that saftey thing I like to nag about). Don't use an extension cord or 6 way unless it's rated for such a thing. Just my 2 cents.

Archived