Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 issues I would harp on if I ran the Dems

Kilmer17

1- abortion. I would make this my number 1 issue all the time. It seems to have disappeared in the last 6 years. But from a campaign point of view, it brings women to the Dems. It would have made the difference in Colorado and in Missouri and it may have turned the tide in Minnesota (but I think that came down to the Memorial). I dont understand why the Dems have abandoned this issue.

At the same time, if I was the GOP candidate I would pronounce early and often that I was pro choice and would do nothing to prevent the womens rights.

2-Immigration. I would call for the opening of our borders and loosening of immigration laws. It would stop the landslide of Latino votes that the GOP is now garnering. In Texas this year, the GOP Gov candidate (Perry) got almost 40% of the Hispanic vote. And he was running against a Hispanic Democrat. If the Dems dont hurry up the Hispanic vote will soon become the GOPs version of the Black vote, only the Hispanic population is going to double the black population in about 10 years.

I dont agree with these personally, but that's what I would do on a campaign level.

They cant go on big business. There are too many Dems that would get swept up with it. Remember Lieberman got money from Enron as well. Not to mention McAuliffe and Global Xing.

The GOP beat them to the puch on the economy and has successfully shown it to have started under Clinton and 9/11. I dont think it will stick. Plus theGOP has a plan to fix it (whether you believe it or not ). The Dems haven't said how they would fix it, only that the GOP cant fix it.

Sure they can, of course the Democrats are in the pocket of big business as well, and its not like labor unions are so squeaky clean, but in politics, perception is reality, and the perception is that Republicans, not Democrats, are on the leash of big business.

As for the Republicans successfully showing the economy was taking a turn for the worse at the end of the Clinton regime, that will be a moot point in 2004 if things don't improve.

Opening our borders is a horrible idea. In fact we should close them we have enough illegal aliens dragging down our economy already. And those loose immigration laws let in all the terrorists and Al Queda sympathizers as well. We need to stop letting in immigrants from Arab countries period, if they hate us than why don't they like living in their caves?

Originally posted by Fred Smoot Fan

Opening our borders is a horrible idea. In fact we should close them we have enough illegal aliens dragging down our economy already. And those loose immigration laws let in all the terrorists and Al Queda sympathizers as well. We need to stop letting in immigrants from Arab countries period, if they hate us than why don't they like living in their caves?

Cut down on illegal immigration, but make legal immigration easier.

Are you telling me your family didnt come to this country as immigrants FSF? I might believe you if you told me you came into this world from a genetics experiment gone wrong, but other than that you're full of ****.

50% of my ancestors were using english words How and these awesome beads of glass for that tract of land while the other half was ducking the whip so I guess I can say no to opening the borders.

Abortions the fewer liberals the better.

The Economy wasn't clinton's doing it was the GOP Controlled congress with the contract with America controlling spending.

And Enron and other companies didnt wake up in December 2000 and say hey with dubba ya in office lets screw over the little guy

and cook the books.

"The Economy wasn't clinton's doing it was the GOP Controlled congress with the contract with America controlling spending.

And Enron and other companies didnt wake up in December 2000 and say hey with dubba ya in office lets screw over the little guy

and cook the books."

Dave,

This is the biggest load of crap that has been posted here in a long time. You give the credit to the GOP House for the economy and not the blame to them for the SEC deregulation? ROTFLMAO! Sometimes you are such a moe.

The fact is it is never really the President who is responsible for the economy whether it's for good or for ill. However, that's the perception. One reason, though, Yomar that Dems can't run on the economy, or at least they couldn't in the mid-term election is because the economy is great. The stock market sucks, but the economy is growing above inflation at sustainable rates. Home interest rates are the lowest anyone can recall seeing in a generation. Consumer spending is still strong.

The tech industry is in a bit of a down cycle, but, it has been for three years now and voters kind of knew it wasn't Clinton or Bush that were responsible for that bubble bursting. That bubble was going to burst. In two years if we hit a second recession the Dems will have a strong issue to run on. But, right now, it appears Bush is getting credit for entering office in a recession started under the end of the Clinton era and righting the ship and strengthening things, though, again, it's hard to credit Bush so.

What is surprising about the relative strength of this post-recession economy is that it is taking place despite scandals the SEC is finally prosecuting after years of cooked books and inflated forecasts under Clinton that tended to skew how the economy performed. Under Pitt actions, fines and collections have surpassed years of the same under Clinton. With hope the next SEC chair can stay as strong while not making the same bed buddy appointments that wind up killing him.

Archived