Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMQ Praises Campbell, Warns Against Blitzing

stwasm

I like blitzing on the third and long. I think it forces the QB to get rid of the ball before the receivers run their routes. Of course you have to get there on the blitz for that to happen.

I think Carolina being worried about JC running also had something to do with them not blitzing that much Sunday.

With all due respect, what Easterbrook is suggesting is akin to seeing that a RB averages 3.5 yards a carry and suggesting that giving him the ball 4 times in a row will give you the best chance to gain a first down.

Because a one year sampling shows that rushing 3 bears out a 1% better chance of stopping a play than rushing 6, rushing 6 is a just plain bad idea? That's nuts.

Statisitics are helpful, but only when analyzed with a modicum of common sense.

How many rushers did Carolina send on the Campbell play? Anyone know?

How many rushers did Carolina send on the Campbell play? Anyone know?

Maybe I'll write Easterbrook and ask him. ;)

The thing is, rushing 4 isn't a blitz either, and yet it's at 72% to 78% for rushing 3.

I wonder why that is? Actually, I think I know why. :)

Because teams usually rush only three when the opponents are facing 3rd and REALLY long. Or they are about to throw a hail mary. I wonder how often teams only rush three on, say, 3rd and 8?

Also, for a team that runs a standard 4-3, sending in a extra rusher or two improves your chances doesn't it?

Oh, I'm not saying blitzes can't be burned. But to suggest it's bad policy to blitz on 3rd and 8 is sheer idiocy.

These are the kinds of people who don't really understand the game-- or any game for that matter. Statistics, odds and averages are good for some reference, but to base your strategy solely on them is madness.

Pressuring a "rookie" in do-or-die situation is a pretty solid strategy, cold numbers be damned.

You mean like GW calling blitzes all season long on third down, on obvious passing downs?

You can get burned on obvious passing downs by either blitzing or getting no pressure on the quarterback.

I can't blame Williams for blitzing on passing downs because we (before Sunday) have generated no pass rush from the front 4.

That was dearest Brittany getting some face time on the Tuesday Morning Quarterback column. Here's a better pic of her:

Stewart-Brittany072706.jpg

This is a better pic of Brittany. However, she is in the burgundy here. And there is "someone else" in the pic, too. Do you have Brittany in the white uniform and alone?

By the way, he could have chosen any of the cheerleaders, don't you think?

Thanks.

Archived