Extremeskins

i;m looking for some window advice

skinsaddict

Godfather or Goodfellas?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Godfather or Goodfellas?

• The Godfather
    • Goodfellas

i need to have all my windows replaced...we had somone come by and it was obvious they were trying to rip us off, about $9000 for 7 windows and a sliding glass door.

does anyone in richmond do this kind of work and can help me out with an honest estimate. lowes has windows that are a ton better than what I have for 250 per window installed.

any help/advice is appreciated!

honestly, the estimate you were given is a pretty reasonable one if you're looking for quality over price. cheap windows are exactly that, cheap.

you get what you pay for, and these guys are not trying to rip you off i'm sure....depending on who it was.

i worked for paramount builders as a teen, and that was about the price of what they had, but the windows were insulated from heat and cold, they were removable for cleaning, and they were impossible to break, no matter how hard you try.

you definitely can't get that from lowes.

With a quote like that, you're getting taken to the cleaners. No one in their right mind would think that is a reasonable quote. Not even considering it's getting cold outside, some contractor's bid high when they don't want a job or when they already have enough work.

Is there something unique about your home that could make the bid so high? Depending on if this is a standard window replacement job (1-2 story home), which includes removing/replacing existing interior/exterior trim work, it shouldn't be over $7k even if you chose wood over vinyl windows. This sort of job should take 4-5 days at most depending on weather. 1-3 days to remove and install new windows. 1 day to replace trimwork, prime and paint. 1 day for touch-up paint and caulk. That's what it would look like for a 2 man crew who know what they are doing.

I'll get back to you with a great contractor just outside of Richmond after I talk to my sister. She has a house in Providence Forge, just east of Richmond and he built her garage/second story addition. Quality work at a reasonable price. His name is Chuck Leftwich. I'll try to get the contact info to you ASAP.

honestly, the estimate you were given is a pretty reasonable one if you're looking for quality over price. cheap windows are exactly that, cheap.

you get what you pay for, and these guys are not trying to rip you off i'm sure....depending on who it was.

i worked for paramount builders as a teen, and that was about the price of what they had, but the windows were insulated from heat and cold, they were removable for cleaning, and they were impossible to break, no matter how hard you try.

you definitely can't get that from lowes.

parmount builders is who gave us the quote. their whole presentation was croooked, trying to give me the prices of their competition and telling me i was wasting my time if I called them. yeah right. the sales guy has called twice and the GM and sales manager have also each called once to offer an "amazing price". I nearly kicked the guy out of the house when he wrote 20% first time buyer cupon and handed it to me then said it was only valid that night.

With a quote like that, you're getting taken to the cleaners. No one in their right mind would think that is a reasonable quote. Not even considering it's getting cold outside, some contractor's bid high when they don't want a job or when they already have enough work.

Is there something unique about your home that could make the bid so high? Depending on if this is a standard window replacement job (1-2 story home), which includes removing/replacing existing interior/exterior trim work, it shouldn't be over $7k even if you chose wood over vinyl windows. This sort of job should take 4-5 days at most depending on weather. 1-3 days to remove and install new windows. 1 day to replace trimwork, prime and paint. 1 day for touch-up paint and caulk. That's what it would look like for a 2 man crew who know what they are doing.

I'll get back to you with a great contractor just outside of Richmond after I talk to my sister. She has a house in Providence Forge, just east of Richmond and he built her garage/second story addition. Quality work at a reasonable price. His name is Chuck Leftwich. I'll try to get the contact info to you ASAP.

there is nothing unique about my house, built in 86, old windows arent rotted, they just need to be replaced. one story as well, not brick or anything heard to work around (it's should be an easy job.) a PM is coming your way.

i was told $350 per window was an acceptable price for quality and service...I'm really a novice when it comes to replacing windows...

parmount builders is who gave us the quote. their whole presentation was croooked, trying to give me the prices of their competition and telling me i was wasting my time if I called them. yeah right. the sales guy has called twice and the GM and sales manager have also each called once to offer an "amazing price". I nearly kicked the guy out of the house when he wrote 20% first time buyer cupon and handed it to me then said it was only valid that night.

there is nothing unique about my house, built in 86, old windows arent rotted, they just need to be replaced. one story as well, not brick or anything heard to work around (it's should be an easy job.) a PM is coming your way.

i was told $350 per window was an acceptable price for quality and service...I'm really a novice when it comes to replacing windows...

$350 sounds about right. A few years ago I had replacement windows installed - 23 of them. The cost was $400 per window, and part of that cost was related to our order/window size. We got the windows with the wood on the inside to match our trimwork, and vinyl on the outside...that ended up costing a bit more. Plus we had 4 windows which were larger than the rest -between 4 and 8 feet wide.

...and those windows paid for themselves in about 2 years :). Okay, maybe not two years...but they made a HUGE difference in energy savings.

What are you looking for? It all depends on they type of window, what you want the interior to look like, and what kind of energy savings you are looking at getting.

At my house, I had all of my windows (23) replaced for $5000, PLUS I had french doors installed in place of a window. The French door was $2K, but it was a great Pella with oak interior and a very good R-value. Total it was $7K to have 19 regular sized windows (52" x 32" I believe), 2-36" x 48" windows and 2-36" x 60" windows, French Doors bought and installed. I forget the brand of the windows we had installed, but they had a 30 year warranty with a great R-value.

If you want to save money, you can order replacement windows from Home Depot or Lowes, as well as any Pella/Anderson dealer. If the installed windows you currently have are "replacement" ones and not "new windows" ie with a flange, then you can install them pretty quickly. I did my friends house in two weekends, (30+ windows) and it went fairly easy. If you are handy around the house, I would highly recommend going that way.

Best of luck to your home improvement project :)

I worked at Lowe's and we charged $300+ Additional labor for a sliding glass door install and $99+ for every window that you want installed.

Most of the time an estimate such as yours would get up to around $2000, but I've never seen anything much more than that.

EDIT: Those are just the install prices... The brand of window you buy and size will greatly effect your price...

For instance, a Pella wood framed sliding glass door can run up to $3000 on it's own. The windows can run you a lot of money as well, although it's impossible for me to pinpoint how much seeing how I don't know the sizes or style of the windows you're looking for... An average price for a double hung Pella would be around $200 or so. It's very dependant on what kind of window that you're looking for. Reliabilt windows are a much cheaper option, but no where near the quality.

Archived