Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "too many coaches" argument

Skins Addict

That is just about the lousiest arguement as to why we're losing that I've ever heard. It is irrelevant what their job titles are. They were given them out of respect for what they had accomplished prior. They know their roles.

Williams: D coord.

Blache: D-line

Lindsey: LB's

Saunders: O coord.

Bugel: O-line

And so on...

When things are bad' date=' people try to come up with excuses and point out why, but it's usually just not that simple...[/quote']

It's called ego. The Skins have a lot of over-qualified coaches (at least in their minds) filling smaller roles. They're paid well, but I could see some of these guys feeling they should be higher up, and there for it takes away from their performance as a position coaches.

It happened in Baltimore with Jim Fassel as OC. The guy thought he should be a HC and never sank his teeth into what he's doing. So they fired him.

It's called ego. The Skins have a lot of over-qualified coaches (at least in their minds) filling smaller roles. They're paid well, but I could see some of these guys feeling they should be higher up, and there for it takes away from their performance as a position coaches.

It happened in Baltimore with Jim Fassel as OC. The guy thought he should be a HC and never sank his teeth into what he's doing. So they fired him.

I was w/ you until the Fassel analogy. Fassel didn't get a fair shot becuse the Belichek (sp?) (who is the second most arrogrant off of I-95) never gave him total control of the offense (sound familiar?).

I think that really screwed up Fassel's career and probably will never, or at least not for a while, be considered for a head coaching position.

Despite the success or failure of Saunders it is difficult to see him as a head coach after being an OC all of his NFL career.

They give them those titles because if they leave for another job it has to be an elevated position not a lateral move...Please understand the league before you reply. A Coach CAN NOT LEAVE FOR A LATERAL POSITION. It has to be a higher position.

I understand and still think we have too many chiefs. Cull the herd.

I was w/ you until the Fassel analogy. Fassel didn't get a fair shot becuse the Belichek (sp?) (who is the second most arrogrant off of I-95) never gave him total control of the offense (sound familiar?).

I think that really screwed up Fassel's career and probably will never, or at least not for a while, be considered for a head coaching position.

Despite the success or failure of Saunders it is difficult to see him as a head coach after being an OC all of his NFL career.

Well, if you listen to the stories coming out of Baltimore the feeling was he wasn't 100% dedicated to his job. This was coming from the players, not Billick. His mind was on becoming a HC again and now he's probably screwed. And the Ravens offense has been better since.

That's my feeling with the Skins defense. Take Jerry Grey. Williams tried to hire him a couple years ago but Grey thought it was better for his career to continue as a DC in Buffalo. He was considered an up and coming DC in this league. He was let go late in the game by Buffalo during the offseason and now he's back as a DB coach. You think he's content with were he's at, even with Snyder probably paying him DC money? I doubt it. Now look at the Skins secondary and how bad it is and they look to be playing like a secondary that's being coached by a guy who's mind is somewhere else.

As for Saunders, I don't think he'll be a HC because I don't think he's all that respected by the players. I heard that coming out of KC and that's why he was never really considered for that job even though Vermeil lobbied for him. He's perceived as some what of a dork.

Joe Gibbs - Head Coach/Team President

Al Saunders - Assoc. HC - Offense

Gregg Williams - Asst. HC - Defense

Joe Bugel - Asst. HC - Offense

Don Breaux - Off. Coordinator

Jack Burns - Offensive Assistant

Rennie Simmons - Tight Ends Coach

Earnest Byner - Running Backs Coach

Stan Hixon - Wide Receivers Coach

Bill Lazor - Quarterbacks

Coy Gibbs - Quality Control - Off.

Greg Blache - Def. Coord./Def. Line

Dale Lindsey - Linebackers Coach

Jerry Gray - Secondary/Cornerbacks

Steve Jackson - Passing Game Coord./Safeties

Danny Smith - Special Teams

Kirk Olivadotti - Defensive Line/Special Teams

Bob Saunders - Asst. Coach - Special Projects

John Hastings - Head Strength/Conditioning

Bobby Crumpler - Assistant Strength/Conditioning

Tony Spinosa - Assistant Strength/Conditioning

Joe Gibbs - Head Coach/Team President

Al Saunders - Assoc. HC - Offense

Gregg Williams - Asst. HC - Defense

Joe Bugel - Asst. HC - Offense

Don Breaux - Off. Coordinator

Jack Burns - Offensive Assistant

Rennie Simmons - Tight Ends Coach

Earnest Byner - Running Backs Coach

Stan Hixon - Wide Receivers Coach

Bill Lazor - Quarterbacks

Coy Gibbs - Quality Control - Off.

Greg Blache - Def. Coord./Def. Line

Dale Lindsey - Linebackers Coach

Jerry Gray - Secondary/Cornerbacks

Steve Jackson - Passing Game Coord./Safeties

Danny Smith - Special Teams

Kirk Olivadotti - Defensive Line/Special Teams

Bob Saunders - Asst. Coach - Special Projects

John Hastings - Head Strength/Conditioning

Bobby Crumpler - Assistant Strength/Conditioning

Tony Spinosa - Assistant Strength/Conditioning

Denver Broncos

Mike Heimerdinger -Assistant Head Coach

Larry Coyer - Defensive Coordinator

Rick Dennison - Offensive Coordinator

Jeremy Bates - Offensive Assistant

Chip Beake - Offensive Quality Control

Ronnie Bradford - Special Teams

Tim Brewster - Tight Ends

Jacob Burney - Defensive Line/ Ends

Kirk Doll - Linebackers

Thomas McGaughey - Special Teams Assistant

Pat McPherson - Quarterbacks

Andre Patterson - Defensive Line/ Tackles

Jim Ryan - Defensive Assistant

Greg Saporta - Assistant Strength and Conditioning

Bob Slowik - Defensive Backs

Ryan Slowik - Defensive Assistant

Cedric Smith - Assistant Strength and Conditioning

Jimmy Spencer - Assistant Defensive Backs

Bobby Turner - Running Backs

Rich Tuten - Strength and Conditioning

Steve Watson - Wide Receivers

Kristi Nichols - Assistant Coaches Secretary

• 1 month later...

I read that grey may want to go back to texas u to be the defense cord.

updated***

Jerry Gray, one of the best defensive players in Texas history, also is putting out feelers that he could be swayed to leave his assistant's job with the Washington Redskins. Gray also asked about the Texas defensive coordinator's opening in January 2005, the one Chizik eventually accepted. Gray didn't want to take a pay cut then to be a co-coordinator

http://www.statesman.com/search/content/shared/sports/stories/2006/12/FBC_TEXAS_1205_COX.html

I think it's part of the problem and have been saying that for a while. Kind of like on that movie office space when the dude messes up his tps report and he has 5 different bosses tell him about it, but really none taking the time to actually listen or talk to him.

Archived