Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft busts/steals by position

mardi gras skin

It seems like there are some postions that almost must to drafted in the first day to pan out. There are almost no corners taken on the second day that end up being steals (see Dallas). At the same time, there seem to be a load of QB's, receivers, and running backs taken after round 2 that do very well every year.<br /><br />Where do our needs fit into this trend? Does this argue against spending a 1st rounder on a QB? Maybe we'd do just as well to look for skill postions in the lower rounds while going for a sack happy DE in round 1.

the worst thing a team can do is force a pick when the players just aren't there.<br /><br />this draft is thin on quarterbacks at the top, so unless the Redskins are going to trade up into the top 5, I think we are going to go in another direction.<br /><br />once again, there seem to be a number of capable wide receivers available in rounds 1 and 2, however, my preference would be to take a DL FIRST and then acquire a WR.<br /><br />If the Redskins are going to draft a WR in the first round what is to become of Gardner?<br /><br />If he doesn't fit the offense does he get dealt?

Remember the year we drafted Heath Schuler? It was either him or Dilfer. Casserly wanted Dilfer, Norv insisted on Schuler, and we ended up starting our 7th round draft choice Gus Frerotte, who went to the Pro Bowl the next year. We never should have picked a quarterback in the first round that year, because there wasn't a decent one graduating; but we needed one so badly, we wasted the chance to get a perennial pro bowler defensive player for an overpriced bust. There are no Donovans or Duantes in this draft, so let's not waste picks trading up to get the next Cade McNown, especially when we have so many glaring needs (WR, DT, DE, OG, SS, etc). Maybe we'll get lucky and find the next Tom Brady in round 6. I would hold out hope for Rosenfels, except Schot said he could be the next Grbac, which for me is not an enticing prospect.

I've been harping on the samething.<br /><br />There are plenty of QBs coming out next year and the guys coming out now are not the difference makers people are trying to make them out to be.<br /><br />But unfortunately we have a HC and owner that has to make a splash instead of using comon sense.<br /><br />Just like last year when a certain charming and modest guy screamed for Hutch and was ignored we now should look at Gurode or a DT imagine a Haynesworth paired with Big Daddy.<br /><br />Get a defensive front four that can harrass the opposing offense that is young for a change.

it all comes down to how smart Mr. Gator is.<br /><br />Is he a guy that looks to build the whole team? or is he a guy that is going to come in and like Don Coryell focus on the offense and allow the defense to atrophy over time?<br /><br />My guess is the rampant speculation is interpreting the situation incorrectly.<br /><br />The Redskins may indeed move up or make a deal to acquire a Jabar Gaffney to help the transition to the new offense, but I don't think we are about to acquire 5 or 6 Florida players all at once!<br /><br />And I don't think Mendes, who has 22 years as a scout and NFL personnel guy, and Cerrato are going to advise Snyder to completely ignore the defense in 2002 in any event.<br /><br />Maybe the trial balloon of trading Davis has come up, but those kinds of big ticket trades happen only rarely in the NFL. More often than not it is all just blow.<br /><br />Bledsoe will be dealt because of the performance of Brady. But the Redskins don't have the luxury of dealing Davis as there are no capable starting candidates currently signed for next season.<br /><br />Mr. Gator has certainly brought an interesting wind to Redskins Park in the period around the Super Bowl.<br /><br />Just think. If Marty were still here the biggest thing we would be discussing is how big Tony Banks' new contract would be and for how many years. <br /><br />For that, I am grateful a change was made.<br /><br />Seeing Tony Banks at the helm again in 2002 would be just too much to take, even for a patient fan.

Archived