Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Basically three threads in the bye week could resolve any issues with this team.

bbuzz1962

First thread: What if any changes in the offense are needed during the bye week.

Secolnd thread: What if any changes in the defense are needed during the bye week.

Third thread: What if any changes in special teams are needed during the bye week.

With all the amount of trash and and bashing I have read during this bye week I did not post anything(start new threads) waiting for cool heads to prevail. It was really getting ugly in Extremeskin territory. It really came down to fundementals, in all three catergories of the game. You know were not firing any coaches, its too late for that. You know firing the quarterback or demoting him is just admitting failure. So unless this team is ruled out of the playoffs, we are not going to do any major job restructuring. So what it comes down to is the coaching. I'm sure Gibbs has a game plan by now to fix what is broken, and that is what his plan is going to be.

So, I'm sure he is leaving the defense to Greg Williams, and he should. He is working with Saunders to make the offense work, and get the game plan that best suits the players on the field. As far as special teams go, I'm sure he will get the best players on the field he can depending on the situation at that point in the game. So with all the crazy talk in the tailgate this week, it comes down to answering the three basic questions.

First thread: What if any changes in the offense are needed during the bye week.

Secolnd thread: What if any changes in the defense are needed during the bye week.

Third thread: What if any changes in special teams are needed during the bye week.

With all the amount of trash and and bashing I have read during this bye week I did not post anything(start new threads) waiting for cool heads to prevail. It was really getting ugly in Extremeskin territory. It really came down to fundementals, in all three catergories of the game. You know were not firing any coaches, its too late for that. You know firing the quarterback or demoting him is just admitting failure. So unless this team is ruled out of the playoffs, we are not going to do any major job restructuring. So what it comes down to is the coaching. I'm sure Gibbs has a game plan by now to fix what is broken, and that is what his plan is going to be.

So, I'm sure he is leaving the defense to Greg Williams, and he should. He is working with Saunders to make the offense work, and get the game plan that best suits the players on the field. As far as special teams go, I'm sure he will get the best players on the field he can depending on the situation at that point in the game. So with all the crazy talk in the tailgate this week, it comes down to answering the three basic questions.

The problem in the D is there is no pass rush and there are SERIOUS depth issues.

The problem with the O IS Brunell because Saunders Offense is based on timing routes. QB takes 3, 5, 7 step drop and throws the ball where the receiver will be. Brunell is accustomed to dropback, scan, throw to the open guy. Since he is so scared of throwing the pick that he can't throw the ball where the receiver isn't.

You know, I have to agree with everyone here. It didn't matter what thread was started, it always seemed to end up as a bench Brunell thread. If that was the only problem this team had, don't most of you agree that Joe Gibbs is smart enough to have made that move? It obviously isn't or Gibbs would have done it already. The problems run much deeper than the quarterback position. Each group needs to be broken down and worked out. When this has been accomplished, I think you will see a marked improvement in this team.

You know, I have to agree with everyone here. It didn't matter what thread was started, it always seemed to end up as a bench Brunell thread. If that was the only problem this team had, don't most of you agree that Joe Gibbs is smart enough to have made that move? It obviously isn't or Gibbs would have done it already. The problems run much deeper than the quarterback position. Each group needs to be broken down and worked out. When this has been accomplished, I think you will see a marked improvement in this team.

When things are going wrong, people look to bench players. On the offense, the most obvious player to bench is the QB, since he has the biggest effect on the team.

Problem is, that isn't always fair, and it isn't always the problem. That's why I posted the Brunell Whipping Boy thread a couple of weeks ago. No matter what the real reason for the loss, Brunell was going to get the brunt of it, deserved or not.

People want to see Campbell because they want to be able to talk about something other than how crappy Brunell is playing (whether or not that's true.) I understand that. At the same time, Gibbs isn't there just to please the fans. He's doing what he feels is best for this football team. You may agree, you may disagree, but it doesn't matter. It is his show and he's running it and we have no choice but to trust his judgement as fans.

Jason

I really like your thread and your opinions about the teams fundamental failures. they are right on the money.

Also I hope Gibbs fixes Saunders offense.

to be fair Saunders offense hasn't been that bad. But I don't think the correct personal are on the team to complete Saunders style. Most spacifically in the o-line area. I think the offense is still used to the run the ball, max protect, play action pass type game that is and was the staple of Gibbs offenses before Saunders got here.

The difference Between Coaches is I think that Gibbs believes that you coach to a players strength and Saunders believes that your players must adjust to the system.

At 2-5 I'd have to say Gibbs is correct.

don't most of you agree that Joe Gibbs is smart enough to have made that move? It obviously isn't or Gibbs would have done it already. The problems run much deeper than the quarterback position.

Yeah, Joe didn't let things get out of hand in 1985 and we made the playoffs that year and even gave the Bears a tussle in the playoffs after he benched Joey T.

Oh wait, he didn't and we JUST missed the playoffs and Schroeder was 10X better than Joey T and would likely have been so 3-4 weeks prior to the injury on MNF?

Oh OK then.

Yeah, Joe didn't let things get out of hand in 1985 and we made the playoffs that year and even gave the Bears a tussle in the playoffs after he benched Joey T.

Oh wait, he didn't and we JUST missed the playoffs and Schroeder was 10X better than Joey T and would likely have been so 3-4 weeks prior to the injury on MNF?

Oh OK then.

Great post btw.

I would like to see this team go out an be organized. It seems as if the Skins are still confused, and are having a difficult time understanding the play calling, on both offense and defense. If it takes something as simple as breaking down the plays, to make them easier to understand, or using formations that don't shift or change so much. I just think it takes a while for a complicated offense and defense to be implemented into a players head, and transfered on to the field. So if anything is done after the bye, I hope it is a team that knows its plays, and runs them with confidence.

Archived