Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: The Evolution of a QB Change

GoodOnPaper

I saw this article posted up on NFL.com today and I found it to be kind of interesting. I guess I never really looked at the possibility of a QB change in this kind of light. I admit that I'm a little suprised by it, but I can now see why we have some die-hard Brunell supporters.

(Oct. 25, 2006) -- Anyone who has ever been involved with a quarterback change as a coach or player will tell you it's an excruciating exercise. No other position in sports elicits the emotional outbursts from fans, media and players alike.

Quarterback changes are common these days because of the intense pressure placed upon coaches by external forces such as media, fans and owners. While living through a quarterback switch myself, I can't help but have sympathy for players like Drew Bledsoe and Mark Brunell. I know better than most that it's not all their fault for their teams' offensive struggles. Their coaches, Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells, know this as well, and that's why they treat the veteran incumbents with great respect.

img9754216.jpgThis isn't the first time Mark Brunell and Drew Bledsoe have been involved in QB controversies.

The problem for both quarterbacks is that as you age, your skills diminish to a point where your own deficiencies are open to greater failure due to your team's own deficiencies. When you are younger, more mentally aggressive and willing to set everything else in your life aside and sacrifice to become the great player that you hope to become, it is easier to overcome your own deficiencies and inspire those around you.

Both Parcells and Gibbs know that by changing quarterbacks, they now open Pandora's Box and create divisions within their own locker rooms. They know no position on their team means more to the success of the team than that of quarterback.

Like it or not, the quarterback is the heart, soul and confidence of every team. By benching a quarterback, you guarantee that the next-day's headlines and discussions on sports talk radio will dissect that decision -- which in turn takes the rest of the team off the hook.

Why do you think it is that when quarterbacks are playing well, more often than not, they credit the coach's ability to hold everyone on that team accountable for his individual performance? That's because the quarterback knows better than anyone that every aspect of the team has a big impact on the success of his job.

Once a full-blown quarterback controversy takes hold, the head coach in question loses the most important aspect of his job -- the accountability of everyone else on the team.

All anyone wants to talk about is the quarterback. That's what grabs the attention because that's what everyone sees and that's what they hear.

img9754220.jpgBill Parcells was faced with the tough choice of benching a quarterback he has trusted for years.

Bledsoe and Brunell have been great quarterbacks during their NFL careers and both, I'm sure, realize the level of disdain they are living through is part of the job description for their position. And I'm sure both personally are upset that their fan base has turned on them as the reason for their teams' losses.

It's unfortunate that quarterbacks are viewed as the straw that stirs the drink and that players at other positions buy into the media pressure and listen to the fans' voices. But when you make a change at quarterback, then every one of your teammates who is playing poorly can no longer hide behind the so-called ineffectiveness of the quarterback.

Unfortunately, the quarterback situations in Washington and Dallas have spiraled out of control. And it's likely that both coaches will go against their heart and head and try to spark their teams by ultimately making a change. If in fact they do, I would expect Bledsoe and Brunell to be true professionals and support their replacements. If called upon again, they will play with a renewed edge and a chip on their shoulders to show their doubters the demise of their abilities has been greatly exaggerated.

Perhaps benching Brunell would open a can of worms. But on the other hand, is the season already lost? I can see why Gibbs won't put him in until the season is completely out of hand and I really can't blame him. Discuss.

:point2sky

I saw this article posted up on NFL.com today and I found it to be kind of interesting. I guess I never really looked at the possibility of a QB change in this kind of light. I admit that I'm a little suprised by it, but I can now see why we have some die-hard Brunell supporters.

Perhaps benching Brunell would open a can of worms. But on the other hand, is the season already lost? I can see why Gibbs won't put him in until the season is completely out of hand and I really can't blame him. Discuss.

:point2sky

That article is a good read- thanks.

And I agree with your thoughts...

So shall we also discuss Wright, the secondary, the poor defensive line and rush, the poor tackling, the undermotivated and haughty de's who don't even have two moves yet (ahem), the poor lb's, the poor execution by the o line, the penalties, the assenine play calling, and the all round butt whoopin the entire team needs?

But the sad reality is all that aside, brunell is playing ineffectively. The number of passes to backs is ridiculous. The number of passes downfield is laughable. The number of completions for the number of yards and td's is shocking. So if the o line is good enough to make him 30 2-5 yard completions, why is it they are at fault for the next 5-10 yards which takes less than half a second for the receiver to run?????? ahem.

My problem is I like Mark. I think he has hootzpa. However, he is old, slow, scared to step into the pocket due the same prob all us old farts have, no speed to get out so it's like a death warrant, and a horrible desire to look good by making sure it's a completion, so he goes for the sure 3 yard thing instead of the slightly risky 12 yard thing. The o line is not that awesome like they will be by season's end. I believe we will see major improvement. However, a faster peppier qb until then will win us some games imho, and build for tomorrow. I believe strongly in building for tomorrow.

So this is my plan. I will keep on praising the Lord, and thanking the sweet baby Jesus for Mark and his cute fans, and asking Him to either 'fix him or replace him', gently and with love of course. Thank you baby Jesus. I know you heard me.

You know, that was a great article. I read it and I sympathize with both Brunell and even Bledsoe (I never hated him like I was supposed to), and I definately agree Brunell is taking way more than HIS SHARE of the blame.

Then I think, that all the other problems are impossible to fix this late in the season. A team can't rebuild an O-line, D-line, secondary or coaching staff 8 weeks in. The only change that could be made that may possible effect a positive upswing of the sort that is required, is changing the QB. It might not seem like the fairest thing in the world for Mark, but there is a potential upside here for the team.

This is where you have to think about what the QB job is like, and also as bad as Brunell feels when he's criticized, how does Campbell feel when he sees other young QBs get a start so early, and go on to flourish? He wants to play just as bad a Brunell, does he deserve his chance while it still matters? If this is really about the QBs feelings then just give equal consideration there.

Then I think, that all the other problems are impossible to fix this late in the season. A team can't rebuild an O-line, D-line, secondary or coaching staff 8 weeks in. The only change that could be made that may possible effect a positive upswing of the sort that is required, is changing the QB. It might not seem like the fairest thing in the world for Mark, but there is a potential upside here for the team.

That's the view, but even there you aren't going to get the improvement you are looking for. Mostly, the foibles of a young QB are going to be waved away by the fanbase as the price for playing a young QB. Most fans are just going to be happy their young guy is playing, until they are sick of the young guy not producing.

When things go wrong, fans want to swap players, especially when they feel there are better players on the bench. But, usually the best players are on the field. The coaches wouldn't behave otherwise, since they want to win just as much as the fans want them to win.

Jason

So we pitty MB because he's too old and too senile to realize he's hurting our teams chances? is that a good summary of the article?

Well, if you had bother to read it, you would see that the article states that a QB change could alienate an offense and open up another mess that likely woudln't be sorted through by the end of the season. Basically, it just re-iterates that the smartest thing to do is to leave the starter in until the season is completely lost because all will be lost if you make that transition mid season.

But yes, MB isn't getting the job done and I agree. But you asked what the article was about and I told you :D

Man, I need a beer. :cheers:

Archived