Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell, the dink and dunk argument, and keeping hope alive

TSO

Here's the argument everyone continuously puts forth that I just don't understand. It's simply an argument that needs a turned blind eye. Look, Mark can throw other passes just fine. He's shown that this season on numerous occasions. He's shown that against Minny, against Jax, against Tenn, and yesterday against Indy. No, maybe it's not on every down, but he does it. He's actually got quite an arm too. His accuracy may be just a tad bit off, but it's by no means bad.

So, really, the problem is the play calling. We seem to always do fine the first half, mixing it up well with passes going everywhere... but then I don't know what happens. It just stops. In my opinion, I think it's all due to the lack of trust in the Oline.

Mark gets knocked so much on here it's ridiculous. Especially about not going through his reads. Here's the problem. To go through your reads, you need to be able to sit in the pocket. You tell me, honestly, can any QB sit in the pocket with the way our Oline is playing more often than not? The answer is a BIG FAT NO. If you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself. Everytime we get ourselves into 3rd and long situations I hold my breath when we hike the ball and I see ANY blitzers. It usually means they'll get pressure on us. Which means either Mark gets sacked, he gets flushed out, or he checks it down quick. The fact that he has saved us SO many sacks this season, in my opinion, makes him one of the better players on our team.

He is NOT the reason we are playing badly. Far from it. Our Oline can definitely run block and pull... but we are having major difficulties stopping the pass rush. Maybe it's not all the Olines fault either. It could be that we just keep putting oursleves into bad situations, for whatever reason, then wind up having to convert a third and long.

Everytime Mark gets time, he does something good with the ball. That seems crazy, but it's true. If everyone on the opposing D drops back in coverage, leaving only the DLine to rush Brunell, good things usually happen. Now, the Oline still doesn't play opposing teams Dline well, but Mark is pretty good at avoiding guys tryna kill him. He can find the open man. He is also pretty good at getting the ball to a reciever when the play breaks down and he gets flushed out. He improvises quite well.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but in all honesty... QB is a position that gets the most criticism, yet it is the position most people know very little about. They only look at the passes and where they're going and how fast and accurate... but there's a lot more to it than that. I'm sorry, but Gibbs is not the idiot everyone is making him out to be. He is not some guy who comes in and plays favorites. He is not some guy who is willing to throw a season down the drain because he 'likes' somebody. He is not this old senile man who's simply in denial about the choices he's made. He has proven he's still capable of coaching winning teams.

Look. Things haven't gone our way this season. I know. It's hard, I know. We all expected big things... well, guess what? So did our players. Have we forgotten how excited everyone was during the offseason? The SuperBowl aspirations coming from all the coaches and players? Just imagine how hard they are hit by this. The bright side of all this is that the NFL continues on. Things change. At the end of this season, we might feel completely different than how we feel now. If not, there is a next season. We got a coach who will fight until this things gets fixed. He said himself that he won't give up on this team. What more could you ask for?

If you're a Redskins fan, you know the answer to that one.

Brunell's arm has shown strength, no argument here, the biggest problem is Mark doesn't read the entire field. MB locks on to one target and if he doesn't come open then it is dumpsville or bust. This has been pointed out by numerous posters, who attend the game, writers, and other team officials that Brunell does not survey the field properly and teams thus leave the number 2 and 3 WR in man coverage.

The deep balls that Brunell has put up were to the #1 option that teams failed to realize and thus were open. When was the last time you've seen Brunell look a sefety off then go deep in the opposite direction.

As far as the O-line goes they played alright against the Colts, there were numerous plays the line held up only to see Brunell dump it off to Betts or Sellers.

The fact is Brunell is old, scared, immobile, and doesn't trust the WR's, his arm, or the system. Combine all of the above and you get 2-5.

I don't think it's Mark's arm (which I think is fine) nor do I think it's entirely the play-calling. I think it's Mark's decision-making. He simply refuses to throw the ball downfield unless he absolutely has to and the play is wide open. He is going with the dink and dunk route totally by choice.

Mark's arm is fine and so is the play calling. The problem is that it takes two years to learn this system. So Mark, not yet comfortable with knowing where all of his receivers are supposed to be, he learns where his favorite target will be on any given play (Moss), because he has learned to trust Moss. And by doing this time after time after time, he has become his own worst enemy, because he (himself) is causing teams to double and triple cover his favorite target. And when he sees Moss is covered, then he tries to look somewhere else, and if he is unable to spot someone else very quickly, he simply panics or throws the ball away. He is playing with a fear of making a mistake, especially when he knows that the reason he's starting is because the coaches feel that he protects the ball better than unproven guys. A recipe for disaster is the result.

Here is the problem that you can't see for some reason. The Skins are BAD. Say it with me, thay are BAD. No play calling will help. All of the people who don't realize that we are BAD are cluttering up this board with "if we win this or that", "if we do this or that". Fact is the time to start rebuilding is now and every week that Brunell starts is another week we are not rebuilding. Any support for Brunell is a hindrance to the future of the franchise.

Guest mwill008

You are what you are. At 2-5, we are not going to playoff and looking at the schedule there is no way we can go 8-1 and by some miracle we did do it, we have loss pretty much all the tiebreakers so far, so we are done. I have a few things that could help our team for next season.

• Play Rocky more
  • Start Wynn instead Crater
  • Play Campbell so he can take his lumps now and be ready for next year
  • Cut Kenny Wright in the off-season and try to get Nate Clement
  • Draft a pass rusher and play him early
  • Cut or Trade Pattern or Thrash and get WR 6’2 or over.

I am sorry we are just bad!!!

Archived