Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Joe Gibbs' Press Conference 10/16/06 (7:10PM) Final Audio Update

JimmiJo

Joe Gibbs' Press Conference 10/16/06

Listen to Joe Gibbs' Press Conference HERE

Listen to Troy Vincent HERE

Listen to Jerry Gray HERE

Listen to Bubba Tyer HERE -

Rogers had surgery today resulting in three screws being inserted into his right thumb.

:helmet:

Hey All!

Well, I am curious to see this presser. We signed a new safety in Troy Vincent today and I'm sure the coach will speak to that. I suspect however that the majority of questions will be directed towards figuring out what the problems are with this team.

Feel free to comment as I will monitor for the next 15 minutes or so...

Sorry for the delay everyone. After Gibbs we had Troy Vincent and then Jerry Gray. I have audio to upload from all, although Vincent is really a quiet talker and I hope you can hear it. I am working on my write up and stuff now...

“In general, anytime we get out-rushed, we lose.”

These were the words of Joe Gibbs today and music to my ears. The most frustrating thing watching yesterday was the lack of running game in the second half. I think today we heard loud and clear that we will see the run game featured more moving forward. This is of course me editorializing but I can tell you that I am not alone in the media room in thinking that Gibbs is going to drive this point home with people like Al Saunders.

In general I think we saw a coach sick of losing, and one that was not in the best of moods (I sensed around the question from David Elfin of the Washington Times regarding the consistently poor play of the defense that the coach was about done with us today). I think we also saw a press corps willing to ask tough questions and even banter with the coach. One writer in particular went back and forth (thrice) with Gibbs asking about the possibility that Griffith and Big Joe may have been held out because the team took Tennessee too lightly. This prompted an animated coach to reply that he has “Never, ever, ever,” held a player out. I found that exchange fascinating as rarely do reporters re-ask questions of Gibbs in such a manner.

In case you didn’t see the presser and wondered, there will be no quarterback change this week, period.

I thought there good questions asked today by all, and I was able to get in a few:

• Was Mark Brunell’s ability to throw affected by the toenail injury?

• Last year we heard of situations where players such as Clinton Portis would approach the coaches in-game with suggestions for plays. Is that happening this year?

• Did Shawn Springs make it through the game ok?

I’m glad I asked the question about player feedback because in the answer (for the record, I still don’t know if the answer was yes or no) he mentioned that he had a players-only meeting last week. I remember a comment he made last week that made me wonder if such a meeting occurred.

Someone mentioned that there were comments post-conference by the press and that guys here were imitating Gibbs saying the “Never, ever” comment. For the record, this is as animated a Coach Gibbs as we have seen this year and naturally people will have a bit of fun with it.

There was also the comment before the presser that someone was checking the mic and asked “Coach, are you ready to retire?” For the record that was NOT a member of the Redskins’ organization. Often reporters closest to the mic will be asked to check it. That’s what happened on that. I am not sure which one it was but wanted to make sure everyone knew it was not one of the staff.

Everyone was here today, Sonny, George, all of the other TV folks, as well as all of the regional papers.

Bubba Tyer just stopped by and I will upload the audio.

Joe Gibbs' Press Conference 10/16/06

Hey All!

Well, I am curious to see this presser. We signed a new safety in Troy Vincent today and I'm sure the coach will speak to that. I suspect however that the majority of questions will be directed towards figuring out what the problems are with this team.

Feel free to comment as I will monitor for the next 15 minutes or so...

I am really hoping he states that he will run the offense and script plays with Al during the week or tell Al to look through his 700 page book and run up the gut to set up the outside rush or run the ball with a big players such as Sellars or TJ or that Brunell has left the team becasue of bomb threats :D

I am really hoping he states that he will run the offense and script plays with Al during the week or tell Al to look through his 700 page book and run up the gut to set up the outside rush or run the ball with a big players such as Sellars or TJ or that Brunell has left the team becasue of bomb threats :D

It could happen... :silly:

I think he stated very clearly that HE WILL NOT do this. He wouldn't answer on what else he might do to correct the problems with the team (leaving all options on the table from what I heard him say) but he most definately said he wouldn't be calling the plays.

Thanks Jimmijo.

If you or someone could ask:

As you mention "we are all in this together" is it even more disheartening to know that all aspects of the team are in dissaray which will make it that much more difficult to fix all these issues in the near future versus waiting until the off-season to address those issues?

Darrell

JimmiJo... I would really like to hear whether Joe Gibbs thinks that the hunger that this team had last year still exists...

If it does, what is his explanation for a team that performs poorly compared to last year's team with less talent.

Last years team way outplayed the caliber of the players on the squad, in my opinion, it is because they seemed to have a fire last year that is missing this year.

I think he stated very clearly that HE WILL NOT do this. He wouldn't answer on what else he might do to correct the problems with the team (leaving all options on the table from what I heard him say) but he most definately said he wouldn't be calling the plays.

As stated in previous threads...it's not the play calling. It's the lack of execution from our O-line and QB position right now that is killing us as an offensive unit.

I'd ask "When it was clear in the 3rd quarter that Mark wasn't able to plant his foot when he threw. Why did you decide to leave him in?"

This isn't a "bench" Brunell comment. Its just that when he can't plant, he missed high and low.

the injury didn't seem to effect his in-the-pocket dance moves.

I would really like to know if Gibbs has thought about bringing in any former players to talk to the team. Doc Walker and Barry Wilburn were discussing this on the JT show today and they said that they felt it would help. Might be an interesting response... or not.... :laugh:

Could you ask him something along the lines of, why hasn't our defense played to its capabilities during this season? Lack of turnovers, lack of sacks, allowing 100 rushers in consecutive games, giving up a high percentage of third downs, etc.

I'm curious to know what he has to say about our defense, other than, "we are fighting our guts out" and "we have to stay together"

JimmiJo... I would really like to hear whether Joe Gibbs thinks that the hunger that this team had last year still exists...

If it does, what is his explanation for a team that performs poorly compared to last year's team with less talent.

Last years team way outplayed the caliber of the players on the squad, in my opinion, it is because they seemed to have a fire last year that is missing this year.

I'd be interested in hearing this too.

Where's the intesity?

Then that just sucks, because running the ball only 14 times with one of the NFLs premier running backs is tearing this team and us fans apart. Portis was seizing 4 yards a pop and last time I check, 4 times 3 is 12. We cant continue to operate this way. The Titans presented us with oppurtunities and we didnt go after them. It seems that week after week I am asking the same questions and every week I am pissed about the same results. Change NOW!!!!!!! :mad:

The heck with Duckett. How 'bout CP only getting 14 carries?!? :doh:

You can't get more carries when you're playing from behind in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. You have to throw the ball more often than you'd like to get a score on the board. Can't just run the ball and drain the clock when playing from behind as much as you'd like.

Archived