Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- most recent sniper press conference

Murilo Bustamante

The truth is that no one knows at this point whether internationally sponsored terrorism is behind this, or whether this is just the proverbial nut with a gun. The fact that we can't rule out terrorism is troubling, but such is post 9/11 life.

Originally posted by Murilo Bustamante

Sniper's letter from Ashland said "your children are not safe anywhere, anytime."

Food for thought - he hasn't killed anyone at their place of residence. Might a child at home be the next target?

Also, not relating to the note, but given the "relationship" that appears to be developing between Moose and the shooter, I wonder whether Moose might ever be a target. Or a member of the media camped out at the command center. How far would that go to show that nobody's safe?

I've read as much as I can about this down here in Texas, but you guys get more info, and a lot more quickly.

I'm wondering just how big of an operation this is. Just one guy? Two-- the sniper and the driver? Or could there be several rifles involved? Another thought-- what if a new guy stepped in to demand the money? That is, someone other than the original sniper.

I don't know, but the demand for money doesn't sound like an external terrorist to me. If it were foreign work, I imagine the demands would involve the release of political prisoners, demands on U.S. military strategy, etc.

I am beginning to believe it's Terrorist related as well. 2 guys IMO operating together but seperate. It just seems to me that someone would know these guys if they were just a nutcase. A terrorist cell is more likely to keep to themselves and not establish contact in the community.

If it is Al Queda, what do we do when we catch them?

I have this grave feeling that we are edging closer and closer to a global confrontation between Muslim extremists (including those in Israel) and western cultures.

Originally posted by Murilo Bustamante

Sniper's letter from Ashland said "your children are not safe anywhere, anytime."

The word "your" in that sentence is interesting. It's an outsider's choice of words.

(Anyone remember when Ross Perot got in trouble when he addressed the NAACP and used the words "you people" to address the blacks in the audience? A lot of people took offense at that, noticing the terminology.)

In this case, the sniper may or may not be part of al Quaeda or a foreign terrorist group. But the terminology tells me he thinks he's not part of this community. It could be a psychotic state of mind, the voice of a foreigner, or the voice of a foreign terrorist organization.

I wasn't buying into the terrorist theory, until heard that he(they)

are asking for money. This could be to finance their activities.

My sisters live in Richmond area (near I-95 north). One has two

kids in school. She is concerned and has considered home schooling.

I'm going to the game Sunday via bus. My wife isn't excited about

me traveling up to the game. She is most worried about the bus

stopping along the way.

Originally posted by redman

Also, not relating to the note, but given the "relationship" that appears to be developing between Moose and the shooter, I wonder whether Moose might ever be a target. Or a member of the media camped out at the command center. How far would that go to show that nobody's safe?

They DO have anti-sniper teams at the command post, and an extremely strong police prescence. While it would make a strong statement, the odds are he'd get nailed if he tried it.

Also,

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

The word "your" in that sentence is interesting. It's an outsider's choice of words.

While I think that's an interesting point, you have to consider that he is addressing his targets. What else would he say? "Our" children?

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

What's the alternative wording? "My" kids aren't safe? "Our" kids aren't safe?

And what do you expect the wording to indicate? An insider? One of our bretheren? "I'm killing your kids, pal"?

Of course it's someone who feels like an outsider, like people are nothing more than targets in his crosshairs. Otherwise, a human being would not be able to act this way.

Regarding terrorists versus not, we have no way to know. Each unpredictable twist in this case could be the result of a madman's attempt to keep up with events, with his disorganization withthe macro aspect of this crisis actually helping him in this regard as it lends unpredictability.

It could also be the result of a more organized group that is trying desperately to cover its tracks and its identity by attempting to appear to be the proverbial crazed lone gunman.

Both of those scenarios are in play, so I'm reserving judgement. What I don't like, however, is the clear lesson that's being taught to anyone who cares to attempt to replicate this for whatever purpose. That sucks!

Archived