Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Lost Identity

kenskins

It all goes back to the 3rd and 1 at the Giants 25 yard line.

In my humble opinion, this was two down territory and an opprtunity to change the momentum of the game. We were averaging a little better than 4 yards per carry and there was no reason to believe we couldn't pound this home. TWO chances! Best back over your best blockers! A chance for our o-line to gain some much needed confidence and let their defense know that we ARE a power rushing football team and we are reclaiming the line of scrimmage.

Joe said it himself. "We needed a spark. We needed someone to step up and make a play".

Instead, we attempt to FINESSE the defense with a short throw to Cooley. If we are going to put the ball in the air at that point, this was a PERFECT opportunity with favorable matchups on the outside to go down the field and try to score. If we weren't successful, then bang it home on fourth and one. At least we go down swinging.

This drive and this play in particular was about establishing our identity as a team, much like we did last year with 5 games left.

Instead, all that is left are questions as to who this team really is.

I couldn't agree with you more and it makes my blood boil. Let's see what we got here for 4th and real short:

(1) QB sneak

(2) Naked Bootleg

(3) Handoff to Portis / Betts / Cartright / Duckett

(4) Pitch to Portis / Betts / Cartright

(5) Steam Roll Sellers

(6) Steam Roll Duckett

(7) Wide Receiver Screen

|

|

|

|

(2486) Put in an injured kicker, miss the field goal, completely deflate defense, lose game.

I think we should go with option 2486, that would be supersmart.

Also, with the way Pierce was committing on the toss plays I was sure we'd throw run the fake toss and flip to the other side that we ran several times last year but have yet to see at all this year. Their LBs were begging for it.

I couldn't agree with you more and it makes my blood boil. Let's see what we got here for 4th and real short:

(1) QB sneak

(2) Naked Bootleg

(3) Handoff to Portis / Betts / Cartright / Duckett

(4) Pitch to Portis / Betts / Cartright

(5) Steam Roll Sellers

(6) Steam Roll Duckett

(7) Wide Receiver Screen

|

|

|

|

(2486) Put in an injured kicker, miss the field goal, completely deflate defense, lose game.

I think we should go with option 2486, that would be supersmart.

(2487) Give the ball to the opposing team say "We give up" and walk off the feild.

We basically did option 2487 last sunday

Also, with the way Pierce was committing on the toss plays I was sure we'd throw run the fake toss and flip to the other side that we ran several times last year but have yet to see at all this year. Their LBs were begging for it.

Even that though would be a finesse play.

I think in that game when a comeback is a long-shot based on how things are going, you have to change your luck. You pound it on 3rd and 1 and pound it on 4th and 1. If you get stuffed, you're not too much worse off than if you make the FG (down 13 instead of 10).

(9) Give the ball to the opposing team say "We give up" and walk off the feild.

We basically did option 9 last sunday

Completely agree. That was the game right there, and if all of us knew that with our lack of football expertise, then it should have been even more obvious to the coaching staff.

Those plays were the exact opposite of tough, hard-nosed football - which is exactly the type of football we strive to play.

And to make matters worse, all of the media basically gave Gibbs a free pass on that horrendously pathetic decision. We need to start letting the team know our displeasure with crap like this during home games.

If I remember correctly, on the first drive we faced the Titans last time, we had a 4th and 1 which was play action with Steven Davis in the backfield and pass to Mike Sellers run after the catch for a TD. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Gibbs is finished, Hes to loyal and to nice to motivate this team. He continues to play scared and this has rubbed off on the skins.

Put campbell, Mcintosh, Golston in and maybe the slackers on the team will get the hint.

Man, it's good to know we can go ahead and write him off now. Not like he led us to the playoffs last year or is in the hall of fame or anything. I mean come on, we've lost 3 games, are you happy Joe?

Gibbs is finished, Hes to loyal and to nice to motivate this team. He continues to play scared and this has rubbed off on the skins.

Put campbell, Mcintosh, Golston in and maybe the slackers on the team will get the hint.

He's definitely not finished...but I do believe he's being too soft, too loyal and too nice right now. This team has to understand that no one's job is guaranteed and that poor performances will lead to the bench.

Archived