Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jacksonville Notebook: Rushing plan will change

Angus

NOTEBOOK: Rushing plan will change

By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT, The Times-Union

Utilizing counter and draw plays, Jacksonville running backs Fred Taylor and Maurice Drew piled up rushing yardage quickly in a 177-yard gash-fest of the Colts last Sunday.

The Jaguars likely won't be able to return to those bread-and-butter plays against a Redskins defense focused on stuffing the run. But that doesn't mean the other running plays won't work.

"We're preparing for all of their run fronts," Taylor said. "We just want to exploit the areas they give up."

While a veteran group, Washington's defensive front led by Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a and Andre Carter allows 95 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league behind teams such as sixth-ranked Dallas and 10th-ranked Pittsburgh.

Because the interior of Washington's line outweighs the middle of Indianapolis' defensive line by an average of 34 pounds, Jacksonville likely won't be as successful this week running draw plays because the Jaguars' line won't be able to control the Redskins tackles as easily.

"Just because we were successful with a few plays the week before, we may not run them at all this week," Jaguars guard Vince Manuwai said. "We've seen stuff we can run that will benefit us this week."

Of course, Manuwai, Taylor and Drew won't say which plays those are. Perhaps the Jaguars will attack the Redskins with more quick-hitting runs off tackle or up the middle.

Taylor did say there likely won't be as many opportunities for the Jaguars to break the "home run."

"You know I can't tell you," Drew said of the team's strategy. "We'll attack them the same way we've been attacking them. We're going in there prepared for anything."

Familiar foes

Jaguars linebacker Nick Greisen gets a chance Sunday to play against his second cousin, Casey Rabach, the starting center for the Washington Redskins.

Greisen's mother and Rabach's father are first cousins. Greisen and Rabach grew up together in Sturgeon Bay, Wis., played high school ball together, and later in college at Wisconsin. Rabach is two years older than Greisen, who says he hasn't called his cousin this week to discuss the game.

"I'll talk to him on the field," Greisen said.

Greisen played with the New York Giants for four years before joining the Jaguars. Rabach spent three seasons with the Baltimore Ravens before signing with the Redskins in 2005.

"When I was in New York, we got to see each other twice a year," Greisen said. "He was older than me and he and my [older] brother picked on me because I was the youngest."

Etc.

Jaguars CB Rashean Mathis (knee) returned to practice and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game. ... DE Marcellus Wiley (groin) and FB Derrick Wimbush (knee) were held out of practice and are listed as doubtful. G Chris Naoele (knee), DT Marcus Stroud, S Donovin Darius (back), DE Paul Spicer (groin), RB Drew (ankle) and WRs Matt Jones (groin) and Chad Owens (ribs) are probable. ... Redskins QB Mark Brunell (left elbow) and DT Salave'a (calf) are listed as probable and CB Shawn Springs (abdomen/groin) is doubtful.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/093006/jag_5338935.shtml

NOTEBOOK: Rushing plan will change

By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT, The Times-Union

While a veteran group, Washington's defensive front led by Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Joe Salave'a and Andre Carter allows 95 yards per game, which ranks 15th in the league behind teams such as sixth-ranked Dallas and 10th-ranked Pittsburgh.

Very good, Michael! Only twelve other teams to name that are above 15!

:rolleyes:

Fred Taylor and Maurice Drew don't scare me, if their offense is going to put up points on us they will have to be balanced.

if we don't tackle well, Taylor will scare us, he's got crazy moves in space

"I'll talk to him on the field," Greisen said.

:laugh: I'm sure he will

When healthy Fred Taylor is a great back...has the quicks, moves in open space to be elusive...but is big enough to be physical and powerfull as well. I don't know much about Drew other than the outing he had against the colts.

While I'll take holding a back to under a 100 yards any game/day for a defense...we can't allow huge gashes, or good runs at inopportune times. Lately the explosive plays Gibbs hates to give up have happened through the air and not on the ground. The skins have thier work cut out for them Sunday...that is for sure. Hopefully they respond and show the Jags what they are made of, and can slug it out with the best of them. This is a true test. Hope we have passing grades.

Archived