Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Logic of a decision...

AsburySkinsFan

Ok, I'm a big fan of Jason Campbell, that's no secret. I can't wait for his turn undercenter, because I believe as many do that he can be a great QB. Right, now though I am trying to understand all sides of this debate. So, will someone give me the logic that keeps Brunell as the starter next week. I believe and have believed that Jason should be the starter I just want to understand what would keep Mark as the starter. I know that this is calling for objective arguments in the wake of a loss to Dallas. But, I'd still like to explore these arguments.

I don't believe that Saunders would have come here had he not believed that he had the proper QB to win with during his tenure, however long that may be. He knows what it takes to run HIS offense. I wish that I could be a fly on the wall when he explains to the other coaches just what is missing.

I'll agree with you.

If the only thing different in the game was JC instead of MB I do think that it would have turned out differently. JC has some legs and can move around in the pocket. MB didn't budge except to roll into a blitz and away from the LOS in the wrong direction. A QB that could scramble at all would have changed things. So really I think the same thing as you do and ask...

Why keep MB in there as the starter

Even under pressure..I think Campbell is calm, sticks in there and delivers the ball..he doesn't bail at the first sign of perceived pressure, and he can at least use is legs to make a play whether it be throwing or running. He will make mistakes...growing pains etc. but I'd rather see that at this point if this is the best Brunell is going to look.

Even under pressure..I think Campbell is calm, sticks in there and delivers the ball..he doesn't bail at the first sign of perceived pressure, and he can at least use is legs to make a play whether it be throwing or running. He will make mistakes...growing pains etc. but I'd rather see that at this point if this is the best Brunell is going to look.

you hit the nail on the proverbial head. JC will have growing pains, but at least he has zip on the ball, and has legs in case he gets flushed out of the pocket. honestly, id rather have JC go 20-35 250 yds with 2 tds and 3 picks, than to see brunell finish with, what was it? a 26.0 qb rating

Yeah, these pretty much echo my thoughts. It seems as though we are seeing the best that Brunell can do, and I don't know anyone who thinks that Brunell is going to last as the starter. So what keeps him in next Sunday? Why wouldn't they put in Campbell? At least then he could begin working and improving in real games. The only consolation that we have at this point is that we're only 1 game back from the rest of the division.

You heard Gibbs in his press conference today. I'm paraphrasing but he said that Mark is the starter unless he gets hurt. I think this is a big mistake. I'll be honest, I was a Brunell supporter, but what I saw on Sunday night was a guy unable to make throws downfield and scared to throw the ball downfield. And he justified being scared by throwing that duck to Roy Williams after the momentum changing turnover when we could have tied the game.

Right, now though I am trying to understand all sides of this debate. So, will someone give me the logic that keeps Brunell as the starter next week.

Brunell is a veteran, Brunell is super smart, Brunell had a good year last year with less talent, Brunell is directing a new and complicated offense, it is the beginning of the season so let's give Brunell a couple more games before we throw in the towel on him.

I want to see JC as much as anyone but I can't even fathom dropping Brunell for atleast two more games. If he fails against the Texans we have serious problems. However, if he has a decent performance he deserves one more week after that to prove himself against a true top-level defense when we face the Jaguars.

Well, as you said, you are a JC fan, so it's understandable you want him to play in light of how we are doing.

I must tell you though, that I'm not a JC fan. I didn't think we should have drafted him and I certainly didn't think we should have given up all that we did. JC had one good year in college for a terrific team that had two NFL caliber RBs.

My belief is the coaches have worked with him now for two years and are concluding he's not an NFL QB. If they liked what they saw, he wouldn't have a hard time beating Collins out of the two spot.

So, to the point. JC is not playing because he simply is not an NFL caliber QB. I base that on what I've seen of him in two years and what I saw of him in college. I also base that on the fact that the coaches of the Redskins seldom praise him and the fact that JC isn't sniffing the starting QB spot yet. It doesn't typically take good first round QBs that long to wrestle the two spot from someone else on the team. JC can't even do that.

Yes, he has a nice arm, but playing QB is a lot more than that.

Having said that, if he takes the field, I'll cheer like hell for him and hope he proves me wrong.

Hail,

H

You heard Gibbs in his press conference today. I'm paraphrasing but he said that Mark is the starter unless he gets hurt. I think this is a big mistake. I'll be honest, I was a Brunell supporter, but what I saw on Sunday night was a guy unable to make throws downfield and scared to throw the ball downfield. And he justified being scared by throwing that duck to Roy Williams after the momentum changing turnover when we could have tied the game.

As Long as Joe Gibbs feels this way the Skins will be fighting for their proverbial lives week in and week out no matter who the opponent. Wild card at best with Brunell.

We've seen the best of Brunell last season and it wasn't good enough.

We have a first round pick in JC..does Gibbs not trust his own judgement in drafting JC in the first round???

JC can avoid the rush and make the plays..he's a playmaker and Brunell no longer is. Brunell is slower this year than last it seems.

JC is not Ramsey..I could understand Ramsey because he was a pocket passer. JC has touch and is very mobile which this O-line desperately needs.

I'd rather lose with JC (the future) than win with Brunell. Our defense is not the same caliber as Chicago or San Diego. We need mobility in our QB. We need a QB who can make all the throws..Brunell no longer can.

It's that simple..it's time for JC..Brunell's days are numbered in my opinion. At best Brunell will get us to 10-6 or 9-7 or even 8-8. The potential upside to Campbell in this offense and with these weapons is immense.

Brunell did about as much wrong a QB can in one game last night.

He was afraid to put the ball where it needed to be for fear of interceptions and lack of ability. He was afraid to wait in the pocket til the last second with the blitz coming to make the play throwing the ball up fo grabs way to early. He could no longer feel the pass rush because he went the wrong way numerous times and took the sack because of his decision.

I think JC only gets sacked once or twice at best last night (maybe not at all)if he was in there and breaks a couple long ones adding a new dimension to the Skins offense.

So maybe we get Brunell up to as good as he was last season..and what? a wildcard and a first round loss? Brunell is gonna beat Chcago's D? Seatle's D?

Giants and PHilly are the cream of the East..Dallas and Skins duke out the bottom as long as they both have Bledsoe and Brunell.

Next week we beat Houston 17 to 10?? 13 to 9?, 10 to 6? whooppeee..a Win..nowhere near where we need to be.

This offense is perfect for JC to come in and have success early! Skins have weapons and and O-line that is good enough for him to use his mobility and make plays..that's to good to pass up for an aging veteran we feel sorry for because he's a nice guy.

I feel bad for Brunell I really do but we are not going anywhere with him at the helm I fear. We're wasting valuable time for JC that's all.

My belief is the coaches have worked with him now for two years and are concluding he's not an NFL QB. If they liked what they saw, he wouldn't have a hard time beating Collins out of the two spot.

I hear your argument but I think you missed the part where Coach Gibbs announced that JC is the #2 QB, just not on gameday. If Brunell gets hurt during a game, Collins will finish the game for him, but JC will start the next game. So in hind-sight Collins is pretty much all-time 2nd string. Collins will not start unless MB and JC are injured.

As far as Jason Campbell leading the team: JC is not ready to lead this team, and we need to give it three more weeks before we quit on Brunell. Brunell admitted that he didn't play well. Keep in mind that many QB's would point the finger at someone else. That is pretty noble of him. I really feel that he lost his confidence during this transition trying to learn the new offense. As bad as the Texans are, I think our offense is gonna blow up, and we will start to see the Brunell we all know.

That's my ----> :2cents:

L.J.

Archived