Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Countertrey and Power Football??

RiggoReincarnated

The NFL has changed a lot since those days. Defensive linemen are a lot bigger now, it's not quite so easy to just blow them off the line, and the linemen and linebackers are much quicker now and they can more quickly attack the point on the countertrey. I'm not saying it would never work, but we can't just rely on it like we used to back in the day.

The NFL has changed a lot since those days. Defensive linemen are a lot bigger now, it's not quite so easy to just blow them off the line, and the linemen and linebackers are much quicker now and they can more quickly attack the point on the countertrey. I'm not saying it would never work, but we can't just rely on it like we used to back in the day.
Hey guess what?? Offensive lineman didnt just freeze in the early 90's. They also became larger and quicker.

You know, it's funny to see this thread because I LOVE power-running football, while it seems like everyone else wants to see LOTS of passing. I'll take a boring running game over an aerial show if it means more wins. Yeah, we should have run the ball more Monday.

We have to prove that we can get the ball into all areas of the field (short, middle, and deep) before a slow-developing play like counter-trey will work. Right now, teams play us with seven or eight men close to the line either to stuff the run or put pressure on Brunell. A counter step isn't enough to freeze LBs and safeties already focused on the backfield.

If we start hitting some slants and get defenses concerned about the middle of the field we'll have more breathing room for more patient running plays.

The Hogs dominated in the 80's because most linemen were 275lbs. We marched out a 300lb plus line and there were no d-linemen over 280lbs back then. Then we mixed in blocking TE's and 240lb Riggins, there was no way people could stop us. Now everyone has 300lb plus linemen.

But now the d-linemen go 310lbs and up and have some quickness. Not as easy to run the counter trey any more. I'm like stwasm, I love a good power running game. But in today's NFL, we see more 100 catch receivers than 35-40 carry a game RBs.

I want to see Duckett pound the ball at Dallas this week to wear down that D. At least 15 touches for him and 20 for Portis. Let's just crush these guys!

I didn't see this mentioned much or answered anywhere...but does anyone have a logical explaination why with 3 times in the redzone Duckett never got the ball?

WTF is he here for, if not for those situations?

Gibbs kept insisting he was going to use him at the goal line, but he said the situation never came up. Was Gibbs watching the same game as us? Bad excuse by him. We had a 2nd and goal at the 3 at one point.

We could have at least put him in the game as a decoy.....I bet Minny would have tried to jump the run if they saw us sub him in....

We could have at least put him in the game as a decoy.....I bet Minny would have tried to jump the run if they saw us sub him in....

I agree with you 100%.

We used power football and running when we went on our 5 game win streak last year...that's why I'm curious about our offensive strategy and almost wonder if we are trying to get too fancy.

We have a good line with experienced run blockers. When we ran at Minnesota we seemed to have success with it, particularly to our left side.

Archived