Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running advice?

Slateman

So, if you'll do a search, you'll notice that I sprained my ankle pretty bad a while ago. Its better. Or will be soon. Time to run and get back into shape for the Marines.

Apparently, I supinate :( I was thinking of buying these shoes A little pricey, but I have a cousin who works at Footlocker who might be able to get me a deal. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I've seen them rated pretty high on most websites.

well, I'm looking to get better at running, especially my 3 mile time. Seeing as how I could barely make it a mile and a half before I hurt my ankle (like 5 weeks ago), I have some work to do.

My plan to start is

Monday - several 1/4 mile sprints. (Goal time: 90 seconds or less). Walk a lap in between

Wednesday - Distance run. Slow jog trying to build up endurance. Start at 2 miles and work my way up

Friday - 3 One mile runs (goal time 6-6:30 minutes). Run one mile on a track and then walk 3-4 laps.

I will add distance and repititions after a couple weeks.

Does anyone know any good trails in the Northern Virginia area? My block is rather dull and I'm always looking for new scenerey. I'm ready to get going on this. I have proper running form and will soon have new shoes. The only problem will be I'm sure my ankle will be a bit touchy for the first week.

Does anyone know any good trails in the Northern Virginia area? My block is rather dull and I'm always looking for new scenerey. I'm ready to get going on this. I have proper running form and will soon have new shoes. The only problem will be I'm sure my ankle will be a bit touchy for the first week.

W & OD trail is one that comes to mind. Where in NVA are you?

A few thoughts:

(1) a running store, such as Potomac River Running (in Ashburn and Burke) will do a 'gait analysis' for you. They will video you running on a treadmill and recommend a type of shoe that suits your gait. You don't have to buy from there, but you will get good advice.

(2) If your goal is a fast 3 mile run, I'd recommend you follow one of the 5k (3.1 miles) training plans available on the web. http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/ for example ... you might find the later stages of the Novice program is a good place to start and then move onto the Intermediate program.

(3) The schedule you suggested above needs to be different to best prepare for a 3 mile run. For example, if you think you are close to being in shape to run 6:00 - 6:30 mile pace, or 90 second quarters, your long easy runs should be more than 2 miles. If you find it difficult to run four miles, reduce the pace, but from the beginning you should try to cover 4-5 miles, even if it means walking a little. The important thing is to get your cardiovascular system working for longer than it would during the shorter intense sessions. Also, if you get the chance, one run a week should be on a hilly trail to improve your strength.

(4) Regarding trails, the W&OD trail is a good place to run. The horse trail which runs alongside the asphalt is gravel and dirt and easier on the joints than the paved surface. It also is more undulating, which helps with improving strength.

W & OD trail is one that comes to mind. Where in NVA are you?

Thats right by my house. Unfortunately, I'm right by where it runs across a bunch of streets. I don't like running 3/4 of a mile and having to stop and wait for traffic.

(3) The schedule you suggested above needs to be different to best prepare for a 3 mile run. For example, if you think you are close to being in shape to run 6:00 - 6:30 mile pace, or 90 second quarters, your long easy runs should be more than 2 miles. If you find it difficult to run four miles, reduce the pace, but from the beginning you should try to cover 4-5 miles, even if it means walking a little. The important thing is to get your cardiovascular system working for longer than it would during the shorter intense sessions. Also, if you get the chance, one run a week should be on a hilly trail to improve your strength.

6 minutes and 90 seconds are my goals. I'm nowhere near that. I'm lucky if I can finish a mile in 9 minutes :(

6 minutes and 90 seconds are my goals. I'm nowhere near that. I'm lucky if I can finish a mile in 9 minutes :(

If that's the case, and the 3-mile run is your goal, it's more important that you train longer and slower than the shorter sessions you described, which are more suited to someone more focused on running a mile.

Try the Hal Higdon suggestion or something similar, starting at the end of the Novice program and moving through the Intermediate Program, and in a few months time, before you realise it, you'll consider an easy run on Sunday to be anything less than five miles. :)

Again, the important thing is getting your heart and lungs working for longer, even if that means runing very slow, or walking.

Listen to Ashburnskinsfan, he has the idea. I'm not sure if this is a race you will be running or if you merely need to be able to run three miles, but either way you needn't worry about speed work (running sprints). If you feel your mile time is around 9 minutes right now you would be much better off building a base by putting in some mileage. You need to build strength before worrying about speed. Just running sprints at this point will not do anything for you in a 5K. Good luck.:dallasuck

I just re-read your post: nix all that 1/4 mile, timed mile stuff. Start running 3 miles a day. Work up to five 5-8 mile runs a week and you will be golden ( if you have the time and inclination for that). But whatever you do, concentrate on longer runs.

slateman-

do you mean that you are in the Marines now, are training for the USMC Marathon, or want to join?

I am buying a new pair of running shoes tonight. I run the Crescent trail from Bethesda to Georgetown on the weekends. It is about 9.7 miles, very nice. Plus on sunday there was a hottie I chased for about 5 miles :cool:

slateman-

do you mean that you are in the Marines now, are training for the USMC Marathon, or want to join?

I am buying a new pair of running shoes tonight. I run the Crescent trail from Bethesda to Georgetown on the weekends. It is about 9.7 miles, very nice. Plus on sunday there was a hottie I chased for about 5 miles :cool:

Want to join. Well, more precisely, will join. My plan is to apply to OCS at the end of November. Gotta get much better at running. Long story with this, but I've applied before.

slateman-

AFC, come on man...you should have known by his running times

that he was not in the Marines yet... I train with marines at the

Pentagon gym and a 1.5 mile run is their warm up jog:D

We are lucky in the Air Force, Marines have to run 3 miles in close to the

same time that we have to run 1.5. Don't even get me started

on the pull ups they have to do.

I know, the Air Force is not well known for its physical conditioning.

although at OCS I did the 1.5 mile in 11:56 as a 34 year old :cool:

anyway, best of luck in making the Marines- just start running distances and then your speed will come later- I think it is more important to be able to keep up with the long runs than being the fastest in the platoon. if you are able to run 8-10 miles you will be golden..

AFC, come on man...you should have known by his running times

that he was not in the Marines yet... I train with marines at the

Pentagon gym and a 1.5 mile run is their warm up jog:D

We are lucky in the Air Force, Marines have to run 3 miles in close to the

same time that we have to run 1.5. Don't even get me started

on the pull ups they have to do.

Yea, well last year my 1.5 mile time was like 8 minutes. I ran 3 miles in just over 20 minutes. Sprained my knee, didn't stay off of it, tore it, had surgery in like February or March (I forget), rehab + meds + Slateman being a lazy, unmotivated bum = Slateman being 40lbs overweight :(

Now Slateman is only 20lbs overwieght :) Unfortunately, Slateman still stinks at running.

3 miles in 18 minutes = 100 points

20 pullups = 100 points

100 crunches (in 2 min.) = 100 points (thought the crunches were a freaking joke. Honestly, I could probably do 80 of them now in two minutes, and I haven't done a crunch in forever)

Oh and I want to run long runs faster than anyone else :D

Yea, well last year my 1.5 mile time was like 8 minutes. I ran 3 miles in just over 20 minutes. Sprained my knee, didn't stay off of it, tore it, had surgery in like February or March (I forget), rehab + meds + Slateman being a lazy, unmotivated bum = Slateman being 40lbs overweight :(

Now Slateman is only 20lbs overwieght :) Unfortunately, Slateman still stinks at running.

20 pullups = 100 points

100 crunches (in 2 min.) = 100 points (thought the crunches were a freaking joke. Honestly, I could probably do 80 of them now in two minutes, and I haven't done a crunch in forever)

just place this picture on your fridge with the words "DID I SAY IT WAS CHOWTIME FAT@$$? GET OUT THERE AND RUN 10 MILES!!!"

Drill_sergeant_screams.jpg

20 pullups = 100 points

Go for it, what ya got to loose?;) I run about a 10 min 1.5 (trying to get

it down to 9 min). Those pull ups are brutal if you don't do them

all the time. The crunches are not too bad if you work at them.

Good luck with your training.

Go for it, what ya got to loose?;) I run about a 10 min 1.5 (trying to get

it down to 9 min). Those pull ups are brutal if you don't do them

all the time. The crunches are not too bad if you work at them.

Good luck with your training.

Eh, believe it or not, the pullups aren't my biggest concern. 20 is alot, but I was consistantly getting 14-16. If you wanna get them up, you got to work the lats, traps, and biceps. Practice them with palms facing out and then do them on the PFT with your palms facing your body. Finally, do the Armstrong Pull-up Program :cheers:

When I used to run a lot my mentor (former marathon runner) would always tell me not to hurt myself. If you are coming off of an ankle injury take it easy at first. When you start running you should not do any heavy sprinting, just slow and steady. Get your heart rate going, lungs expanded, your legs loose, and then start pushing yourself.

Once you are confident in your ankle again you can start really pushing the envelope. Of course with the prior knee surgery you probably already learned that lesson :D

When I used to run a lot my mentor (former marathon runner) would always tell me not to hurt myself. If you are coming off of an ankle injury take it easy at first. When you start running you should not do any heavy sprinting, just slow and steady. Get your heart rate going, lungs expanded, your legs loose, and then start pushing yourself.

Once you are confident in your ankle again you can start really pushing the envelope. Of course with the prior knee surgery you probably already learned that lesson :D

Taking it easy is a given ;)

I can't imagine anyone overweight by even a pound being able to run a 1.5 mile in under ten minutes.

but that is the joy of youth I guess.

I can do situps and pushups all day long. I always get max points for them and max points for my waistline.

it is slow white boy disease that keeps me from breaking the 90% mark.

still, for being 35 I am in the top 50% of the entire USAF fitness wise. not bad for a lawyer :cool:

keep trying hard slateman, we are rooting for you :applause:

Archived