Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: GW uses Patriot TD as teaching opportunity

spanishomelette

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083003417.html

A Teaching Opportunity--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Saturday's game between the Redskins and Patriots already well out of hand, New England Coach Bill Belichick mulled over a fourth-and-goal situation, and ultimately opted to run the ball for what turned out to be another touchdown in the 41-0 blowout. Williams was hoping that decision would be made, not looking at it as someone running up the score, but rather, a valuable teaching tool for his defensive players.

Williams said he was smiling, looking over across the sideline at Belichick, a friend of his, and trying to convey a go-for-it message.

"One of the positives we talked about in our film session was we got nine snaps of goal-line defense," Williams said. "We might go eight weeks of the regular season and not have any snaps, because you're just never into that situation. So we got a chance to work on that situation. Out of those nine snaps, I think seven of them were really good snaps. So we've got to build off of that; two of them we have to correct. They get it in by an inch. We've got to teach off of that."

See? Williams used the secret DC semaphores with Belichick.:laugh: "trying to convey" :ha:

very interesting. I'm telling you now, the staff really has something brewing for the regular season. I can deal with the media having wet dreams over Carson Palmer and the Cowchips and dogging us over meaningless preseason games. But when the guns go off we will really see who's who.

I think if your Williams and this staff that have the respect of the team and are trying to win a SB you have earned the trust of the team. The first year back Gibbs, and Williams had to earn the trust of the players. Now they got it, they can put the team in a 41-0 blowout and not have players get scared or question them. They can now work on the little things that will make them great

very interesting. I'm telling you now, the staff really has something brewing for the regular season. I can deal with the media having wet dreams over Carson Palmer and the Cowchips and dogging us over meaningless preseason games. But when the guns go off we will really see who's who.
Yup, they've got nothing to prove right now.

I think everyone just needs to realize that the media types are in those positions because they can talk a lot and look good on TV - not because they actually know more than everyone else about football. Just like most fans, they base their opinions on shallow knowledge and the popular and prevailing views of the time. The Skins staff are the ones who do this for a living.

Anybody notice the MOST important quote by Gregg Williams?!?!?!

"We might go eight weeks of the regular season and not have any snaps, because you're just never into that situation."

translation?? We may go 8 weeks before the defense gets into Goaline situations... Very confident, no?!?!

Made me smile~~ :):cheers: :point2sky

I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Belichick, other than as former division rival coaches. Bill doesn't seem like the friendliest guy in the world...

Neither does GW....It would seem that their personalities would mesh tremendously. :laugh:

Anybody notice the MOST important quote by Gregg Williams?!?!?!

"We might go eight weeks of the regular season and not have any snaps, because you're just never into that situation."

translation?? We may go 8 weeks before the defense gets into Goaline situations... Very confident, no?!?!

Made me smile~~ :):cheers: :point2sky

or they could just score from 10-50 yards out!

I think the Patriots going full blaze, guns out was good for the team as a whole to kinda see where they are at with the basics, get a feel for the game, etc..

The Patriots weren't doing anything fancy. They were playing as "vanilla" as the Skins. They just executed.

The Patriots weren't doing anything fancy. They were playing as "vanilla" as the Skins. They just executed.

Wrong.

The Patrots coaches had said after the game they did gameplan for this game to "tune-up" for the season.

The Redskins DID NOT game plan for the game. They kept it very basic, evaluating players, and preferring to "tune-up" in closed door practice.

The 2 teams had very different agendas that night, and it showed.

I think if your Williams and this staff that have the respect of the team and are trying to win a SB you have earned the trust of the team. The first year back Gibbs, and Williams had to earn the trust of the players. Now they got it, they can put the team in a 41-0 blowout and not have players get scared or question them. They can now work on the little things that will make them great

Also, some teams like the Bengals needed to "go for it" for similar reasons. The game against Green Bay probably had one goal; get the knee injury out of Carson's head. You don't want your franchise QB getting happy feet in the regular season.

Preseason has a different meaning for every team and for us, we can look like smacked butts so the coaches know what they will be working with in the regular season.

Archived