Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe we should sign this Aussie to punt

ratbert_rizzo

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/buffalobills/gnnbuffalorbills_story_242004713.html?keyword=secondarystory

Salverio Rocca, a star kicker with the Kangaroos of the Australian Football League, has his sights set on America, and in particular, the Buffalo Bills.

According to the Australian Associated Press, Rocca will play his last game with the Kangaroos this week, then head to the U.S., where he’ll meet with the Bills and possibly one other NFL team.

Rocca hopes to follow in the footsteps of AFL players Darren Bennett and Ben Graham, who became NFL punters.

— Jay Skurski

Wonder if we are the other team.

I don't know anything about him but he must not be worse than Frost. I know next to nothing about Eddie Johnson so I will reserve judgement on him. I don't know why we don't just draft a punter some year since our late round draft picks don't seem to panning out recently (Jared Newberry, Kevin Simon, etc.).

First up, his name is Saverio (no L).

He finishes his AFL career here on Sunday, playing against the team he started with, and the team his younger brother plays for - Collingwood. It's been suggested his try-out with Buffalo will be on Tuesday.

Sav is in his early 30's, but both Ben Graham and Darren Bennett were 30+ when they started in the NFL.

His younger brother has also indicated a desire to seek out a career in the NFL once his AFL days are over, and as both can kick an Aussie Rules ball (bigger and heavier than an NFL ball) 60+ metres off two steps, it will just be a matter of how quick they pick up on the intricacies of the NFL.

Also, both are over 6 feet tall, weigh over 100kgs (240lbs) and know how to tackle.

Lonie is Aussie. Lonie didn't punt well. Not all Aussies punt well. End of story.

Another Aussie that could have had an NFL career was Nathan Chapman. He trained with Green Bay, but knocked back a contract due to visa problems.

Aussies actually do punt well, it's just that they aren't used to the smaller ball that's used in the NFL, and it takes a bit of getting used to having 6-7 players rushing straight at you.

First up, his name is Saverio (no L).

He finishes his AFL career here on Sunday, playing against the team he started with, and the team his younger brother plays for - Collingwood. It's been suggested his try-out with Buffalo will be on Tuesday.

Sav is in his early 30's, but both Ben Graham and Darren Bennett were 30+ when they started in the NFL.

His younger brother has also indicated a desire to seek out a career in the NFL once his AFL days are over, and as both can kick an Aussie Rules ball (bigger and heavier than an NFL ball) 60+ metres off two steps, it will just be a matter of how quick they pick up on the intricacies of the NFL.

Also, both are over 6 feet tall, weigh over 100kgs (240lbs) and know how to tackle.

Another Aussie that could have had an NFL career was Nathan Chapman. He trained with Green Bay, but knocked back a contract due to visa problems.

Aussies actually do punt well, it's just that they aren't used to the smaller ball that's used in the NFL, and it takes a bit of getting used to having 6-7 players rushing straight at you.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, :cheers: They KNOW how to tackle, hell they do it without pads, and given a little coaching they probably could pick up how to kick our smaller footballs. thanks skinnedaussie for giving us the differences of equipment and mindset between AFL and the NFL. :cheers: i have watched it before and have seen these guys are some pretty tough guys with great athleticism. espn used to show AFL here in the states but now would rather show poker and the spelling bee instead :doh: still love the dudes in the white coats coming out after it is kicked and signalling how many points. HTTR

The dudes in the white coats are no more. Even though we still have goal umpires, they are more in line with the field umpires who now wear flouro colored clothing so as to be more visible on the ground.

It's especially funny when the umpires wear the orange uniforms - they look like jaffas!

It would be great to have big Saverio try out with the skins. Rumour is he is flying out to try with the Bills and another undisclosed team. Hopefully its the skins.. Rocca can kick he ball a mile and would no doubt acclimatise to the NFL.He is a longer kick than the Jets Ben Graham and he is a lot bigger than him as well. He has the size of a linebacker and would weigh over 110kg.

Rocca was on the news last week showing his punting style and was kicking the ball 65-70metres. I dont know what yardage that is, but roughly 80-90 yards.. Obviously under game conditions this will be hard to replicate, but would kick better than Frost on his wrong foot. Heck, i reckon i could kick better than Frost.

Archived