Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running Up The Score???

Taylor 36

Okay, first let me say that this is NOT meant to be a thread to talk about how horrible we look so far, or that it is just the preseason.

I have a serious question, though. When Spurrier was here, we, as a team played pretty well in the preseason. We all know how well that panned out for us in the regular season. However, people (media, other teams' fans) made a huge deal about SS running up the score in Preseason. I specificly remember the first preseason game with SS, when we played San Fran in Japan, that Mooch made a big deal about SS running up the score and that he wouldn't forget that when they saw us in the regular season.

Now, it appears to me that all three opponents we have faced this preseason have gone out of their way to try and run up the score. Trick plays (flea-flickers, reversals, etc.) have been used over and over again. I know that many posters here feel that there is a bias against the Redskins, but still, how can SS catch so much flack for supposedly running up the score and not one of these coaches or teams (Cinci, Jets, Pats) get even one medioat to make a single comment on it???

I'm sorry, but I have been wondering about this since about 1:00 in the morning and just needed to get it off my chest.

Yeah the Pats going for it on 4th and goal at the 1 up 34-0 surprised me a little too...

I can see why it pisses people off, but hey, Its preseason, It doesnt matter if they dont make it. It is the perfect time to put his team in these situations to see how they handle it, with zero ramifications.

It doesnt bother me at all, especially in practice games. BB just wanted to let his team run as many plays as possible. If they score, good. If they dont, well, at least they have film to look at :2cents:

I understand that, but doesn't that make a case for a strong double standard??? Why is it okay for other teams and coaches to do this, but not for ours??? SS was coaching his first ever NFL game and was crucified for this. If anyone needed to really take a look at what they had and get their own feet wet, it was him in that situation. BB has won three SB, so why does he get a pass from the media and the NFL world???

I understand that, but doesn't that make a case for a strong double standard??? Why is it okay for other teams and coaches to do this, but not for ours??? SS was coaching his first ever NFL game and was crucified for this. If anyone needed to really take a look at what they had and get their own feet wet, it was him in that situation. BB has won three SB, so why does he get a pass from the media and the NFL world???

I never thought it wrong for SS to do that. The media needs stories.

I dont know why the double standard, and I quit caring. When we hoist the trophy we will send them our copy of our preseason scrimmage. :)

I'll tell you exactly what it is... Coach Gibbs is not a whiner or excuse maker like some other coaches and he would never blame anyone other than himself when he loses a game. He's too classy to call out other coaches tactics, although I do agree it seems like teams really want to kick our arse this pre-season...

Yeah the Pats going for it on 4th and goal at the 1 up 34-0 surprised me a little too...

I don't think BB needs to see if his FG kicker can kick a sub-20 yard FG.

It was a good evaluational opportunity for both coaching staffs. Can his guys stick it in? Can our guys ignore the circumstances and stiffen up? I thought it questionable that he got in, but I bet both the Patriot and Redskin coaches learned something about their players that will help with the cuts coming down soon.

Running out the clock does nothing to help with player evaluation.

This was worse than Gibbs electing to go for it on 4th and 4 in the second quarter at the 12:30 mark? Coaches have a chance in pre-season to take these gambles and see how things pan out. When the games don't count, coaches run these plays. I am sure Gibbs could care less that BB elected to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 yd line to test his back-ups trying to make roster spots.

There was/is a double standard as far as the media is concerned. SS said things about coaches and their practice habits before he had proven himself. The "ole ball coach" found out that coaching it is not an 8 hour a day job nor does success in college equate to success in the NFL. What goes around comes around - perhaps NE was motiviated by their last meeting and LOSS to the Redskins.

Because it was SS. If you followed his career at Florida, he was notorious for running up the score on any team he played. He never showed mercy no matter how small or bad the school was he was facing. He got off on it. It was classless. I'm not talking about running up a score 40-0. I'm talking about 70-0.

Because it was SS. If you followed his career at Florida, he was notorious for running up the score on any team he played. He never showed mercy no matter how small or bad the school was he was facing. He got off on it. It was classless. I'm not talking about running up a score 40-0. I'm talking about 70-0.

Exactly.......and all the talk he did about coaches sleeping in their office and how silly that was........all put together made him a target.

He did screw us up that year.

Blondie

I have no problem with these teams running the score up on us this preseason. Nor did I have an issue with Spurrier running up the score in the preseason. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem with it happening in the regular season or playoffs either.

As a football coach I once knew said to an opposing coach after a 77-7 blowout... "It's YOUR job to stop my offense, not mine." I agree. If the Redskins don't want teams running the score up on them, it's their job to stop the opposing offense.

Archived