Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Joe Gibbs ties to the Falcons help this trade?

FunBunch7

Before coming back to the Redskins, Joe Gibbs had to give up his ownership interest in the Falcons as we all know. I wonder if that relationship helped facilitate this trade.

I'm not sure how "close" he was to the organization other than being a "percentage" owner.

Does anyone have any more insight into this relationship that might have helped or do you think the deal would have gotten done anyways? I said in an earlier post that "IF" the Redskins wanted Ducket, they WOULD get him. I feel like that with ANY player that the team REALLY wants but it is nice having a bit more in the arsenal.

Other than the Jets being our Triple A farm team, I like our ability to get trades done. lol

FROM ESPN INSIDER:

First, the Falcons lost wide receiver Brian Finneran for the season, leaving them without a third receiver. Coach Jim Mora told front-office officials over the weekend that he wanted a third receiver and wanted one soon. The Falcons for weeks had been shopping running back T.J. Duckett, and the Redskins became interested after Clinton Portis dislocated his shoulder. Though Portis is supposed to be ready for the start of the regular season, the Redskins picked up Duckett as insurance. The Redskins gave up the equivalent of a high third-round choice in order to get Duckett, who will be involved in the offense as a big back.

For what it's worth...

Before coming back to the Redskins, Joe Gibbs had to give up his ownership interest in the Falcons as we all know. I wonder if that relationship helped facilitate this trade.

I'm not sure how "close" he was to the organization other than being a "percentage" owner.

Does anyone have any more insight into this relationship that might have helped or do you think the deal would have gotten done anyways? I said in an earlier post that "IF" the Redskins wanted Ducket, they WOULD get him. I feel like that with ANY player that the team REALLY wants but it is nice having a bit more in the arsenal.

Other than the Jets being our Triple A farm team, I like our ability to get trades done. lol

It's easy to get trades done when you give away the farm.

Now I can stop being afraid of "1st and goal" and worrying about how the Redskins would be able to score by running the ball

Duckett is 6'0" and 254 lbs. That is what we need for a 1st and goal on about the 3 to 6 yard lines

It's easy to get trades done when you give away the farm.

Yawn.

Nobody's given away the farm. The Skins have proactively addressed an area they've identified as needing insurance given the reality of injury, and based on their value charts and needs, brought in a player with tremendous upside to fill a very specific need. To sit here in August, knowing NOTHING about how this will all play out, and flatly state they've grossly overpaid for his services is meaningless.

Come December, when the team's neck-deep in a playoff race and Duckett has become a key component in that run, please be sure to come back revisit with us whether or not they "gave away the farm."

Joe Gibbs got his career going at a young age working under John McKay at USC. He has known Rich McKay (Atlanta's GM) literally since he was a kid. I've even heard him speak very fondly of him - don't remember where - maybe one of his books or something

Not to mention he also has a good relationship with Arthur Blank resulting in Home Depot sponsoring one of his race cars.

I'm sure they are probably a comfortable team for Joe to do business with.

Yawn.

Nobody's given away the farm. The Skins have proactively addressed an area they've identified as needing insurance given the reality of injury, and based on their value charts and needs, brought in a player with tremendous upside to fill a very specific need. To sit here in August, knowing NOTHING about how this will all play out, and flatly state they've grossly overpaid for his services is meaningless.

Come December, when the team's neck-deep in a playoff race and Duckett has become a key component in that run, please be sure to come back revisit with us whether or not they "gave away the farm."

:applause: as usual, Om :)

Yawn.

great post!!!

Without a shaddow of a doubt.. I'm sure Gibbs ties to the falcons influenced this trade. There were other good backs out there to get or trade for ( Barlow, Jones, Davis) But I wouldn't put the decision soley on Gibbs. I think the scouting department and Saunders had a big hand in this decision as well.

Yawn.

weo, chiki weo weo!

Hey, kids. Remember when we played Seattle in the playoffs and CP was banged-up and Betts was not much help. You are going to thank Mr. Gibbs and staff for big-guy Duckett taking a few carries away from CP. We will all be fresh in Janruary.

if the Redskins had actually used a #3 pick on TJ Duckett as a runner in 2006 with his size and height people would be saying that we got a steal :laugh:

let's face it, the Redskins got the best running back available at a time in which there was uncertainty at that spot on the team due to the injury to Portis.

yes, I would rather have LaDainian Tomlinson but he wasn't available :D

Archived