Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules for Madden Gamers

skinfan2k

First off thanks for the responses and the help to stop the QB sneak.

It is just a game but I feel it's important to play just as a real game would play.

Saying anything beyond the 50 or even 40 just seems childish to me (I'm 45)

I can see exceptions like being down by at least 8 (After the Half)

4th and Goal (Any Quarter)

Hello,

Would anyone care to settle an argument between me and my brother-in-law?

He says it's "Ok" to go for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and inches if he is on his side of the field regardless of the game situation.

Example:

Half way through the 1st quarter today he went for it on 4th and inches from his own 37 (QB Sneak)

Score was 0-0

I say he is "Wrong" and that every NFL Head Coach would have punted it and tried to pin them Deep.

Of course he gets the 1st down and swears every NFL Head Coach would have done that.

He is wrong to do that, IMO. It's one thing if you're between the 50 and opponent 40, just out of FG range. But going for it on 4th and anything early in the game from your own 37 is stupid, and no coach does that.

How is it lame to do that in a "video" game? If you are good enough to stop the other guy, then you're basically already in FG range. The same goes for real football. You WANT the other head coach to go for it on 4th and 1 in the first quarter in their own territory! "Lame", to me, is when you are a very good Madden player and playing against someone that never plays Madden, yet you use the "known" best team/players to humiliate the other player. Yeah, that once happened to me.

To understand why I called it lame you'd have to have a good grasp of some of the faults and shortcomings of the game's implementation in addition to the widely held sense of etiquette most people who play the game hold. Let me put it this way...

Imagine that the guy who is a very good Madden player selects one of the worst teams and you, the Madden novice, select whatever team you please. On defense he comes out and stacks the box on every single play but 10 of his guys drop back into coverage. That leaves you counting on your five offensive linemen to block one guy while you wait for a passing lane to open up. You get sacked in less than 5 seconds. Only one of your linemen even attempted to block the pass-rusher and he got beat badly in his one-on-one battle, nothing opened up down the field whatsoever. You decide to try and run the ball the next play but find that even with 10 guys dropping back there's no running room because those 10 guys all start close to the LOS. You decide to run a play-action next but the play takes so long to develop that you get sacked whether or not the defense bites. You're forced to start passing it again and you wind up throwing 7 picks while he puts up 56 points, mostly off of your turnovers. Does that sound fair? What if I told you that tactic can be unusually effective against seasoned Madden veterans?

Enter: You're right, that does sound like the game is poorly implemented. There are serious flaws with the game if those kind of things actually take place. However, at the end of the day, it's still just a video game. It would seem to me that you could go for anytime you wanted (just like real football). Granted, in real football you don't usually find many coaches going for it on their side of the field, but there are a few. Paul Johnson did it a LOT the season before last. This past season, he still did it more than most. And I've seen Belichick do that sort of thing several times over the years. Like I said, I don't play Madden very much at all. Never have. Video games are a distant memory to me (I'm a little older than you). So I'm not up to speed on how the etiquette is or whatnot. But tell me this, in those Madden tournaments, where the best of the best play, do those guys usually go for it on 4th and 1 on their own 37?

Archived