Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the Over/Under on TD's by Randle El?

skinsfan93

I know that there are more than a few fans (and enemies) that wondered why we signed ARE to such a big contract, especially given that fact that we traded for Lloyd and also that ARE will be the number 3 wideout. I for one loved the signing. He may not catch more than 50 balls this year because we have so many weapons but he has so many other intangibles.

Reading through the training camp posts, people are talking about the trick plays that ARE will be involved with. Well, duh? That's what he did in Pittsburgh. He caught the ball, passed the ball, ran the ball, took direct snaps from center and even returned kicks. The guy wasn't signed to just be a prototypical wideout. He adds so much more and Gibbs will find a way to have him involved in a lot of important plays.

So the question is....how many TD's will ARE be involved in during the regular season? This includes receiving, passing, running, and returns.

My predicition: 4 receiving, 3 passing, 3 running, and 1 returning. 11 TOTAL

Your prediction?

HTTR

I know that there are more than a few fans (and enemies) that wondered why we signed ARE to such a big contract, especially given that fact that we traded for Lloyd and also that ARE will be the number 3 wideout. I for one loved the signing. He may not catch more than 50 balls this year because we have so many weapons but he has so many other intangibles.

Reading through the training camp posts, people are talking about the trick plays that ARE will be involved with. Well, duh? That's what he did in Pittsburgh. He caught the ball, passed the ball, ran the ball, took direct snaps from center and even returned kicks. The guy wasn't signed to just be a prototypical wideout. He adds so much more and Gibbs will find a way to have him involved in a lot of important plays.

So the question is....how many TD's will ARE be involved in during the regular season? This includes receiving, passing, running, and returns.

My predicition: 4 receiving, 3 passing, 3 running, and 1 returning. 11 TOTAL

Your prediction?

HTTR

That prediction should be moved on the going out on a limb section. THe guy has never had a rushing TD. He has 7 receiving in his career, passed 2 and only 5 returns. Thats in years. So to think that he will match his career totals in one season is really stretching it. I think he is there as a threat for a reverse and trick play so its forcing the opposing defense to really focus on him. Hes not here to score TD's. thats what portis, cooley, moss, and sellers are for!!:helmet:

If El only returns punts and not KO's he may have a hard time scoring. A Danny Smith coached special teams hasn't scored a TD on a punt in the last 4 years.

Ahhh, the new opponents' mantra. I guess we have moved on from the lack of offensive line depth. You guys kill me. :laugh:

If El only returns punts and not KO's he may have a hard time scoring. A Danny Smith coached special teams hasn't scored a TD on a punt in the last 4 years.

And, as I stated in the last thread you wasted your time with in typing that, Danny Smith had the amazing Charlie Rogers, Nate Clements, James Thrash and Antonio Brown returning punts for him in those years. And, as I already said before, everyone knows that coaching and schemes mean less in a punt return team than a punt returner's natural skills. Numbers often have too much importance put on them. What's more important is understanding the game that's actually played on the field, which unfortunately most guys like KC Joyner and other stat hogs forget in their lab reports.

(I'm not talking about you Pocono)

Ahhh, the new opponents' mantra. I guess we have moved on from the lack of offensive line depth. You guys kill me. :laugh:

I guess that's your version of attack the messenger instead of the message but here are the rankings of the Bills and the Skins pre and post Danny Smith.

Bills 30th

Skins 11th

Bills 31st

Skins 15th

04- Smith goes from Bills to Skins

Skins 20th

Bills 5th

Skins 28th

Bills 5th

In those 4 years no PR TD's by a Smith coached team. The year after Smith left Buf they had two punts returned for TDs. If you expect El to return punts for TD's as often as he did with the Steelers you may be disappointed like you were if you expected Portis to average the same 5.6 yds per rush he did in Denver when he came to the Skins. Just like Portis El will still be a very good player but coaching and system do make a difference and D Smith's PR results speak for themselves.

In those 4 years no PR TD's by a Smith coached team. The year after Smith left Buf they had two punts returned for TDs. If you expect El to return punts for TD's as often as he did with the Steelers you may be disappointed like you were if you expected Portis to average the same 5.6 yds per rush he did in Denver when he came to the Skins. Just like Portis El will still be a very good player but coaching and system do make a difference and D Smith's PR results speak for themselves.

Interesting stats, but weren't we one of the best kick coverage units also? And wasn't Morton hurt for most of 04?

I guess that's your version of attack the messenger instead of the message but here are the rankings of the Bills and the Skins pre and post Danny Smith.

Bills 30th

Skins 11th

Bills 31st

Skins 15th

04- Smith goes from Bills to Skins

Skins 20th

Bills 5th

Skins 28th

Bills 5th

I noticed you cherry picked your stats. The year before Danny Smith got here the Skins were in fact #15 in return average. What you fail to note is that the team returned a total of 22 friggin punts the entire year. I don't have the stats but on average a team punts about 80 times or more in a year, meaning that approximately 60 punts weren't returned. In Danny Smith's first year the team returned 43 punts for a 7.9 average, meaning an extra 124 yards in punt returns that year. Last year it dropped back down to 30 as we watched Antonio Brown run sideline to sideline really fast when he wasn't fumbling. The signing of Randle El makes it pretty clear where the coaching staff thinks the problem was.

I would also like to note that the punters net average the year before Danny Smith got here was 35.5. In 2004 it was 37.1 and last year 38.1.

Archived