Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lloyd Stat sheet

illone

It's really hard to apply sabermetrics-like stats to football. There are just way way too many intangibles.

Pass caught % is usefull. But it's probably more useful within a team since the QB is such an important variable in the calculation.

I'm not sure you can really apply these types of stats to individual players; I don't think you can apply them to teams' however. That's where they are more educational.

Pass caught % is usefull. But it's probably more useful within a team since the QB is such an important variable in the calculation.

The whole reason the topic came up is because I was arguing with some stupid Cowboy fan on another forum. He insists Lloyd is a garbage receiver simply because his pass caught % is low. I've been trying to show him that there is more to the equation.

"Drops" is not a meaningless stat... In Brandon Lloydd's case, many have been critical of his hands and their assertions are groundless. He catches balls that are thrown well and if you put a QB other than Alex Smith in there, I bet his catch totals go up and maybe even his drops as more balls are borderline catchable. Certainly, his numbers should go up. Compare his numbers when Alex Smith was in there to his numbers when Rattay was throwing to him... He was pro-bowl material when Rattay was in there.

The whole reason the topic came up is because I was arguing with some stupid Cowboy fan on another forum. He insists Lloyd is a garbage receiver simply because his pass caught % is low. I've been trying to show him that there is more to the equation.

What are the numbers for the rest of the 49ers receivers. That will tell you a lot.

Here is what that website says:

Brandon Lloydd was targetted 104 times, dropped 4 balls and caught 44% of the balls targetted to him.

Arnaz Battle was targetted 54 times, dropped 2 balls and caught 59% of the balls thrown to him.

Johnnie Morton was targetted 44 times, dropped 3 balls and caught 47.7% of the balls thrown to him.

Interesting note: I went back to Johnnie Morton's 2004 season with Trent Green and he was targetted 79 times, dropped 3 balls and caught 69%.

Anyway, defenses were definitely keying on Lloydd last year after his first 3 weeks with Rattay throwing to him.

Skin's fans better hope there's nothing to these stats or that Cedrick Wilson is a real good WR. In 04 at SF Wilson caught 55% compared to Lloyd's 48% and in 05 he and El both were around 50% with the Steelers. Both those guys got over 10M guaranteed from the Skins and Wilson is working for peanuts in Pitts.

Archived