Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biker hits deer

JMac

Years ago... as in high school.... I hit what would turn out to be the 13th largest Buck killed in the state that year with my 10th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am. Couldn't drive away from the killing... but a new fender and new paint and on I went... terrorizing the women of Lynchburg VA.

Who needs guns....ammo....or chamoflauge?

All you need is this!

minefront.jpg

Yeah..sweet ride that a 16-year old had no business owning or driving at that point in his life. I proceeded to wreck it four times.... once really bad..... and otherwise drove it way to fast for my own good. 403 cubic inch, 6.6 liter V8 with a few modifications that had it from 0-60 in less than six seconds. All my friends had sports cars, porches...corvettes...oldsmobile cutlass Sxs.... and we raced each other around the neigborhoods at night with our lights off. I'm lucky to be alive.....thankful for not having killed myself, my friends, or an innocent bystander back then.

I can honestly say... only think I ever killed with that car was that deer.... and it never had a chance..... :laugh:...especially when I had the car at "ramming speed".

That was unbelievable! I had no idea that the deer would explode like that! And the guy was able to maintain control with barely a swerve....wow :rubeyes:

Those were parts of the bikes fairing falling off, not parts of the deer.

I know two people who have hit a deer on a bike. My friend Sean hit a large deer while doing about 70mph. He remembers seeing something come from the side, and then waking up in the hospital 3 days later.

My Triumph rep Kenny hit one last year. Don't know how fast he was moving, but the bike was totaled. He got up and walked away. His riding gear did it's job.

I posted this in another thread, but it's more in context here.

I'm the only person I've ever heard of to hit a deer on the road doing almost 70, and have me not be hurt, my car remain undamaged, and the deer survive.

About 1:00 am I was cruising at 70 in Washington, southbound on I-5 just south of Olympia. Suddenly, a couple hundred feet in front of me going left to right was a multi-point buck. It startled the **** out of me, and I jerked the wheel to the left -- not a good thing to do at 70. My car turned about 45 degrees to the left but kept going straight. I whipped the wheel to the right to stop the spin, ("THUMP!"), and then it swung around to the right and I whipped the wheel to the left. That happened a couple of times before I spun out into the median. Fortunately for me, there was almost no traffic and no fence in the median. A couple of semis pulled over, one behind me and one coming the other way, to check on me. One of them asked if I fell asleep, and I said "no, I hit a deer." We looked around the car, no damage. When I looked back toward the deer, he was laying on his side next to the guardrail on the far right side of the road, head up and looking around like "what happened? what happened?" When I looked back over at him again, I just saw his butt as he was hopping over the guardrail.

I'd hit the deer with my right rear quarter while I was moving down the road at an angle, and just obliqued him across the highway. Lucky me, and lucky him!

I waited a while to let my adrenaline settle down, then got back on the road. Since then, I've seen numerous deer on and alongside the road, but I've always had enough respect for them and the damage they can cause to slow down and give them plenty of room. I've had to literally stop on the freeway a few times in Oregon and in Texas to let some deer families cross. As long as nobody hits me from behind, I'm ok with that, and just enjoy the show.

Those were parts of the bikes fairing falling off, not parts of the deer.

I know two people who have hit a deer on a bike. My friend Sean hit a large deer while doing about 70mph. He remembers seeing something come from the side, and then waking up in the hospital 3 days later.

My Triumph rep Kenny hit one last year. Don't know how fast he was moving, but the bike was totaled. He got up and walked away. His riding gear did it's job.

I guess that makes more sense... :laugh: but it sure did look like the deer. I don't know anything about motorcycles to know how this would have turned out.

I have however had my own encounter. I was driving from DC to Chicago and it was about midnight and snowing and I was about 30 miles ouside of South Bend. I was going about 80 and a deer came out of nowhere and I tried not to swerve but the reaction was inevitable. I some how avoided it and maintained control of the car, but was freaked out. :doh:

Archived