Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Sean Taylor will be the key to our defense

congo4269

Seems like a stupid topic since we all know how good he is, but don't lambaste me yet...

I have a gut feeling that this is going to be a career year for ST. With our much-improved corners corps (Look for Carlos to be that much better this year, and Kenny Wright to be a steller nickel back) and AA (Anti-Aircraft.... think about it) laying the hurt on the running game/underneath receivers, he is going to be freed up to be a playmaker in the true sense of the word.

He will be more free to roam the secondary going off his instincts, as a true safety should. Of course he will have responsibilities/assignments in GWs defense, but with shutdown corners I think he will have more opportunitites to just read the QB and jump pass routes... which means more INTs and the turnover factor we lacked during most of last year. Look for him to be more of a rogue agent than an assignment player, which I feel suits his talents better.

On the flip side, he will also be freed-up to harass the backfield. It may just be me, but didn't it seem like he blitzed more in his rookie year than last year (can anyone produce stats on that)? Last year, he had to take on a greater coverage role due to the Springs' injury and our lack of depth at corner. I see GW using him as a QB-seeking missile more this year.

Some of you may think I'm off my rocker, but with all the pieces in place, look for him to emerge as the league's most elite safety this year. Does anyone disagree with my assesment?

If Shawn stays healthy, Carlos improves like we all hope, Arch is an improvement over Ryan, and Carter improves the pass rush, then I have to think that Sean will have a pro-bowl type year.

Yikes!! That's a lot of f'in "if's" for ST to have a pro-bowl season.

Yeah, I would say something more like...

"If Shawn stays healthy, Carlos improves like we all hope, Arch is an improvement over Ryan, and Carter improves the pass rush, then I have to think that Sean will have a DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR type year."

He already is a Pro Bowl quality player, if all those things happen he could become one of the truly elite defnsive players, period.

We all know the impact that ST has on our D. He is one of the only players that completely controls the tempo and attitude of our defense. When he is on the field, everyone hits harder, runs faster, and swarms to the ball better. He makes everyone around him better. The other great aspect of ST is that teams are going to have to start if they already haven't, gameplanning against him which will free up our secondary and allow AA, Springs, Carlos et al. to make more plays.

That being said, I think he has already had a pro bowl season last year. His rookie season was also excellent. We should expect more improvement from him this year regardless of our aquisitions and development of other players. However, given the circumstances of who will play alongside him this coming year, and the experience gained by Carlos, I believe ST will have a season to remember.

Good points about how Taylor is key to the Defense. I hope he is able to produce even more turnovers and big plays ala Ed Reed. That is how he will finally get his well deserved pro bowl spot over the overrated Roy Williams. Polamalu, Reed, and Dawkins are all great safeties but no Safety has Taylor's combo of size, speed, skills, and power.

When ST is out of the game, the Skins defense is a much different unit (see Tampa Bay #1 last year).

If the secondary can stay healthy, ST will have a monster year and the D should be in the top three or four in the league.

Yeah, as a matter of fact one of the commentators pointed out during the wild card that Seans ability to cover and recover so much ground is just is extraordinary. I think it was a comment on a seam route Shepard that worked in the first game but it just wasn't there during the wild card. Speaking of safety play yeah Ryans still on my I do like list. professional critics have stated that Archy is an up grade.

I can recall during the Seattle game at Seattle they ran play action inside our 20 and Sean had to knock the ball down replay showed Ryan biting....just a play and nothing against Ryan everybody bites. But they saw it up stairs and came back to it inthe 2d half but from a little further out and this time it was 6. I forget receivers name but it was the same play from a little further out. So yeah Sean will make big difference and most importantly those around him like don't forget about Prieleau and Wright will be rotating the nickle...don't know if Wright is a natural corner but I know Prieleau can play it.

So Sean will be roaming and I would still put Reed first right now. But Reed in his 2d year was not better than Sean is in his 2d yr. Sean is actually in his 3d. But I remeber Reed was on punt return and he blazed down the field circled and knocked the snot ,literally, out of someone. Yes they highlighted it as a you got jacked.

But anyway Reed smoked him and then said ,literally, "whats up Boi." Don't know all the behind the scene activity and what goes into extensions and renegotiations only Vinny truely does. But we need to start looking at promotions and pay raises for Sean or he may not be here much longer. He should match the same or more of what Reed was guaranteed and that's like 15 mil guaranteed per year...and a bonus on top of it. Oh yeah he demands that kind of attention.

You heard what Jon Gruden said about Sean during pre-game of the wild card. Oh he said Sean was a straight beast and will make a difference he also talked about Griffin. But he said he was a straight playmaker, well you know Coaches Grudens defence ? Kiffin one of the best in the business as a matter of fact I think he's neck and neck with GW and there's also a Smith up in Chicago that can smoke offences.

Also Sean doesn't have any injurys either not significant like knees and broken leggs. So next year will be a contract yr. for Sean we've better start looking. Also he's GWs adopted son. Yes heard him say it and no he doesn't say that about everybody. But yeah good thread. All things considered Sean is the best money can buy. Yes that includes Polamalu out at Pittsburgh and he's not even close. Yes I thought about Sharper and no not even close. Will see Sharper on opening day, too.

I agree with a lot of the opnions but i also think that as mentioned a dozen times; his mind is on nothing but football now which is good for him and the organization. With all of his focus now on helping the defense reach top form this should be a banner year for him. I think he's already performed at pro bowl level but i guess starting this year he'llfinally get recognized.

No, plain and simple. Defenses start with the D-line stopping the run, applying pressure and opening holes for the LB's and stunted blitzers.

CB's and DB's all feed off the havoc that the D-line provides to make plays.

As talented and gifted as Sean Taylor is, Marcus Washington, Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin are bigger cornerstones of this defense than Taylor is. I'm not discounting his efforts in the least here but remember that a great D-line will make average CB's/DB's good, not the other way around.

There are a lot of 'ifs', but there are all very likely to happen.

Sean should have been in the pro bowl last year, no question. But I just think voters need to see INTs on the stat sheet to appreciate DBs. See Darren Sharper last season. ST is 3 times the player, but didn't record the INTs.

No, plain and simple. Defenses start with the D-line stopping the run, applying pressure and opening holes for the LB's and stunted blitzers.

CB's and DB's all feed off the havoc that the D-line provides to make plays.

As talented and gifted as Sean Taylor is, Marcus Washington, Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin are bigger cornerstones of this defense than Taylor is. I'm not discounting his efforts in the least here but remember that a great D-line will make average CB's/DB's good, not the other way around.

True True.:applause:

I agree that everything is in place for Sean to have a stellar year. But I'd have to disagree with putting Sean in the box or having him play the run more aggressively. I seriously believe that if GW is going to send a safety on a blitz, it'll be Archuleta. I'd rather have Sean covering deep and Arch blitzing than the other way around. Plus, AA has proven he's great at playing the run and blitzing, but hasn't proven his coverage ability.

Sure GW might send Sean in once in a while to mix it up, but not often at all. More INT's and passes defensed for Sean this year, but not any more sacks.

I agree that everything is in place for Sean to have a stellar year. But I'd have to disagree with putting Sean in the box or having him play the run more aggressively. I seriously believe that if GW is going to send a safety on a blitz, it'll be Archuleta. I'd rather have Sean covering deep and Arch blitzing than the other way around. Plus, AA has proven he's great at playing the run and blitzing, but hasn't proven his coverage ability.

Sure GW might send Sean in once in a while to mix it up, but not often at all. More INT's and passes defensed for Sean this year, but not any more sacks.

Sending ST in on a blitz in a running situation is key. I agree that ST should be playing center field in passing situations; however, sending him behind or beside one of the line backers to overload the strong side in obvious running situations will also cause havoc and lead to turnovers.

With our much-improved corners corps (Look for Carlos to be that much better this year, and Kenny Wright to be a steller nickel back) and AA (Anti-Aircraft.... think about it) laying the hurt on the running game/underneath receivers, he is going to be freed up to be a playmaker in the true sense of the word.

He will be more free to roam the secondary going off his instincts, as a true safety should. Of course he will have responsibilities/assignments in GWs defense, but with shutdown corners I think he will have more opportunitites to just read the QB and jump pass routes... which means more INTs and the turnover factor we lacked during most of last year. Look for him to be more of a rogue agent than an assignment player, which I feel suits his talents better.

Sorry, but I disagree with you on this topic. Didn't we just get rid of a popular player who was an athletic beast that freelanced? "Rogue agents" do NOT sit well with Williams.

ST will play within the system...he will not jump pass routes unless directed to, & he will not roam the secondary looking for a place to go--he will go to the area of the field that is his assignment. and ST will do that, or Gregg Williams will sit his Tarantula hind parts down & let Prileaou play until he gets the message. That's the only way to play D with this staff.

Yeah, as a matter of fact one of the commentators pointed out during the wild card that Seans ability to cover and recover so much ground is just is extraordinary. I think it was a comment on a seam route Shepard that worked in the first game but it just wasn't there during the wild card. Speaking of safety play yeah Ryans still on my I do like list. professional critics have stated that Archy is an up grade.

I can recall during the Seattle game at Seattle they ran play action inside our 20 and Sean had to knock the ball down replay showed Ryan biting....just a play and nothing against Ryan everybody bites. But they saw it up stairs and came back to it inthe 2d half but from a little further out and this time it was 6. I forget receivers name but it was the same play from a little further out. So yeah Sean will make big difference and most importantly those around him like don't forget about Prieleau and Wright will be rotating the nickle...don't know if Wright is a natural corner but I know Prieleau can play it.

So Sean will be roaming and I would still put Reed first right now. But Reed in his 2d year was not better than Sean is in his 2d yr. Sean is actually in his 3d. But I remeber Reed was on punt return and he blazed down the field circled and knocked the snot ,literally, out of someone. Yes they highlighted it as a you got jacked.

But anyway Reed smoked him and then said ,literally, "whats up Boi." Don't know all the behind the scene activity and what goes into extensions and renegotiations only Vinny truely does. But we need to start looking at promotions and pay raises for Sean or he may not be here much longer. He should match the same or more of what Reed was guaranteed and that's like 15 mil guaranteed per year...and a bonus on top of it. Oh yeah he demands that kind of attention.

You heard what Jon Gruden said about Sean during pre-game of the wild card. Oh he said Sean was a straight beast and will make a difference he also talked about Griffin. But he said he was a straight playmaker, well you know Coaches Grudens defence ? Kiffin one of the best in the business as a matter of fact I think he's neck and neck with GW and there's also a Smith up in Chicago that can smoke offences.

Also Sean doesn't have any injurys either not significant like knees and broken leggs. So next year will be a contract yr. for Sean we've better start looking. Also he's GWs adopted son. Yes heard him say it and no he doesn't say that about everybody. But yeah good thread. All things considered Sean is the best money can buy. Yes that includes Polamalu out at Pittsburgh and he's not even close. Yes I thought about Sharper and no not even close. Will see Sharper on opening day, too.

that was the most random, disjointed post I've ever read on here.

:(
I agree wholeheartedly.

If you honestly think that Carlos or Shawn are shutdown corners... just give up. They are great corners, and I'm glad we have them, but to compare them to the likes of Deion Sanders is one of the most ill-fated arguments one could make.

Good points about how Taylor is key to the Defense. I hope he is able to produce even more turnovers and big plays ala Ed Reed. That is how he will finally get his well deserved pro bowl spot over the overrated Roy Williams. Polamalu, Reed, and Dawkins are all great safeties but no Safety has Taylor's combo of size, speed, skills, and power.

There definitely isnt a safety in the league with more potential and talent than Taylor.

Archived