Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yeah, I enjoy the ESPY Awards since it's about athletes, rather than Hollywood holding awards to give themselves a pat on the back for the same movie or show that year for the millionth time. My thoughts:

Lance Armstrong is always my boy regardless of how he did, but I thought he did a great job, especially with the comedy bits. The part where Will Ferrell came up and sang during his Male Athlete of the Year reception was maybe the best part of the entire show.

Also cool to see that kid win the award for Best Moment, I have no idea why Kobe Bryant was nominated in that category along with Cinderella George Mason, an autistic kid dominating a basketball game, and a girl playing golf for her terminally ill mother. What Kobe did was cool and all, but really, it just didn't belong near those other nominees in terms of sentiment; he had a really great game, but everyone else had life-changing events.

Also cool to see that kid win the award for Best Moment, I have no idea why Kobe Bryant was nominated in that category along with Cinderella George Mason, an autistic kid dominating a basketball game, and a girl playing golf for her terminally ill mother. What Kobe did was cool and all, but really, it just didn't belong near those other nominees in terms of sentiment; he had a really great game, but everyone else had life-changing events.

Eh...I agree and disagree...

The theme between the other nominees was definitely far off from Kobe's game, but there's one reason I'd put it there... respect. 81 points from one player in a game is not something that happens all the time like perhaps a 200 yard rushing or recieving game in the NFL. Its just something you've got to respect. I can't even think of the NFL equivalent... Maybe 300 yards rushing and 4 TDs from one RB? I have no idea. Either way... It may not have some real bittersweet story to it because Kobe has established himself as a top player in the NBA, but it was definitely a moment to give respect to.

(That said, the Under Armour 'Undeniable Performance' award did show such respect, but a sponsored award just isn't the same as an Espy, IMO)

I don't think that the espy's are all that great. Quite honestly, I don't believe that the espy's something that they should promote for the sports. It is just another way for espn to promote something that is overall meaningless. I believe the best thing that they do that is selfless is the Jimmy V foundation.

Archived