Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLDraftBlitz.com - The Well Traveled War Path

JimmiJo

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/index.php?c=2&a=854

The Well Traveled War Path

Posted on Jul 08, 2006 by Ken Leibee

Redskins columnist Brian Elliott looks at the team's plans for 2006.

The best laid plans often lead to disaster. The Washington Redskins are all too familiar with this cold reality. It seems as though every year brings a new hope to fans, and 2006 seems no different. Or does it? While the blueprint may seem similar to the approach taken in recent years, the cast of characters is what makes this year's production stand out.

Flash back to the summer of 2000. Excitement was at an all-time high at Redskin Park, and the entire D.C. area for that matter. The Redskins had just drafted offensive tackle Chris Samuels and linebacker Lavar Arrington, both of whom would go on to play in the Pro-Bowl. The always brash Daniel Snyder went on a spending spree that netted free agent superstars like Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier and Adrian Murrell. Then, just to rub it in the collective faces of the other owners, Snyder went all-in on an aging Deion Sanders. To all of this, add the fact that the Redskins had just a season before played (and won) their first post-season game at FedEx Field, and it seemed as though nothing could stop this team from achieving greatness. Nothing, that is, except for a coaching staff that, until 2004 was about as stable as most middle-eastern governments. From 2000 to 2004, a different defensive coordinator was in place each season. As far as the players, well, let's just say that to call them under-achievers would be too great a compliment.

Now, just as training camp is set to begin at the end of this month, recently signed marquis free agents and coaches will arrive at Redskins Park. With the Redskins' playoff victory over the Buccaneers last season, this year resembles 2000 more and more everyday. But there�s something different about the personnel the Redskins added this year that makes them standout from the "Prime Time" era. Instead of going after the giant superstars with huge egos (i.e. Terrell Owens), the Redskins chose to address needs this off-season. It's kind of a novel idea for Snyder, but maybe he�s learned from his mistakes.

Click on link for full article...

In an interview on NFL Network Total Access, Portis told hosts Terrell Davis and Derrin Horton that the coaching staff created Brunell's injury after he came to them and said that he was contemplating retirement. Portis further speculated that the coaching staff did not want second year backup quarterback Jason Campbell to be prematurely forced into the spotlight, so they claimed Brunell was injured while he decided on his future.

Huh??

Where did this BS come from?

"Former 49er Andre Carter takes over for Arrington at linebacker, but will likely serve as an extra defensive lineman of sorts, which is exactly what Arrington refused to do. The rest of the defense remains mostly intact, thanks in part to the Florida judicial system, which allowed safety Sean Taylor to plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid jail time for an incident in which Taylor allegedly pointed a gun at an individual he believed had wronged him."

This whole part is my favorite.:rolleyes:

Huh??

Where did this BS come from?

I think he's making this up or just taking a little sound bite of the interview that Portis did and running with it. There is NO way Portis would let something like that slip on NFL Network...totally made up in my opinion.

Overall, I thought this article was waste of a read. This material has been said and resaid, hashed and rehashed, for the past 2 months on Extremeskins...absolutely nothing new here. (I'm not including the part from the Portis interview because I truly believe it is made up)

:snore: :snore: :snore:

"Former 49er Andre Carter takes over for Arrington at linebacker, but will likely serve as an extra defensive lineman of sorts, which is exactly what Arrington refused to do. The rest of the defense remains mostly intact, thanks in part to the Florida judicial system, which allowed safety Sean Taylor to plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid jail time for an incident in which Taylor allegedly pointed a gun at an individual he believed had wronged him."

This whole part is my favorite.:rolleyes:

:laugh: Yeah, because they brought Andre Carter in to be an extra!

I think he's making this up or just taking a little sound bite of the interview that Portis did and running with it. There is NO way Portis would let something like that slip on NFL Network...totally made up in my opinion.

Overall, I thought this article was waste of a read. This material has been said and resaid, hashed and rehashed, for the past 2 months on Extremeskins...absolutely nothing new here. (I'm not including the part from the Portis interview because I truly believe it is made up)

:snore: :snore: :snore:

No, Portis actually did say that in the interview.

Good article, except he spelled "Gregg" wrong and said Andre Carter would be replacing Arrington at WOLB.

EDIT: The author apparently made many other such errors. However, I like the article. I like his writing style, and he all but said we would make the playoffs.

Archived