Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DirecTv Deals...for existing customers

Kosher Ham

Found out about it here, and was very skeptical until I called.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57512

I got a great deal about 600-700 bucks worth of discounts and equipment upgrades.

I simply called and told them my buddy told me that they were having some great deals for existing customers, and we went from there. I had to lead the lady on one of the items I got but she ended up making a solid compromise.

This is just the first 3 posts :

Jaxonsdaddd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to let you guys know that if you want to get in on some good stuff from Directv nows the chance to do it...

I saw this link on KFFL

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173978

I called Directv today and just mentioned that I got an awesome deal from Dish Network and didnt want to leave Directv and the offers came puoring in

Got Superfan $99 value free with the Sunday Ticket.

Got 6 months free of Showtime and Starz

Got free new DVR that is going to be installed tomorrow at no cost at all

Also got my monthly billed reduced from $64.98 to $56.48 for the next 12 months.

If you call the main customer service line you wont get anywhere. Call the customer retention line at 1-800-824-9081

azcowboy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the superfan thing for free this year, they said i had it last year too and i didnt even know it or pay for it. Plus i got the HD box for free. My dad called them and didnt get any of that, i told him to call back and lean on them a lil and now he got that stuff for free also. Get in while the gettin is good i guess!!

Jaxonsdaddd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other thing they did for me that was kind of cool is they extended my Sunday ticket from the normal 4 months out to 7 months at $29.85 a month

This is not unusual. Companies like this (cell phone companies are another) know that it costs hundreds of dollars to attract a new customer, so they offer discounts to keep existing customers happy, especially if they are out of contract. Usually, the best deals come from retentions (because they want to "retain" you), and that's also why some people have to threaten to cancel or make vague references to better deals offered by other companies- sometime they won't give you a discount unless they're afraid you'll leave.

Here's another example: Many people have gotten $20 off for six months for switching to Total Choice Premier, or even $10 off the regular Total Choice package. There's a thread that's been running about this on the Tivo Community forums since 2002.

I've never tried it, personally, largely because I don't want to lie and I love DirecTV and have no intention of switching. Lately, though, I have been considering just calling and telling them I've been a customer for years and years, and asking for a discount. Sometimes that works, too, I've heard.

This is not unusual. Companies like this (cell phone companies are another) know that it costs hundreds of dollars to attract a new customer, so they offer discounts to keep existing customers happy, especially if they are out of contract. Usually, the best deals come from retentions (because they want to "retain" you), and that's also why some people have to threaten to cancel or make vague references to better deals offered by other companies- sometime they won't give you a discount unless they're afraid you'll leave.

Here's another example: Many people have gotten $20 off for six months for switching to Total Choice Premier, or even $10 off the regular Total Choice package. There's a thread that's been running about this on the Tivo Community forums since 2002.

I've never tried it, personally, largely because I don't want to lie and I love DirecTV and have no intention of switching. Lately, though, I have been considering just calling and telling them I've been a customer for years and years, and asking for a discount. Sometimes that works, too, I've heard.

I understand your postion about not lying. But I didn't lie, I just asked if there was a promotion for existing customers. Never mentioned switching or anything, and she said my account was elegible for $100 of promotion. It's more a program to reward customers, than an attempt to keep them. That was my experience anyway.

I understand your postion about not lying. But I didn't lie, I just asked if there was a promotion for existing customers. Never mentioned switching or anything, and she said my account was elegible for $100 of promotion. It's more a program to reward customers, than an attempt to keep them. That was my experience anyway.

Oh, I wasn't accusing anyone of lying, and especially not you. My comment was just that companies like DirecTV will give you a lot of stuff for free, but many times people have to talk about leaving, and I'm not willing to do that.

As to it being a "reward" program, I guess it's possible, but it's been my experience that most of these things are designed to retain customers, because it's still cheaper than attracting new ones. Thus, the best deals are often had in retentions.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I've also heard that many people have had good luck just calling up and asking for a discount without threats or lies. I think it depends on the mood of the CSR you get.

Same thing happenned to me. Just moved and wanted to get DVR and more rooms, DISH Net gave some ridiculous price and I complained about existing customers getting the shaft. One day later the Customer Service manager calls my wife and she say's she doesn't want the service anymore because of what happenned long story short got 2 room DVR and 4 total rooms for $15 more than I payed before.

Same thing happenned to me. Just moved and wanted to get DVR and more rooms, DISH Net gave some ridiculous price and I complained about existing customers getting the shaft. One day later the Customer Service manager calls my wife and she say's she doesn't want the service anymore because of what happenned long story short got 2 room DVR and 4 total rooms for $15 more than I payed before.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. DirecTV "loses" money on you, because you are getting a price that's lower than what you'd normally have to pay, and they gave you some free equipment. On the other hand, it's a lot cheaper for them than the hunderds of dollars (I forget the exact number) it costs them to attract a new customer, so they still come out ahead. Not to mention you actually ended up paying more.

In my experience, all of these deals are retention deals, but people can sometimes get them from regular CSRs, and sometimes just by asking nicely.

Many times, by the way, you have to extend your contract to get these deals. That's how they know they've "retained" you.

I certainly didnt have to lie to them. I already get the top programming package that they offer and NFL Ticket, and have for years now. I just called inquiring about the deals I had heard about, and they offered me the same and then some.

I certainly didnt have to lie to them. I already get the top programming package that they offer and NFL Ticket, and have for years now. I just called inquiring about the deals I had heard about, and they offered me the same and then some.

Just for clarification, I just want to state again that I am not accusing anyone of lying, explicitly or implicitly. What I was talking about was merely in the context of what people can do to get discounts.

I'm not surprised they gave you a deal, though. You sound like a very profitable customer, and they want to keep you happy. Did you have to extend your contract?

I didn't take any offense TB I know what you meant. I just wanted to clarify, that apparently there isn't a need to talk of switching or renew your contract. From the way the rep said it, everyone has an annual promo on their account that is based, probably, on how much a month you spend. You just need to call and collect it. That really was all there was to it. Seems hard to believe but I think you just need to have a little faith this time. ;)

Thanks SkinsandTerps!

Got the 6 mos. Showtime deal and the rep told me what they're doing with Superfan is charging customers the amount they paid in '05 and refunding that amount this year. I paid $49 last year, will pay $49 this year, and will receive a $49 credit this year. She said that was automatic, and not part of this promotion.

edited for crappy typing

Just for clarification, I just want to state again that I am not accusing anyone of lying, explicitly or implicitly. What I was talking about was merely in the context of what people can do to get discounts.

I'm not surprised they gave you a deal, though. You sound like a very profitable customer, and they want to keep you happy. Did you have to extend your contract?

The CSR was repeatedly informing about how great a client I was, and how there were several upgrades/discounts they could offer me.

I didnt extend my contract at all. It wasnt even a topic discussed.

I got a deal that was worth that 5 minutes of phone time, without having to grovel, beg, or threaten. I simply asked and received.

And I didnt think you were pointing fingers, I just wanted to clarify as well, that tactics like that werent needed.

I didnt extend my contract at all. It wasnt even a topic discussed.

That surprises me a bit. Actually, though, having the contract extended is not necessarily a bad thing, if one intends to stay. For one thing, it freezes the customer at the current rate for the length of the contract, even if rates go up. When I bought a new TIVO a few years ago, I had to sign a new contract to get a rebate, but they raised their rates right after, and I ended up saving money for a year.

Thanks SkinsandTerps!

Got the 6 mos. Showtime deal and the rep told me what they're doing with Superfan is charging customers the amount they payed in '05 and refunding that amount this year. I paid $49 last year, will pay $49 this year, and will receive a $49 credit this year. She said that was automatic, and not part of this promotion.

Thats awesome. You are welcome.

I am excited for Superfan mainly for the Short Cuts portion (all games shown in 30 minutes or less, I can record 4 games on one DVD.). The Game Mix and Red Zone, wont likely see as much action on my TV. But who knows.

I didnt have it last season, but they threw it in for free.

That surprises me a bit. Actually, though, having the contract extended is not necessarily a bad thing, if one intends to stay. For one thing, it freezes the customer at the current rate for the length of the contract, even if rates go up. When I bought a new TIVO a few years ago, I had to sign a new contract to get a rebate, but they raised their rates right after, and I ended up saving money for a year.

I was expecting a little bait and switch tactic also, or some mail-in rebate crap. But simply not the case.

I guess they got me on the hook for 10 bucks a month for the HD package, but I was going to get it anyway. And they gave me the first 3 months at no charge. And a 20 dollar discount off my normal bill for 6 months. That alone is 150 bucks.

So the guy came out yesterday, hooked everything up and life is grand.

New Dish (LN5 ?) HD Receiver, with the inside track to upgrade for a new one with DVR (Upgrading in my area before the end of the year) at no cost or at a substantial discount (per the CSR).

Not to manage all of the discounts for SuperFan, my current programming, and HD programming.

Thanks for the heads up. I have them installing the NEW HD dish and giving me a new HD receiver to get me local stations in HD all at no charge. I do have to give a two year commitment, but considering I've been in 5 and have no intention of leaving, that works for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I have them installing the NEW HD dish and giving me a new HD receiver to get me local stations in HD all at no charge. I do have to give a two year commitment, but considering I've been in 5 and have no intention of leaving, that works for me.

You are welcome. Just trying to help some folks out.

Got the newest dish and man is it big (in comparison to the old DTV dish), but I think... come football season, I will really be happy.

Thats how I felt too. I didnt say to the CSR that I was leaving or anything like that, I simply inquired about the deals that I heard/read others were getting. And the set me up pretty nicely.

Again, :cheers:

I have been on this board since almost its inception and I constantly am amazed at how we help each other with the deals that happen out in the world.

They are replacing my two 8 year old receivers with new ones and adding a DVR to the deal so that I have 2 now (I wonder what type it is) and they gave me 6 months Showtime.

Killer. Thanks for the info folks.

I have been on this board since almost its inception and I constantly am amazed at how we help each other with the deals that happen out in the world.

They are replacing my two 8 year old receivers with new ones and adding a DVR to the deal so that I have 2 now (I wonder what type it is) and they gave me 6 months Showtime.

Killer. Thanks for the info folks.

Sounds like a sweet deal. Happy to help you out bro.

There are plenty of Redskins fans around where I live, yet I started to tell them about these deals and not one of them had DirecTv.

Guess between that and the kegerator thats why they are always at my house for games.

:laugh: :cheers:

I called DirectV yesterday. They gave me the superfan pkg for free, they are upgrading my receivers, giving me all the premium channels free for 3 months and giving me a DVr for free. Sweet deal from them.

I couldn't see comcast doing any of that.

Thanks for this original post!

I just called in and they as well gave me the SuperFan. They would not however give me the 6 months of showtime.

EDIT: I called back and they gave me showtime as well. :applause: :applause:

• 1 year later...
Bump. They asked for a pin number this year. Anyone have any idea what that's all about? Looks like I might get fooked out of my free stuff this year. :(

Random Bump. But funny for me to read again.

I am sure they will send it to you either paper or E-Mail if you don't know. Personally I have no idea what my pin number is. I know my online password and user name.

I haven't called yet this year, but I won't pay for Superfan. I think it is a cool feature and enjoy it, but realistically it isn't worth 100 bucks to me. As long as I have the Ticket and HD... all is well.

I will update this thread probably in the next week or two. I have a feeling I will get SF for free again.

Archived