Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Doping scandal: Ullrich suspended

webnarc

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/06/30/tour.doping.ap/index.html

STRASBOURG, France (AP) -- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich was suspended by his racing team Friday amid a doping scandal in Spain, forcing him out of cycling's premier race.

Oscar Sevilla, Ullrich's teammate, also was suspended by the T-Mobile team.

"They will not ride in the Tour" that starts Saturday, T-Mobile spokesman Luuc Eisenga said.

The team also suspended sporting director Rudi Pevenage, he said.

Ullrich won the 1997 Tour de France, and was considered one of the favorites for this year's race.

Tour organizers decided Tuesday that evidence against Ullrich was too limited to ask him to withdraw. On Friday, Eisenga said the team was acting on "very concrete information," but didn't elaborate.

Ullrich and Sevilla were among 56 cyclists named in a Spanish probe as having contact with a doctor charged in connection with alleged doping, a Spanish radio station reported Thursday.

Cadena SER said the Civil Guard decoded the names from notes taken by Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes. Other names included Spaniards Francisco Mancebo, Joseba Beloki, Roberto Heras, Santi Perez, Jose Enrique Gutierrez and Colombian Santiago Botero, the station reported. It wasn't immediately clear what Fuentes' relationship was with the cyclists.

Two Spanish cycling teams -- Astana-Wurth and Comunidad Valenciana -- have been implicated. Comunidad Valenciana had its invitation to compete in the Tour rescinded, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Thursday that the Astana-Wurth team couldn't be excluded from the race.

I guess he'll have to wait another year.

lol..now that Lance is out of racing...now all the doping attention will be spread out, and not just on him...and cyclists thought it was a good thing that he retire... :doh:

:laugh:

I almost feel for him, he was a contender for most of the last 7 but out classed by Lance, but he's made a living riding his bike so I'm keeping my sympathy.

When I read the headline I figured it would have been the french who broke the story, but it was the Spanish.

Archived