Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have experience with Scooters / Mopeds ?

Mickalino

I'm seriously considering getting a scooter, or a moped - what is the difference between the 2, anyway ??? Anyhow, my plan is to have it just as a backup, in case of emergency. I'm moving further from my job, so I'm concerned I may need it in case my 9 year-old truck breaks down. So, can anyone give me general feedback on it, from experience, as far as shopping for the right one, maintaining it, and tips on riding it to avoid getting killed, insurance and registration requirements etc.

My ex-roomate had a scooter because of a DUI. I think the main difference is that mopeds have pedals that are used to change gears (?) I'm really unsure what the pedals do on a moped, but a scooter is just simple gas and brakes....like an automatic car. The gas is on the right handle and there are front brakes on the right handle and back brakes on the left.

Some of them can go pretty fast too and they're fun as hell to ride. My roomate had a Yamaha Zuma which was pretty nice. Vespa is also a good brand. Plus they're great on gas and you can possibly maneuver through traffic jams in them.

Hope this helps.

:movefast:

They do have one thing in common.

You can't impress chicks on either one of them :laugh:

My dad had a red 'scooter' when I was a kid growing up in Northern Virginia and used to take us out on it. It was fun.

Mick....I gotta say, you are an interesting guy. Hope I get the chance to hang out with you one of these days.

Couldnt you get a ticket for that ?

I heard that you still have to obey all traffic laws, just like automobiles ?

Well I didn't say anything about it being legal. I was just pointing out that you could do it.;)

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure you can get a ticket for that, unless maybe you use the bike lane? I know that you don't need a driver's license to operate one as long as you keep it under a certain speed. I believe it's 40mph? Not too sure.

Well I didn't say anything about it being legal. I was just pointing out that you could do it.;)

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure you can get a ticket for that, unless maybe you use the bike lane? I know that you don't need a driver's license to operate one as long as you keep it under a certain speed. I believe it's 40mph? Not too sure.

Actually I believe they go by the horsepower of the engine, not the speed.

If it's OVER 40 CC's, then it's considered an automobile.

At least you were right about the number 40. :)

They do have one thing in common.

You can't impress chicks on either one of them :laugh:

My dad had a red 'scooter' when I was a kid growing up in Northern Virginia and used to take us out on it. It was fun.

Mick....I gotta say, you are an interesting guy. Hope I get the chance to hang out with you one of these days.

So, I learned 2 things from your post.

Number 1, I wont be impressing Chicks.

Number 2 - On the other hand, maybe I can impress Tarhog sometime soon :laugh:

So, I learned 2 things from your post.

Number 1, I wont be impressing Chicks.

Number 2 - On the other hand, maybe I can impress Tarhog sometime soon :laugh:

Yeah, but as anyone here who's met me (and some who haven't) can tell you ....

I'm easy :)

Stay away from mopeds, but a real Vespa is the height of coolness, at least if you're a twenty year old Italian student in Roma. :D If it works for Audrey Hepburn it can't be bad.

Vespa_vacanze_romane--200x200.jpg

I had a Vespa scooter for a while. A lot of fun and popular with the sensitive student types I dated who didn't want to ride a real scary motorbike.

I wasn't sure if they have the same street cred in Florida, but:

http://www.vespafortlauderdale.com/vespa_scooter_news.shtml

Mandy Moore, Gwyneth Paltrow and Diane Lane also love Vespas :D

I used to have a Honda Elite 150 back in my UMCP days. I could fill it up for about $1 and it used to get up to 68mph...70-75 going downhill with the wind at my back:) For someone who couldn't afford a car it was really practical and a lot of fun to boot.

The drawbacks were that I was too stupid to wear a helmet, and also it got stolen a few times. The last time it was stolen it got totaled and I was then presented with a choice. I could take the insurance check and get a "real" bike (I had been slobbering over the crotch rockets for some time) or beyotch up and get a car.

Then, for once in my life I actually listened to that little voice in my head. It was saying, you'll kill yourself on that fool thing. I beyotched up and got the car and I'm still alive and in one piece to tell about it.

Reader's Digest version: They're a lot of fun but don't take them lightly. You can get just as dead on a scooter or moped as a motorcycle. If you decide to do it, take a rider's course and always think safety first.;)

Scooters are like fat women. Fun to ride till your friends see you on one......

Mopeds have peddals, scooters don't. In fl, under 50cc you don't need any licencing, but there so umder powered the suck.

Scooter is the way to go. Far moer mainstream, so getting repairs and parts is easier. Honda and yamaha have some real nice stuff. If you want to go full bore Vespa makes some real killer stuff.

:cheers:

Archived