Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

usatoday Redskins report

tonyriggins

yeah i saw that posted on another website, i love that line.

CP wants to win more than anything and i love him for that

Yeah really I mean from the RB situation he came from in Denver where there was a functioning system and he was breaking records left and right - to a new system he had trouble adapting his ridiculous speed to, not to mention that the team was just in transition period.

He barely ever complained, seems to have matured, is definately a leader and pass blocks like a demon. CP rules.

He barely ever complained, seems to have matured, is definately a leader and pass blocks like a demon. CP rules.

Yeah, the pass blocking is the one thing about CP that has impressed me. I remember a few games where he leveled blitzing linebackers. I don't know of too many running backs that can make a linebacker look at the sky.

what defines a "Franchise Player"

It is a "Tag" that a team can put upon a player (Like Seattle did to Walter Jones and the Colts did to Edge last season)

instead of signing them to a deal. There really isn't anything the player can do about it.

It is essentially a 1 year guaranteed (but no signing bonus) contract that is the average of the top 3 salaries for a player of that position.

It is a way to hold on to a player one more year before you lose them or is also a way for a team to trade a player with an expiring contract (Like the Jets did John Abraham) so they get some value for them - and the team getting the franchise player is the one that absorbs the total of the salary, none of it accelerates towards the first teams cap like a normal contract's signing bonus.

I think it works pretty much like the kind of one year tendered amount that a restricted free agent gets when their 3 year rookie contract runs out. Like the RFA tag that B-lloyd had from the 49ers when we traded for him, then we signed him to our own contract just like the Falcons did Abraham.

Thats pretty much how I understand it but I'm sure someone else knows it better than me.

:point2sky

that was a great article and that portis quote was awesome. if betts is as good as saunders says we could have a nasty 2 back system with clinton being much more rested come playoff time.

Betts IS that good. Maybe not pro-bowl good, but very good. I beleive injuries have hampered him. I think what many others have posted on this board. It will be interesting to see if he sticks around. He has a very good chance to start elsewhere, as Clinton is going nowhere.

that was a great article and that portis quote was awesome. if betts is as good as saunders says we could have a nasty 2 back system with clinton being much more rested come playoff time.

Bingo.

This team isn't about personal records. KC was operating a 2 back system with LJ and PH. I think Saunders is probably stay with the same formula with our guys. Why wear down Portis like last year.

As far as CP's pass blocking, remember when he leveled Shelton Quarles in the Tampa playoff game. CP had 2 bruised shoulders and he hit Quarles so hard it took the punkass linebacker 5 minutes to recover. CP has some serious heart.

Archived