Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ponder This What If

DWinzit

In 2002 Dan Snyder hired his wonderboy Steve Spurrior. The two wanted to revamp the Redskins offense. They looked to make a glamorous splash in the draft, searching for "pitchers and catchers". The Skins had mostly slower big receivers and Stephen Davis at RB.

They traded down a couple times in the first round and were able to get their man, Patrick Ramsey. In the second round pick they watched the WR's they wanted go off the board. Three picks away and there was still one player on the board that would be a perfect fit to the Fun n Gun. Arizona and Houston made their lousy as usual picks, one more to go. Then Denver picks did it, they picked Clinton Portis. The Redskins had to regroup, so they trade down 4 picks with Baltimore and took Ladell Betts.

So how would history have changed if Portis had lasted one more pick? Would Champ still be with us? What would we have done with the traded 41st pick in the 2004 draft? How would CP have changed the Spurrior era? Might he still be here? Would we have picked up some blockers for poor Ramsey? Might he now be a star?

1. Maybe. Depends on our record.

2. Guard?

3. Who knows. Spurrier didn't really get a lot of time to show much. He had a lot of time to show nothing, though.

4. Maybe. Depends on our record.

5. Hopefully. Some of Ramsey getting hit had nothing to do with blockers. More about scheme and Ramsey holding the ball too long.

6. Ramsey a star? Sure, why not. Ramsey never has gotten full control. He's always been on a mess-up-and-you're-out string.

1. Maybe. Depends on our record.

2. Guard?

3. Who knows. Spurrier didn't really get a lot of time to show much. He had a lot of time to show nothing, though.

4. Maybe. Depends on our record.

5. Hopefully. Some of Ramsey getting hit had nothing to do with blockers. More about scheme and Ramsey holding the ball too long.

6. Ramsey a star? Sure, why not. Ramsey never has gotten full control. He's always been on a mess-up-and-you're-out string.

I agree that draft pick would either have been OG or DL.

Spurrior did show little!

I also agree Ramsey was never given a fair chance and held the ball too long. With a scheme that allowed another blocker to stay in, which Portis would have crreated, he would have had more time.

Portis is a better player for having played in Denver where he learned to run in the best rushing offense in the league. They taught him the right tools to take elsewhere and be successful. I feel like if he hadn't played under Mike Shanahan, he wouldn't be the great player he is today--he would have learned to rely on his natural athleticism, rather than technical skills. For example, he'd still be a hard runner who doesn't go down after the first hit, but he wouldn't be as good as he is in blitz pickup and pass receiving.

I think Spurrier's idea of how to coach an NFL team would have doomed just about any player he drafted, and Portis may have been one of those victims.

Portis would not have been as good as he is now having spent time in Denver. I thoroughly believe Patrick Ramsey would have been a huge talent if Spurrier didn't screw with him so early in his career..

I mean look at Chris Samuels. It took him 2 years to shake off that spurrier crap.

Coulda woulda shoulda. :doh:

Casserly's gone. Spurrier's gone. Ramsey's gone. Bailey's gone. Good riddence.

Time to move on and be thankful for what you have.

Right now, I wouldn't change a thing.

:helmet:

:D I sure would like to change our record alot during the Spurrier years!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Screw Spurrier, I watched film over the weekend of his reign and I still cringed for poor Ramsey(expecially during the Dallas game), and how horrid the team looked as a unit.

Fans from all NFL teams felt sorry for Patrick. It was heart wrenching to watch.

In 2002 Dan Snyder hired his wonderboy Steve Spurrior. The two wanted to revamp the Redskins offense. They looked to make a glamorous splash in the draft, searching for "pitchers and catchers". The Skins had mostly slower big receivers and Stephen Davis at RB.

They traded down a couple times in the first round and were able to get their man, Patrick Ramsey. In the second round pick they watched the WR's they wanted go off the board. Three picks away and there was still one player on the board that would be a perfect fit to the Fun n Gun. Arizona and Houston made their lousy as usual picks, one more to go. Then Denver picks did it, they picked Clinton Portis. The Redskins had to regroup, so they trade down 4 picks with Baltimore and took Ladell Betts.

So how would history have changed if Portis had lasted one more pick? Would Champ still be with us? What would we have done with the traded 41st pick in the 2004 draft? How would CP have changed the Spurrior era? Might he still be here? Would we have picked up some blockers for poor Ramsey? Might he now be a star?

Why do people do this to themselves?

Archived