Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ponder This What If

DWinzit

In 2002 Dan Snyder hired his wonderboy Steve Spurrior. The two wanted to revamp the Redskins offense. They looked to make a glamorous splash in the draft, searching for "pitchers and catchers". The Skins had mostly slower big receivers and Stephen Davis at RB.

They traded down a couple times in the first round and were able to get their man, Patrick Ramsey. In the second round pick they watched the WR's they wanted go off the board. Three picks away and there was still one player on the board that would be a perfect fit to the Fun n Gun. Arizona and Houston made their lousy as usual picks, one more to go. Then Denver picks did it, they picked Clinton Portis. The Redskins had to regroup, so they trade down 4 picks with Baltimore and took Ladell Betts.

So how would history have changed if Portis had lasted one more pick? Would Champ still be with us? What would we have done with the traded 41st pick in the 2004 draft? How would CP have changed the Spurrior era? Might he still be here? Would we have picked up some blockers for poor Ramsey? Might he now be a star?

I just cant see Clinton making that big of a difference with the schemes they had in place. Same goes for Ramsey. Spurrier and gang didnt have a clue how to protect him, nor did they seem to care. He would have taken the same beating with or without Portis.

On the Bailey thought... He is gone now and I don't think already having Portis would have changed how Bailey felt about the organization. He seemed to want out for one reason or another.

Now to the future... In walked Gibbs, and the rest his history... HTTR

Portis would never have put up the numbers under Spurrier that he put up while in Denver. He may have wanted out of D.C. like so many other players that came along during the "dark years"..lol..So, in reality we probably wouldn't have Champ Bailey (he'd still want out, too), we may still have Portis but possibly not the same dynamic Portis we have now, we'd still be without Ramsey.

this is the offseason and that guy is bored

I must be too! I was thinking while reading the original post that it must have taken awhile to come up with this type of info. And to think we arent that far into the six week break...lol

Imagine that Spurrier not only had Portis, but also Tom Brady and Peyton Manning as the QBs, Harrison, R. Moss, and TO as receivers, and Dan Snyder went back in time with the "Back to the Future" car and brought back the Hogs of the 80s and the '85 Bears defense in their respective primes.

That doofus Ol' Ball Coach probably still would've finished below .500!!

I hated spurrior as much as everyone else. The idea was to make you ponder the possibilities. If Portis had been with Spurrior he would have been used moe like Westbrook is with the eagles, 15-25 rushes and 5-15 receptions. CP would have allowed Spurrior to have more success in the spread and put CP in the open field more. His presents may have allowed another blocker to protect and would have kept defenses wondering where he would be. Instead they all knew Ramsey would be a sitting duck.

It's really simple... A hole in the fabric of time would have appeared sucking all of us in. Had Clinton Portis lasted an additional pick' date=' we'd be playing football with cavemen. Mango salsa anyone?[/quote']

I dont have much of an appetite, thank you! :silly:

Actually, we supposedly WERE planning on drafting Portis, and were shocked when Denver (which already had Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary) took him. I actually think Portis would've put up great numbers under Spurrier. Even more importantly, he would've given us something we didn't have after we cut Watson - a RB who could pick up the blitz. CP last year was the best RB in the NFL at picking up blitzes. Betts and Canidate were absolutely pathetic, which is one of the big reasons Ramsey kept getting killed.

I don't know though really, I'm just starting to follow college football and the NFL Draft so I don't know what type of prospect Clinton Portis was. All I can say is Im gratefull that we have Clinton Portis now and same thing goes with the whole Santana Moss draft thing where Dan Snyder wanted Santana Moss but Marty Shottenhiemer wanted Rod Gardner so they picked Rod Gardner. I seriously doubt Santana Moss would of been the player he was for us this year.

I actually think Portis would've put up great numbers under Spurrier. Even more importantly, he would've given us something we didn't have after we cut Watson - a RB who could pick up the blitz. CP last year was the best RB in the NFL at picking up blitzes. Betts and Canidate were absolutely pathetic, which is one of the big reasons Ramsey kept getting killed.

It's strange how underrated blitz pickup is in the backfield. Funny how The Rams drafted Canidate in 2000 to replace Faulk.

I just cant see Clinton making that big of a difference with the schemes they had in place. Same goes for Ramsey. Spurrier and gang didnt have a clue how to protect him, nor did they seem to care. He would have taken the same beating with or without Portis.

On the Bailey thought... He is gone now and I don't think already having Portis would have changed how Bailey felt about the organization. He seemed to want out for one reason or another.

Now to the future... In walked Gibbs, and the rest his history... HTTR

I agree with this..:2cents:

Actually, we supposedly WERE planning on drafting Portis, and were shocked when Denver (which already had Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary) took him. I actually think Portis would've put up great numbers under Spurrier. Even more importantly, he would've given us something we didn't have after we cut Watson - a RB who could pick up the blitz. CP last year was the best RB in the NFL at picking up blitzes. Betts and Canidate were absolutely pathetic, which is one of the big reasons Ramsey kept getting killed.

I remember watching a few games last year with a buddy of mine who's a Denver fan, and he was surprised to see how well Portis picks up the blitz. I think that's something that was markedly improved in his game under this coaching staff.

I remember watching a few games last year with a buddy of mine who's a Denver fan, and he was surprised to see how well Portis picks up the blitz. I think that's something that was markedly improved in his game under this coaching staff.

Yeah, it takes a lot of coaching, experience and film watching to pick up this art!

Archived