Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breakout debate....

Art

Which unit had the better half of football.

The offense with 176 yards, 10 points, and 15:57 time of possession, one turnover.

Or the defense, with 207 yards surrendered, 132 of them on the ground, with no turnovers and no three and outs forced.

Typical Art fashion. Manipulative.

The 2nd half would show the defense was very stingy right up until the final drive and forced a turnover.

Whilethe offense has the ball for even less and scored 0 points while surrending another turnover.

I honestly don't know what this poll achieves.

Yeah, Die Hard, you are correct. But, I'm not the one questioning the offense had a pretty good first half. That's you and Madd. I'm not the one calling the defense "wonderful". Yeah, the defense did a fantastic job for most of the third quarter. This poll is to, hopefully, demonstrate to Madd that the defense didn't play pretty darned well early in the game as he has said and that perhaps more than one person thinks the offense had a better first half.

The second half the offense was horrible. We agree there. The defense was outstanding much of the second half, but that doesn't excuse the last eight minute drive, or, really, the field goal drive that took 4 minutes. The defense gave up 20 and the Niners could have scored more on them at the end because of horrible play.

Oh, and DH, don't edit my polls brother. Start your own if you want to add something in.

But, be sure to add that in 14:03 minutes of time of possession the Niners had in the first half, 10:09 of that came on their drives where we "forced" them to punt. Color me not impressed :).

Yuck. Color me wondering what the next two weeks are going to be like around here if we're at this point already.

If I have to compare the Offensive performance with the Defense's, I guess I'm seeing it more as a matter of expectation than anything else.

I'm seeing an offense unlike any the NFL has seen to date, taking baby steps towards competency, with a QB best suited to back-up starting; another best suited to parcheesi backing up; and a third best suited to diapers projected to start soon, because the first two simply are not talented enough to overcome all the other variables; like an OL and WR corp still finding their way, just to name two. And with a coach fresh out of college, still trying to find his way with live bullets flying. In short, about what I expected coming in, despite a short flirtation with ****iness about a month ago when we crushed Tampa in the preseason. That ended for me against NE a week later ... since then, I've been trying to remain patient.

I'm seeing a defense, on the other hand, that was universally hailed as being at the very least damn solid out of the gate, and more often than not predicted to be downright dominating by just about everyone who has an opinion, from expert to the rest of us. I have YET to see that, with the excpetion of a series or two in the preseason – Carolina in particular – a few series against the Cardinals, and a few series against the rotten-gut 49ers.

But the two units were NOT supposed to be on equal footing out of the gate. Only the most optimistic among us really expected the O to be in sync or particularly effective early – certainly not against good defenses. But we ALL expected the D to "be there." I mean, am I mis-remembering this completely? They were being dubbed among the very best in the league right up until kickoff on Opening Day.

Truth is, while trying to retain some perspective what with all the changes, I'm still damn disappointed in BOTH units. I'm just surprised at one of them.

And by the way ... I realize this may be met with derision in some quarters, but ... it IS a team game. O and D feed off each other. It's a rare bird indeed that can do what the Ravens did in 2000, when one unit carries a club all the way. Very rare. You gotta have SOME balance.

I didn't expect our D to be that good this early, but the fact is I expected a whole lot more than they've given us.

Offense. This is easy because the D was SUPPOSED to be the shoulder we would lean on while the O was known to be a work in progress. We had a good D at the end of last year, so all we expected was carry-over and yet, they are far worse than last year.

The O on the other hand is at least decent, given the fact that the two QB's we have both have major flaws to their game, there where still guys open and plays to be made. If we just had someone to get them the ball. And of course the line play isn't helping. But again, these things where to be expected.

To be fair to the defense(and i've said this several times today) the two TD's they gave up in the first half were a direct result of poor field position(the first starting at the Redskin 15 and the other at the Redskin 37).

Sure, the offense had the better half, but the defense wasn't exactly helped out by the offense either.

For the game though, the defense played better! They kept us in the game for cryin' out loud!

HTTR!!

Archived