Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs and arena racing

skinsfan1992

I just heard that Joe Gibbs and his partners from Joe Gibbs Racing are going to be making an anouncement on Monday concerning JGR buying into arena racing usa which races here in Norfolk and Hampton

FYI Denny Hamlin has raced in this series

more info Monday when the deal is announced

I have been a Nascar fan for a few years and follow the Busch an Truck's to but could someone tell me what arena racing is. I can kinda figure it out by the name and logic but if someone could tell me where I could find out moreinfo on the net I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gibbs, Stewart back grassroots racing league

Gibbs, Stewart back grassroots racing leagueBy JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Joe Gibbs does his best to keep Tony Stewart from racing outside of Nextel Cup competition. Backing an indoor stock-car series probably won't help his efforts.

Gibbs on Monday invested in Arena Racing USA, a grassroots league that uses half-scale stock cars on a 1/10th-mile banked track. The minimum age limit requirement is 14, and the series is open to anyone -- including Stewart.

"I want this on the record -- I will race in the Arena league," Stewart said. "I learned a long time ago at Joe Gibbs Racing that it is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission."

The news made Gibbs cringe: Stewart constantly runs extracurricular races in other series, but the defending Nextel Cup champion injured his arm and ribs when he flipped a sprint car earlier this year, and he broke his right shoulder blade last month in a Busch Series race.

But when the Arena Racing league begins in November, Gibbs has a feeling Stewart will be there along with teammates Denny Hamlin and J.J. Yeley.

The league has been running in Virginia since 2003 at the Hampton Coliseum and the Norfolk Scope, and Hamlin even competed in several events before he broke into NASCAR.

Gibbs' son, Coy, discovered the league and convinced his father to check it out.

"The concept, when we heard about it, was very exciting," Gibbs said. "It provides great competition at a time of the year when motorsports is typically dormant. Plus, it's a cost-effective way to get started in racing."

Gibbs found another investor in Norm Miller, chairman of Interstate Batteries and the longtime sponsor of Gibbs' No. 18 Chevrolet. It made it possible to schedule a 12-race season at the Cricket Arena in Charlotte that will run Nov. 11 through March 24.

The league is aimed at budding young racers who want to either hone their skills or test them against more experienced drivers. The startup costs run about $15,000, and the season-ending point champion earns $10,000.

Hamlin, who scored his first Cup victory on Sunday at Pocono Raceway, thinks the series is an excellent starting point for future racers. "It drives very similar to a go-kart, it has that type feel, but it has a body on it," Hamlin said. "It's a pretty exciting series. I'll for sure do some races, maybe one or two or maybe even five, but I'll be there

Archived