Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republican Contract With America

AlexRS

http://www.house.gov/house/Contract/CONTRACT.html

REPUBLICAN CONTRACT WITH AMERICA

FIRST, require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply equally to the Congress;

SECOND, select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;

THIRD, cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;

FOURTH, limit the terms of all committee chairs;

FIFTH, ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;

SIXTH, require committee meetings to be open to the public;

SEVENTH, require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;

EIGHTH, guarantee an honest accounting of our Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.

Only problem was with number 2... Why did they have to choose Dubai? Wasn't there an American Firm capable of conducting a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse.

Actually, my only serious problem was three... jus because it seems so arbitrary.

Number 8 needing to include the word Honest" makes me wonder why it isn't used in the first 7 or needs to be specified here. Seems dishonest to me.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when Republican/Conservatives control the White House, both Houses of Congress, and the Supreme Court, and are calling for reform... lol

This was circa 1994

As a young 12 year old, it had a profound effect on me, almost made too much sense

Archived