Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another Art Monk HOF thread

Langford78

I've been trying for quite a while now to figure out exactly why Art Monk isn't in the Hall yet. I know he was quiet and didn't speak to the press much, but Eddie Murray was the same way and he's in the baseball HOF. Like what's been stated on this site so many times, Monk was one of the best in the game for most of his career and held several receiving records when he retired. It is a crime that he wasn't voted into the hall during his first year of elligable, much less the following years.

This has always seemed simple to me. Monk broke Largent's record. Rice broke Monk's record. Largent is in the HOF and Rice will be a 1st balloter. Clearly, Monk should be there too.

Or, to make it even simpler: Monk has more receptions than anybody presently in the HOF.

Dr. Z really irritates me. He said his main reason for never voting for Monk to be inducted is because all of the passes he caught were "just short 8-10 yard hooks". Well, first of all, this isn't true. And second, I can't remember any good receiver who didn't catch short passes. Just because EVERY one of Art's catches wasn't an incredible 50+ yard TD reception dosn't mean he should be kept out of the HOF.

Baseball fans and writers generally have much more respect for statistical achievements than do football fans/writers. 500 home runs OR 3000 hits is enough to guarantee you entry into the HOF, and Eddie Murray had both.

In football, reaching similar statistical plateaus (sp?) doesn't necessarily mean HOF. Vinny Testaverde has over 45,000 passing yards, but few, if any, consider him to be a serious HOF candidate.

Of course, Testaverde wasn't an integral part of 3 Championship teams, but my point is that if he had had a similar career in baseball - finishing in the top 10 in a statistical category of that importance, he would certainly be a candidate, and probably a HOFer.

Now there are reasons for this. Stats give you a much better idea of a player's worth in baseball. A great WR, QB, or RB may have mediocre stats on a bad team. Similarly, a mediocre player might put up really good stats on a great team. Conversly, a great hitter will put up great stats regardless of the line-up around him.

Archived