Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The effect of our Safeties on our draft needs

RIDETHEWALRUS

It is widely accepted across this message board that we need more depth at CB and may need to aquire a starting caliber WLB. What I am wondering is this...does the development of ST and the addition of AA make either position less important?

When Holdman started at WLB last year several big runs were broken against us. Clemons is unproven. We don't really have aclue what Sykes can do. In the offseason we added AA to replace Clark (whose side most of the big runs came against). AA is regarded as stout against the run. ST has yet another year under his belt hopefully improving his ability to diagnose plays and make more tackles at the LOS.

Kenny Wright started all 16 games last season for the 7th ranked D. Despite this he garnered little interest in the FA market and many on this board are worried about his ability to step in if Springs or Rogers goes down. Once again we have AA, which I believe to be an upgrade over Clark. AA has not proven himself to be very good against the pass however. ST, once again, is a year older. He should be more capable of providing help to our CBs if need be.

I believe that CB is more of a need based on the status of our secondary. I think the addition of AA makes our need at WLB very much less dire. I am also nervous about AA's cover skills because he has very few INTs in his career.

What do yall think?

Daniel Bullocks

Height: 6-0 1/2 | Weight: 212 | 40-Time: 4.38

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive...Ballhawk with a nose for the interception...Physical and supports the run well...Has a knack for being around the action...Has good mobility and range...Solid tackler...Very productive...Plays the ball in the air well...Team leader and coach on the field...Three year starter.

Weaknesses:

Is not great in man coverage...Doesn't play to timed speed...Not very agile and does not change directions well...Lacks fluid hips...Doesn't recover well...Is not a big hitter...Probably doesn't have a lot of upside or potential and may be about as good as he will get...Might need to be in the right type of scheme to succeed.

Notes:

Twin brother Josh (who is younger by 1 minute) was a 2nd round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2005...Player with solid measurables and top intangibles...Isn't quite the prospect his brother was a year ago but he isn't too far away either.

Interesting points....but their impact aside...I'd rather have another corner...GW has proven that he can cause LB's to accel in his defense, but CB is more of a skills position that requires the tools when you come in (ie. even GW can't turn Ade Jimoh into a solid corner)...

Interesting points....but their impact aside...I'd rather have another corner...GW has proven that he can cause LB's to accel in his defense, but CB is more of a skills position that requires the tools when you come in (ie. even GW can't turn Ade Jimoh into a solid corner)...

Jimoh improved drastically in 2005 and I believe will continue to improve. Jimoh will be a pleasant surprise next year.

we only have 3 safeties on the roster now(AA, ST, PP) and i think this is an area of concern. i think taking a CB in the draft will take some pressure off our safeties but i think we should look at signing another safety. last year i thought our safety depth was awesome and i loved having all 5 of those guys on the team. i wish we had resigned clark or stoutmire

While Williams has shown a knack for turning no-name LBs into excellent players, he was unable to do anything with Holdman. I would feel very uncomfortable w/ Holdman as our starter (if he plays at last year's level). And I still do not know if Clemons can be an every down LB.

That being said I think AA's ability against the run makes WLB much less of a priority.

we only have 3 safeties on the roster now(AA, ST, PP) and i think this is an area of concern. i think taking a CB in the draft will take some pressure off our safeties but i think we should look at signing another safety. last year i thought our safety depth was awesome and i loved having all 5 of those guys on the team. i wish we had resigned clark or stoutmire

We actually have four, Curry Burns out of Louisville. I agree that we need to add another vet safety but maybe GW feels he can utilize Burns.

When you combine the lack of safeties on the roster and the importance of the safety position in GW's defence, you can bet the farm that a safety will be drafted and it could be drafted as early as pick no. 53.

Ideally the player drafted could be a swing type who can play either FS or SS. IMO, Ko Simpson would be ideal as he can play either spot.

Jimoh improved drastically in 2005 and I believe will continue to improve. Jimoh will be a pleasant surprise next year.

agreed, but he will never be a solid starter - maybe a good nickle back, or a temporary fix, but he doesn't have the tools to perform week after week - but hey, he can prove me wrong and become a pro-bowl caliber corner - I would gladly admit that I was wrong and that he's the man....

It's not just improved safety play that lessens the need for a CB. Getting Andre Carter hopefully has the desired effect of giving us a solid rush from the front four which will leave the CBs less exposed. I also think we will see quite a bit of blitzing out of Archuleta which should help pressure the QB.

Archived